Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 20:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers Salary cap as of 2-23  (Read 371 times)
schnoah

« on: Feb 28, 2008 at 22:49 »

http://www.steelersalarycap.com/

This has Max Starks in there for his nearly 7Million dollar cap number... and were still almost 11M under!

you add the tenders and were about 8 million under... then you get Starks deal worked out... we are back to about 10M under... thats enough to get someone solid if we choose too!

We also have to cut Wilson and get Smith to take a pay cut!

I also just saw that has Bens 3M dollar LTBE (roster bonus on there) If they get the new deal done, that will go away and free up even more money... WE ARE FINE! The Cap looks great!
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2008 at 22:56 by schnoah » Logged

Here We Go Steelers!!!!  
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2008 at 06:33 »

I think a better way to look at the amount under the cap is how it relates to the rest of the league.  

So we're at $8M under.  Maybe rough it out to a potential doubling if Wilson is cut, Smith restructures (more likely than Smith taking a cut ala Bettis), and Ben signs a new deal.  If Starks signs a long-term deal, add another $5M?  Also have to figure in $ to sign the rookies.

I believe there are quite a few teams who are $20-$40M under the cap.  

So it's my best guess that we're in the 25th-35th percentile for available space.  

Not shockingly (nor expected), we won't be in the race for big name FAs.  There would be money available to sign someone "to challenge for a starting OG/OC position."  But no money to sign a clear-cut starter.  

But that probably wasn't the expectation of many here.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: