Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 21:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stark's offer to come off the table  (Read 2058 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 08:04 »

When the dust clears, I don't believe Starks is going to get a contract that big.  At least I hope not.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 08:16 »

Quite frankly, Starks is crazy for not having SINGED his tender already. No way he makes $7 million next year anywhere, but that offer is on the table right now. Glad (for cap reasons) he hasn't yet though.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 08:43 »

Starks is a young guy, he doesn't want a one year trans tag deal any more than Lance Briggs wanted a one year F-tag deal, or any other player wants to sign a one-year.  They want long-term security and guaranteed money.  That's why he didn't sign the tender.  That would be the LAST recourse, if he sensed the deal might not get done and no suitors were interested from other teams.

Would you rather take a onetime $8M deal with NO guarantees if you get hurt this year, or a 6-year deal with $7M guaranteed and possibly another $30M in salaries?

Starks will hammer something out.  It will be beneficial to both sides.  People are freaking for NO GOOD REASON, because all they see is a false $8M price tag.  It's a TEMPORARY cap hit.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 08:51 »

Hmm.  Isn't the bigger problem how very, very little we have under right now?

I don't think we could give Max even 2.5 Mill right now...unless we gave it all as signing bonus and gave him a 4 or 5 year contract. That could create mucho dead cap space if he doesn't work out permanently.

Unless the FO can rework someone else's deal -- say, Marvel or, hell, somebody's!

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 10:48 »

Our MO has always been to try and keep our own players that we want to keep before we try to sign others.  I have to believe that Starks was transitioned and is still around b/c we want to keep him.  Which means that I believe the FO is trying, as hard as they can, to find a way to rework deals, make cuts, and move things around to get Starks signed.  Again, I believe that if he was/is going to receive a huge payday from someone, it'll happen within the next 48 hours.  Otherwise, the money will be spent by everyone else and we'll have time to wiggle in a deal with him.

That may be more hope than reality, but I have to think that's what we're trying to do.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 09:21 »

Steelers.com...

One area in which the Steelers might receive some salary cap relief is with the transition tag it applied to Max Starks. When the Steelers tagged Starks, they reserved the right to match any contract offer he receives on the open market, but they also were assessed $6.895 million on their cap, because that
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 12:43 »

Please, let him dabble.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jpbucco
N00b

« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 18:05 »

Show me a link where they said it would be rescinded.

Management specifically said they would not do that...they usually keep their word.
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2008 at 21:16 »

Look at past Post articles I can't find it,  I assure you I saw it I don't post bull.

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
jpbucco
N00b

« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 11:47 »

The STEELERS did NOT say that.

They plan to sign him to a long term contract thus wiping out the 7 million tender.

The Steelers will NOT and have NOT rescinded the offer.

The quote was idle speculation by Ed Bouchette who ONCE AGAIN didn't do his homework.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: