Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 21, 2014 at 22:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping Kemo?  (Read 722 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Feb 18, 2008 at 17:33 »

Kemo will probably return, but I'm having Okobi flashbacks when his agent says he's the presumptive starter at LG.  I mean, he's a solid backup, and I think he could be the anti-Okobi insofar as he's a physical mauler who maybe doesn't have the smarts to start.  Or maybe he does: maybe's he's put it all together now.  Seeing him at Latrobe, dude is big, he can clear a path.  Upgrade C and LT with Kemo in between, that's not a bad gambit.

Does this mean we don't draft another OG?  Uhhh, I still would.  If Kemo starts, who's the depth now?  Mahan?  Stapleton?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 18:08 »

If Kemo takes that LG spot like i think he will..idk if guard is a day 1 need..last yr we had 3 guards..next yr we would go with Kemo, Mahshit, and Simmons.. Plus Colon could be an emergency backup.. Also we got Jeremy Parquett as a practice squad guard...

LT is def the franchise need with Marvels contract ending next season..

Whats your opinion on Stapleton? I think hes the leader for the starting C job...I like the little I saw from him..Maybe draft a guy late day 1/ early day 2 for some backup/competition.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 19:53 »

I think that we should take the BOLA instead of just BAA at 1.23...unless there is a beast out there at that position.  If it happens to be a guard, take him.  I think we then look to replace Simmons and he can be our depth.  

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 20:40 »

"What I took from the conversation is he's going to start at guard (in 2008)," Vierra said about Kemoeatu, a fifth-round pick

Not sure how you make that leap from a conversation with Omar.  He may negotiate the deals, but Tomlin's setting the lineup.  

I'd look for something in the 4 year range.  Low starter/high backup money, whatever the market says that is right now.
padgfrombf

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2008 at 22:22 »

If Kemoeatu starts at LG, there's no way that the Steelers have the same playbook next year.  No offense to Kemo, but some of those running plays had Faneca pulling across the entire line.  No way does CK have that kind of speed.

The Steelers would appear to be trending toward the House o' Beef line of the Vikings, which would put Simmons as lightweight.

I have some hopes for Stapleton overcoming Mahan.  He had a decent camp as an undersized 280# center; he's supposedly put on 15# or so since then.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 10:03 »

Still think the best POA is to buy a FA OC and draft a couple of OTs.  Or, at the very least, one "franchise" type OT and one "versatile" OT who can maybe play OG in a pinch.  IMO, a true OG is not a draft target.  They've got 4 guys that can (term used loosely) play that spot.

They need help in the middle and on the edges, respectively, and those two moves address those issues for the least possible cost.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 10:09 »

They need help in the middle and on the edges, respectively, and those two moves address those issues for the least possible cost.

I'm still wondering if improved play at center = better play from the guards?  Hard to say.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
ajv148

« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 10:30 »

Still think the best POA is to buy a FA OC and draft a couple of OTs. Or, at the very least, one "franchise" type OT and one "versatile" OT who can maybe play OG in a pinch.

I agree 100%.  Bring in a FA center, not like Mahan, but like a real one that doesn't get knocked on his ass every play.  Move Colon to RG.  Simmons to LG. Draft a couple OT's.  

I also would like to bring Starks back, if possible.  He showed enough to me that he might be able to play at RT until Marvel's contract is up, and move to LT thereafter.

I think that gives a solid enough line that we can go into the draft with some flexibility.  Hate going into it saying "well, I guess we have to take whatever OL is left."  We might miss out on some serious talent at WR and RB with that mentality.  Maybe DL or DB as well depending on how things shake out.

I just think it would be a shame to pass on a guy like Mendenhall, who reminds me a little of Marion Barber, for some average lineman.... just sayin.....
ajv148

« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 10:39 »

And forgot to mention the original subject in the post.  Kemo?  Eh.  He has a lot of physical ability, which made him somewhat dominant in college, but isn't enough here.  Whether or not he can get it together remains a mystery to me.  Sidenote, is it me or isn't he better suited at RG?

I'm not opposed to bringing the guy back, but what has he done to deserve anything more than backup money?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: