Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 29, 2014 at 16:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Justin Smith  (Read 1723 times)
steeldawg1631

« on: Feb 25, 2008 at 15:02 »

Steelers | Team expected to pursue J. Smith
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:09:07 -0800

Carlos Holmes, of the Dayton Daily News, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers are expected to pursue Cincinnati Bengals DL Justin Smith when free agency begins Feb. 29.

I doubt this story. Not sure id even want him for the money he will end up getting.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 15:59 »

I'd certainly be interested at a reasonable rate; but pursuing him would make Kirschke's deal even more unfathomable.  Perhaps Aaron Smith's injury isn't healing?  Dunno.  

A Smith-Hamp-Smith front would be the best front 3 in the league IMO.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 16:13 »

I have heard we might be intereseted in him.  Just not sure how he fits in, do we go to a 4-3 or does BK roate in and out?  This would take DE off the draft need list.

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 17:43 »

Kirschke's $300K guaranteed ensures he's an insurance policy only.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 20:47 »

There would need to be many more cuts IMO to afford Justin Smith.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 20:53 »

Start with Ced.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 10:04 »

Not sure how much stock I want to put into an article written by Carlos "Big C" Holmes," but m'kay.

Smith would draw some interest on the open market and the one team who could come calling is Pittsburgh Steelers. I'm told that Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau is a big fan of Smith and has always thought that he would be a better pass-rusher in a 3-4 defense which they run in Blitzburgh.

The Steelers are looking to improve their pass-rush up front on defense and Smith would fit in the rotation nicely. The Steelers could also have their eyes on another Bengal S Madieu Williams. Williams is set to become an unrestricted free agent when the free agency signing period begins in March. He drew rave reviews from a top Steeler scout during the 2004 draft and the interest is believed to still exist considering the team's need for help at the safety position.
[/b]

Smith I get.  Solid player.  One of the few guys I would consider from either side of the ball on that team.

But, Madieu Williams?  Steelers need help at the safety position?  That statement alone kinda makes me think there's nothing behind the Smith comments other than a Bengal fans' hope that he leave Cincinnati.

Think about it.  If you're a Bengal fan and you think Smith is a good player; overpaid, but a solid player nonetheless, would you want him to sign with an intradivisional rival that has basically owned your ass for decades?  I might want him to leave, but I'd at least want him out of the division.  Ideally, out of the conference.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 10:25 »

Think about it.  If you're a Bengal fan and you think Smith is a good player; overpaid, but a solid player nonetheless, would you want him to sign with an intradivisional rival that has basically owned your ass for decades?  I might want him to leave, but I'd at least want him out of the division.  Ideally, out of the conference.
I guess what I was getting at there is, maybe Smith is the Bengals version of the '07 Joey Porter?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 10:44 »

But, Madieu Williams? Steelers need help at the safety position? That statement alone kinda makes me think there's nothing behind the Smith comments other than a Bengal fans' hope that he leave Cincinnati.

I disagree, aj.  We do need help at safety, particularly if Clark doesn't heal.  Not saying Williams is the answer, but it is an issue, IMO.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 11:03 »

Maybe the Porter comparison is apt.  For me, it comes down to cap hit, again.  I just think there's enough interest in Smith that his price tag is prohibitive.  Decent production, which trailed off last year: 7.17 sacks per, dropped to 2.  Any ideas why?  Didn't miss any games.  

The second point on Smith is, what do we do with Keisel?  He sits a year or two until Aaron Smith retires, then gets his job back?  Or does Keisel try to transition to OLB?  I dunno.

Maybe the Madieu Williams yammer is because of Anthony Smith's struggles, an amnesia about Ryan Clark, or doubt over Clark's return.  I can see upgrading Ty Carter, though.  But at what price?  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: