Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 26, 2014 at 00:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The more I think about E. Wilson...  (Read 1627 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Mar 04, 2008 at 10:53 »

...the more I like the idea.  He doesn't seem to be in huge demand, so we can probably work out a reasonable deal.

He's a safety from a 3-4 hybrid format in NE, which is probably going to be very similar to what we will run this year.  I see us using a mix of 3 and 4-man fronts with Tomlin feeling his Wheaties a little more after a year under the belt as HC.

He's a guy who can step in immediately and lead, give us time to get Clark healthy (if in fact that's possible), and give us a chance to see if Simmons is actually going to become the player that we think he can be.  Wilson would have immediate credibility as the "field general" that we hear about on our defense.  Not the greatest safety on paper, but a smart, hard-working guy who can run the D.

Don't know where we'll get the $$$, but he'd be an awfully nice addition.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 11:10 »

If we sign Wilson,  I don't know how we can keep Clark with our cap.

I'd think we'd have to save the 1.5M.

For sure Wilson isn't going to be a back up.  Think the Smith proclaimation really irked the Steelers.  Smith is year 3 and should be ready to start if that's the plan.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 11:23 »

I may be out of my league saying this--it's not like I know him personally--but Simmons seems very immature to me.  Some of his on-field antics and the whole "guarentee" vs. the Patriots last year just seem childish.  Maybe they're thinking that some additional bench time will grow him up?  I don't know.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 11:34 »

I dunno, Preach.

Something about having a guy named "Eugene" on the team.  Sounds fluffy.

Basically, it's the polar opposite of the Weird Name Theory.  Consequently, guys like Aqib Talib and Early Doucet are locks for many, many Pro Bowls to come.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2008 at 20:41 »

Basically, it's the polar opposite of the Weird Name Theory.

I thought that went out when we let go of Kimo von Oehlhoffen and drafted a guy named Lawrence with the first pick.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 08:50 »

Basically, it's the polar opposite of the Weird Name Theory.

I thought that went out when we let go of Kimo von Oehlhoffen and drafted a guy named Lawrence with the first pick.
Um, helllllllloooooooooo. ..Roeth-lis-ber-ger?  Hines?  Po-la-ma-lu?  San-ton-i-o?

THANK U SOOO MUTCH, NEKST!!!!!!1111111111111

I knew there was a reason why Timmons couldn't get on the field last year, but I just couldn't put my finger on it.  Thanks for pointing it out.  That seals it.  His career is doomed.

On the flipside, Spaeth is poised for a breakout 13 TD season.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2008 at 12:57 »

Guess ther'll be no other Wilsons on the roster... He apparantly didn't get a contract offer by the time he left town.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 21:48 »

I guess the saga isn't over yet, I heard that Mr. Wilson was to make his decision fairly shortly between Steelers, Bucs, and Jets.

If he signs here, I'd presume that would prompt Clarks release, but dunno unless they found away to make more cap room by restructures.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 07:17 »

If he signs here, I'd presume that would prompt Clarks release, but dunno unless they found away to make more cap room by restructures.

I don't see them releasing Clark.  IIRC, they can't cut him b/c of a medical condition?  Didn't we lose draft picks about 10 years ago because of the way we cut Joel Steed (or someone)?

I see them releasing Carter, or perhaps Wilson (meaning we still only have one Wilson on the team).  But I don't see us doing anything with a player like Clark until we are sure that he can't play anymore.

Also depends:  How soon are we required to be under the cap?  Or has that date already passed?  I know, I'm clueless.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 08:01 »

I don't see them releasing Clark.  IIRC, they can't cut him b/c of a medical condition?  Didn't we lose draft picks about 10 years ago because of the way we cut Joel Steed (or someone)?

I see them releasing Carter, or perhaps Wilson (meaning we still only have one Wilson on the team).  But I don't see us doing anything with a player like Clark until we are sure that he can't play anymore.

Also depends:  How soon are we required to be under the cap?  Or has that date already passed?  I know, I'm clueless.
Exactly.  They'd have to have Clark healthy before cutting.  But I think Carter is the more likely ax-ee.  And they almost certainly need Starks in their pocket before anything happens with Wilson.  If the Steelers are going against the Jets and Bucs (still a lot of cap space) in a bidding war, and are still mentioned seriously, that says to me that behind the scenes the Max deal is getting done.  I wonder how much EW would cost us, though.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: