Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 19:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The NFL's best 3rd WRs are:  (Read 631 times)
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Feb 26, 2008 at 10:23 »

I determined the 3rd WR for each team by finding the WR with the 3rd most yards receiving for each team.  While there are some surprising entries on this list (mostly due to injury), remember that there is a bit of a zero-sum game involved - meaning that if Marvin Harrison would have been uninjured and been more productive, someone else likely would have been roughly equally less productive (no, not completely equal, but there would have been a substantial effect on somone) and replaced Harrison (or whomever) on this list.  Also remember - staying healthy is important and should not be casually tossed aside.

Nate Washington - 29 receptions, 450 yards, 5 TDs.

AR - Bryant Johnson 46- 528-2
ATL Laurent Robinson - 37-437-1
Balt- Devard Darling 18-326-3
Buff - Roscoe Parrish - 35-352-1
Car - Keary Colbert - 32-332-0
Chi - Devin Hester - 20-299-2
Cin - Chris Henry 21-343-2
Cle - Tim Carter - 8-117-1
Dal- Sam Hurd - 19-314-1
Denv - Javon Walker - 26-287-0
Det - Calvin Johnson - 48-756-4
GB - James Jones - 47-646-2
Hou - Andre Davis - 33-583-3
Indy - Marvin Harrison - 20-247-1
Jax - Ernest Wilford - 45-518-3
KC - Sammie Parker - 24-298-2
Mia - Chris Chambers - 31-415-0
Minn - Robert Ferguson - 32-391-0
NE - Dontae Stallworth - 46-697-3
NO - Devery Henderson - 20-409 -3
NYG - Sinorice Moss - 21-225-0
NYJ - Brad Smith - 32-325-2
Oak - Tim Dwight - 6-98-2
Phi - Jason Avant - 23-267-2
SD - Craig Davis - 20-188-1
SF - Ashley Lelei - 10-115-0
Sea - Deion Branch - 49-661-1
St.L. - Drew Bennett - 33-375-3
TB - Michael  Clayton - 22-301-0
Tenn - Eric Moulds - 32-342-0
Wash - Keenan McCardell - 22-256-0

Overall, what can be drawn from this.  First, most teams do not use their third WR a great deal.  Second, most 3rd WRs are little more than roster filler - competent but not great (nor likely to ever become so).

Statistically, what can be drawn from this.  First, Nate Washington caught more TDs last year than any other 3rd WR.  Second, Nate was 8th overall in terms of yards.  Third, Nate was 16th in terms of receptions among 3rd WRs.

So why then does Nate Robinson get people some riled up?  IMHO it is because he is compared, unfairly, to unrealistic expectations where people believe he should make every catch and produce on a level consistent with NFL all-pros.  In reality, he is a typical (if not much better than average) 3rd WR.  He ranks #1 in one key stat, is top 3rd in another, and is middle of the pack in the final.

There is nothing wrong with Nate Washintgon.  As annoying and, perhaps, average as he might be to many, in reality more than fills the 3rd WR role and does it better than the substantial majority of other NFL 3rd WRs.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 10:45 »

So why then does Nate Robinson get people some riled up?
Who doesn't get fired up seeing a midget dunk?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 11:15 »

IMHO it is because he is compared, unfairly, to unrealistic expectations where people believe he should make every catch and produce on a level consistent with NFL all-pros.

I disagree.  The frustration with Nate has to do with his tendency to make spectacular catches, follow by a tendency to drop the easiest, most make-able catches.  At times, he seems very capable of getting open; then, at other times, gets completely lost.  Some of the other WRs you mentioned tend to step up at very big times, and the perception here is that Nate tends to disappear at those times.

Add to that:  We all know Hines isn't getting any younger.  Where do we go when he has to hang em up?  Nate and SanAntonio?  We have very few options for future development, and I don't think anyone sees Nate as the answer.

Several have defended the fact that Nate is a 3rd WR, so we shouldn't expect starter production from him.  I tend to agree, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect your 3rd option to be able to consistently catch the ball.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 11:32 »

That's a bogues argument, Penso.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 11:34 »

Can't you guys take this silliness somewhere else on the webb?
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 11:54 »

That's a bogues argument, Penso.
I don't think you're gervin the guy enough credit, Fingerswack.

Seriously though, putting the numbers aside for a second, I think if you look at a team's true 3rd WR (i.e. on the depth chart), I think you'd find that most teams have a better player, talent-wise, at that position than Pittsburgh.

Nate's fine as a #4, I guess, but that's about it.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 12:01 »

I'm gonna ditto point for point Preach's take.  I think I'd like Nate just a bit more if he were playing more consistently, and showed that he had the potential to be a starter if Ward were (hurt, retired).  He's certainly not bad, and has the potential to be very good.  But that potential's been there for some time and hasn't been appreciably improved.

BTW, all this short guys dunkin hilarity wouldn't be so funny if you were a head on a goddamned pillow, and somehow wound up being part of the pregame shooting warmups.  Clangin' off the rim fucking hurts, but bouncing off the floor is the worst.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 16:41 »

In comparing #3 WRs across the NFL, would one need to consider the % of throws that go to TEs and RBs when determining how relevant each #3 WRs productivity is to that of his peers?

I mean, it's great if Nate has 5 TDs.  But if Craig Davis has one TD and Gates has 9 TDs and LT has 3 v. Miller's 7 TDs and Parker's 0 TDs, couldn't the TD total be more a point of usage than quality?

My opin on Nate is that he's pretty inconsistent but when he comes up with a catch, it's usually one that he really has had to adjust to.  

He's replaceable but he is worth keeping around until he's looking for a long-term deal.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 17:39 »

I'd like to see if we run more 4 and 5 wide sets than the rest of the teams in the league.

Having a more consistent threat as our #3 would make those sets even more dangerous.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: