Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 18, 2014 at 15:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Specter Says the Patriots Taped the Steelers Twice  (Read 1119 times)
jrobnz

« on: Feb 14, 2008 at 05:37 »

Well, it looks like Senator Arlen Specter didn't get around to talking about the NFL's antitrust exemption during today's meet-and-greet with commissioner Roger Goodell. As Michael David Smith wrote earlier, Specter learned that the Patriots have been videotaping opponents since 2000, something that wasn't clear when the league concluded its investigation in September.

In a post-meeting press conference, Specter elaborated. The senator said that "there were notes showing that the Steelers games had been taped." Specifically, two contests during the 2004 season: one on Oct. 31, and the other, the AFC Championship, on Jan. 27.

A couple of things worth pointing out: Pittsburgh smoked the Patriots in the first meeting, 34-20, sacking Tom Brady four times and picking him off twice. Three months later, the two teams met in the conference finals. Unsurprisingly (in hindsight), the Patriots won 41-27, and Brady, sacked just twice in the rematch, finished 14 of 21 for 207 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions.

Did New England gain an advantage from having videotaped Pittsburgh during the teams' first meeting? There isn't enough evidence to say that, yes, unequivocally the Patriots won because they had the Steelers' defensive signals. But it would also be na
jrobnz

« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 06:21 »

Arlen's presser

http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id...0f-dcc11c080cfc
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 07:14 »

I'm not giving the Pats a pass here, but wouldn't common sense tell you to change your defensive signals/offensive audibles/whatever for a second meeting with ANY team?

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 08:11 »

I'm not giving the Pats a pass here, but wouldn't common sense tell you to change your defensive signals/offensive audibles/whatever for a second meeting with ANY team?

That's been mentioned several times, that teams regularly change their signals.  But it seems impossible to change EVERY signal throughout the season without completely confusing their defense.  Also, the Stillers defensive playbook is supposedly the size of the Pittsburgh phone book, so I'm not sure how much they could realistically alter week to week.

I don't mean to suggest that you're going "easy" on the Patsies.  But for me, the issue has nothing to do with how much info they actually got from the tapes.  They cheated, they got caught, and they should have paid a much steeper price for it.

If the teacher catches you with a cheat sheet, does she look at it and say, "Well, you know, this isn't really going to help you that much?"  No, she rips up your paper and gives you the zero.  Is a professor going to say, "Well, you plagiarized and copied half of this from the internet, but it really didn't benefit your argument in this paper, so I'll let it slide by counting off 10 points."  No, he gives you an F for the class and puts you up for violating the honor code.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 09:41 »

I don't mean to suggest that you're going "easy" on the Patsies. But for me, the issue has nothing to do with how much info they actually got from the tapes. They cheated, they got caught, and they should have paid a much steeper price for it.

Couldn't agree more.  

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
mrblack66
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 09:56 »

Specters got a real bug up his ass on this one.

It doesn't surprise me and if we can keep throwing buckets of water on the Titanic, then its all good to me.

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 15:59 »

I love Belicheaters alleged response to Goodell "I thought it was within the rules".  So Goodell accepts that and moves on by destroying the evidence?

Sorry judge, I really needed the money and was in a bad mood so I knocked off a bank and shot at a bunch of people.  That's OK, you didn't hurt anyone, just give me the money back and we'll call it good.

I hope Belijerk gets absolutely reemed on this.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
randylwood

« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 09:00 »

I guess what really bothers me about this is the notion that everyone does it and it is no big deal.

First, not everyone does it.

Secondly, of course it is a big deal. Knowing defensive signals allows the offense to adjust blocking, routes, etc., to combat the defense. It is a helluva lot easier to play offense when you know what the defense is doing.

Also, if there is no advantage why does anyone do it?

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

- Jack Lambert. HOF induction 1990

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 09:03 »

Also, if there is no advantage why does anyone do it?

Thank you, good night, and good luck.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
dcity21

« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2008 at 01:08 »

Yeah all this on the heels of Goodell's borderline ridiculous punishment or rogue players..

I hate to say it, but does this border on being racist? I understand the players that got suspended deserved it but the commish took away their livelihood for acts committed outside of the workplace (most of them anyhow)..

Yet, Belichek breaks the rules while at work and gets a slap on the wrist?? 500,000 is nothing to him and the 1st round pick doesn't feel good for the Pats.. but when they still have the #7 pick the lose of the #32 doesn't hurt them one bit..

and the punishment being given before everything was known is very suspicious.. After this ordeal my opinion of Goodell is going down.. and i mean plummetting.. and not necessarily b/c of the hatred i have for the Pats but b/c of how shady he seems to be about all of this..

If he is going to rule with an iron fist he needs to rule Players and Coaches all alike.. HARD!! Just like he gets it from Kraft on every other saturday night in a secluded cabin house..

Seriously though if this cheating goes way back ppl almost have to throw what Brady has done out the window.. B/c it completely changes that circumstances under which he has become one of the best QB's ever.. I mean even i was starting to buy into him as one of the best EVER! But this whole Walsh ordeal could change that..

IF the cheating since 2000 or whenever is true then he becomes nothing more than an above average QB on a good team to me.. Regardless of what he did this year..    

"i don't know Nutting about baseball.. but i know about Nutting over making some cash.." Ownership ROCKS!!!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: