Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 07:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What UFA"S get offers tomorrow  (Read 664 times)
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Feb 27, 2008 at 08:23 »

2-28 is the deadline for teams to make offers on their UFA's.  Who do we make offers for and at what level?

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 10:20 »

Here's my take.  I'm sure I've omitted someone, but in order of big to little.

Ben.  The $3M roster bonus I'd read about is supposed to hit March 5, not March 1.  So while it's not a UFA/RFA situation, it still affects all others.  I think we get this done basically by this weekend, maybe announce it early next week.  I'll say the date is March 3, and the contract will be 6 years, $57M total, $18M guaranteed.

Max.  I think someone will tender an offer to Max, and we will match.  This may go down around the time of Ben's deal, when teams assume we can't match, but we still have some potential cap space with guys like Ced Wilson on the roster.  I think someone tenders Max 6 years, $30M, and we match, with $7M guaranteed.

That won't leave much room for RFAs.  Nate is the most likely to get a mid-level, but I think the Steelers go with the $1.4M tender (2nd round comp).  Kemo will get the same tender, since we need to ensure OL depth, but don't want to overpay.  And I think Essex showed his value at the end of the season, enough to warrant a $927K tender (same round as drafted, i.e. 3rd).  

Arnold Harrison is an ERFA, and may get a league min salary.

Dre Frazier is RFA, but we won't tender him.

UFAs on the list:  Kreider, Haynes, Faneca, Haggans.  All gone.  Of those, I could see a close to min deal with Haggans if he gets no interest elsewhere, but I think he will.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 12:08 »

I like all of those proposed deals.  Kemo might be a little on the high side, but with him being a R6 and him being OK, they can't afford to give him the minimum tender, IMO.  

The one place I disagree with you is Nate.  You really think they're going to give him that high a tender?

For one, I don't think he's worth a mil and a half.  Secondly, if they do, there's no way another team matches that and gives up a R2 pick for him.  

I know he was an UFA so a min tender is moot, but frankly, when I first looked at their RFAs and UFAs, I didn't think Washington would get tendered at all.  I figured they'd either give him a 3 YR deal for something above the league minimum or let him test the market.  

For a million and a half, I'd almost rather take that; cut Wilson; and sign a mid-level FA WR (Ernest Wilford...3 YR deal?) for about the same amount of money.  Backfill with a draftee and/or Baker.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 12:25 »

If the Steelers want to keep Nate, that's the lowest I see them going.  The tenders are:

$927,000

give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 19:23 »

Yeah giving Nate the extra $500k seems like a bit of a stretch, but it is surely worth the money in case someone would decide to match were we to give him the low tender.  Give Nate the Rd 2 Tender and if no one matches, try to work out a 3 year deal at a more reasonable price.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2008 at 20:00 »

If the Steelers want to keep Nate, that's the lowest I see them going.  The tenders are:

$927,000

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 08:12 »

We will get a 2009 comp if Starks goes, I believe.  The franchise tag, like the RFA tenders, ensures an exchange of picks this year at a pre-determined level.  The 2009 comp pick, we have to wait and see.

LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 17:02 »

According to the PG we get no compensation if he leaves -- we can only match in 7 days...

The Steelers last week put the transition tag on offensive tackle Max Starks. If he does not sign that $6,895,000, one-year offer, he can solicit offers from other teams in free agency starting at midnight tonight. If he signs elsewhere, the Steelers have seven days to match the deal and keep him; if they do not, they receive no reparation.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08059/861104-66.stm

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2008 at 19:20 »

According to the PG we get no compensation if he leaves -- we can only match in 7 days...

The Steelers last week put the transition tag on offensive tackle Max Starks. If he does not sign that $6,895,000, one-year offer, he can solicit offers from other teams in free agency starting at midnight tonight. If he signs elsewhere, the Steelers have seven days to match the deal and keep him; if they do not, they receive no reparation.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08059/861104-66.stm

I dunno.  I think they're talking about compensation now...  We're assured certain picks with RFA tenders, f'r example.  But we'll still get a comp on the backend if he goes, I do believe.  

Maybe someone can check to see if Seattle got a pick with the Hutch defection?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: