Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 04:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Justin Smith  (Read 1675 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 11:06 »

But, Madieu Williams? Steelers need help at the safety position? That statement alone kinda makes me think there's nothing behind the Smith comments other than a Bengal fans' hope that he leave Cincinnati.

I disagree, aj.  We do need help at safety, particularly if Clark doesn't heal.  Not saying Williams is the answer, but it is an issue, IMO.
I get that, Penz.  I've been worried about Clark's health since the season ended and have mentioned a couple times that I'm leery about him being ready to go when camp rolls around.

Still, is that a "need?"  I mean, I'd put O-line and D-line into that category, but S?  Especially since this is coming from an "outsider," so to speak.

Put it this way, I think we're lookin' at one of two scenarios.  Either (a) Clark is in worse shape than Pittsburgh is letting on; or (b) this guy is shooting from the hip and doesn't really know what he's talking about.  

I just can't fathom Pittsburgh having any interest in a FA FS unless they feel pretty strongly that Clark isn't going to be on the field in August.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 12:52 »

Still, is that a "need?"  I mean, I'd put O-line and D-line into that category, but S?  Especially since this is coming from an "outsider," so to speak.

It's a need I'd rather see them address through bringing in an FA than trying to coach up a mid or late round draft choice.  It's one of the more complicated positions on the field, and one of the few where a serviceable vet can be effective at a decent price tag.

We need all our picks for the lines, and the backs.  No use bringing in some day 2 schmo at S who's going to spend a year on ST's and dime packages.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
padgfrombf

« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 02:29 »

...The second point on Smith is, what do we do with Keisel?  He sits a year or two until Aaron Smith retires, then gets his job back?  Or does Keisel try to transition to OLB?  I dunno.

Maybe the Madieu Williams yammer is because of Anthony Smith's struggles, an amnesia about Ryan Clark, or doubt over Clark's return.  I can see upgrading Ty Carter, though.  But at what price?
Keisel's close to 30 hisself, though with relatively low mileage.  If he's not an uncontested starter at DE next year, he's probably tracking on a Travis Kirschke career path.  About the only benefit to him dropping weight to OLB, if he didn't lose too much speed, is that he can help ST's.  Like Finny said, I dunno.

The PSD can't leave that FS spot with Ty Carter, whose best use is in packages.  The apparent failure of Anthony Smith to step up is a really painful shot to LeBeau's defensive scheme, which needed to have that Chris Hope type tackling machine back there.  I guess we won't know much about Clark until mini-camp.  
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 15:20 »

Since we're talking FS on this thread, what about Gibril Wilson of the Giants?  I saw alot of him on TV this year and he was pretty good-- reminded me alot, in fact, of Ryan Clark, made a ton of tackles.  I believe he's a UFA.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 19:22 »

Since we're talking FS on this thread, what about Gibril Wilson of the Giants?  I saw alot of him on TV this year and he was pretty good-- reminded me alot, in fact, of Ryan Clark, made a ton of tackles.  I believe he's a UFA.
I like Gibs, if the price is right (*sigh*, as always).  Word is the Iggles have lead in their pencil for him.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 21:11 »

QUOTE (aj_law @ Feb 26 2008, 11:04 AM)
Think about it. If you're a Bengal fan and you think Smith is a good player; overpaid, but a solid player nonetheless, would you want him to sign with an intradivisional rival that has basically owned your ass for decades? I might want him to leave, but I'd at least want him out of the division. Ideally, out of the conference. 

I guess what I was getting at there is, maybe Smith is the Bengals version of the '07 Joey Porter?

I totally agree. Except that Porter was a multi-time Pro Bowl pick, the emotional leader in the locker room, at his worst was superior to Smith's "prime", and was the best playoff player (other than Ben) on a Super Bowl champeen the season before he was cut. Other than that I see the similarities.

Y2J
-Peazy apologist

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 07:37 »

Smith singed with the 49ers for 6 years, $45 million.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 08:15 »

Unreal.  2 sacks in 2007 and his top quality is a pass rusher?

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2008 at 12:20 »

Unreal.  2 sacks in 2007 and his top quality is a pass rusher?
Yeah, I'm really glad we didn't spend that kind of money on Smith.  He's solid and dependable, but that's about it.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: