Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 20, 2014 at 03:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kirschke singed for 2 years  (Read 682 times)
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« on: Feb 19, 2008 at 12:03 »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3253052

Not that exciting and basically a warm body on the DL. Could they have done better?
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 12:44 »

I'd rather we re-sign Kembo van Orndenloffen.  

Speaking of Kembo, is he still in the league?  Even if he isn't he's still better than Kirschke.  But then, Kirschke>Eason.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
sysadmin7

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 13:53 »

The guy was/is trash...period. Look at when he had to "step-up" for A. Smith. Every team ran right to his side, no problem. What a F'in waste. Might as well wipe your asses with that money.

I'd rather see a rook fill that position, or an UDRFA and save us the money. Anything HAS to be better than watching that slug get run over play in and play out.  

LINUX = FREEDOM
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 14:20 »

But then, Kirschke>Eason.
I dunno, Preach.

I think I agree with sysadmin in that he's not much better than any other oxygen sucking DE.  The only thing I believe he's got over a guy like Eason is experience.

I know Travis didn't cost much, but I don't see the point of extending him when you get basically the same thing from Nick at half the cost.

:splittinghairs:

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 16:40 »

Uck.  Not huge money, but enough of a waste to piss me off.  Kirschke's time as a spot fill in was about 2 years ago; got nothing now.  We needed to move on.  Stupid move.

But IMO it's a sign of our desperation for depth (much like signing Simmons was a desperate and ill-advised move last year).  These sorts of signings are slow deaths.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Hercules50!
N00b

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 16:44 »

This signing is discouraging for what it says about the relative contentment Colbert feels about our line play, on both sides of the ball.

I thought Tomlin's post-season assessment stressed getting younger up front?

Serioulsy: Colbert is an overrated GM. There's one thing he does well, and that's draft in the first round. And even there, he's been lucky rather than good (see: Roethlisberger, Ben).  
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 08:03 »

I should append the comment that this is a bad deal IMO if and only if Kirschke sticks those two years.  With a scant $300K SB, he could well be a camp cut for little pain.  If we're on the hook for $2M+ for what he's done the past couple seasons, it chafes my low-hangers.

I'll disagree that Colbert is a bad GM, though.  He's overseen some dubious contract extensions, though of late only Simmons stands out as a particularly galling call.  IMO, his overall draft success is as good or better than most teams, probably top ten league-wide.  Maybe better, given our success in relation to how few FAs we have.  Most folks' major gripe, especially now, is lack of liquid cap assets.  Well, that's one side of the coin.  Other being that teams with huge cap money have typically undergone some major cap purge, peaks and valleys, where the Steelers stay more consistent.

I personally think the idea of letting older players walk and getting comps is fine.  Don't particularly care for the way we open cap space by converting salary into prorated guaranteed bonuses: that too often has been a Band-Aid that sogs future caps.  And I'd like to see us be a little more daring with vets deep on the depth chart, maybe cutting and bringing in younger guys (and more cap space), although as I type that I realize that said vet depth came into play last year (OT, WR, FS).  

I'm fine with Colbert.  Jury being out on Timmons, to say nothing of Spaeth, hard to judge Tomlin's acumen, but he did OK to ge Sepulveda, IMO, and hit with Woodley and Gay.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 08:32 »

I should append the comment that this is a bad deal IMO if and only if Kirschke sticks those two years. With a scant $300K SB, he could well be a camp cut for little pain.

True.  150K dead money this year and next won't hurt much, though it's annoying to do it if you don't have to. I'd even say that if the first year of the deal is vet minimum salary (which is typical), then if he hangs on for this season it's not a disaster.  Would make him an obvious cut for '09 at a salary around 1.3 mil, still have the 150K hit on dead money which is practically nothing.

All in all a big meh - but at this time of year, anything is news.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: