Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 08:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marvel  (Read 840 times)
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« on: Mar 09, 2008 at 00:05 »

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08069/863698-66.stm

Interesting article that Ed wrote hinting the Steelers may elect to extend Marvel this year.

IMHO, I thought with the Transition tag applied to Starks, that would signify that we'd let Marvel walk after this season.

Let's assume we we extend Marvel and sign Max this offseason... that really changes things up!

Marvel, Max, Colon, Essex at the tackle spots.  Great depth and very little need to draft a tackle at all.

Interior of the line:  Kemo, Stapleton, Simmons, Mahan.   I guess we'd use Colon to back up a guard spot, and probably draft an interior line person as well?  I read that we were still interested in Hadnot too.  I'd presume if we'd sign him, that would temper our draft prospects for the line almost all together and if not, may signify Mahan will be out this year or next.

The other tricky proposition is that Kemo will be a UFA next year, and that may mean we look at a day 1 guard if he is not the permanent answer.

If the line is solidified and locked up by draft day, what areas then does the Steelers focus on?

I'd say DL or WR.  Those will be the other areas of pressing need the next few years.
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2008 at 00:53 »

So....we basically use the same guys that we used last year, minus Faneca?  I don't see how that improves this teams biggest problem from this past season, protecting the QB.

If Kemo, Max, Colon, Essex, and Stapleton all improve significantly, then we'd be in good shape.  That's just a whole lot of ifs...too many if you ask me.  I still think we need a first round OL this year.  

If we end up with the same group we had last year, this offseason will be like the Pirates' offseason.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2008 at 12:30 »

Mahan was the weak link in the line IMHO.  Faneca may have lost the step, but spent half his time mopping up the mess to his right.

Had some problems with Colon as well.

Having Hadnot or Stapleton at center and Starks back at RT should help out alot, I'd think.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2008 at 12:33 »

I looked at the QB stats for the 2007 season and was amazed at the sack numbers...  

Ben had DOUBLE the sack of the norm (like for Brady, Manning, Garrard, etc..)

47!    Average was about 25.
TwistedLemon

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 08:53 »

I know that the number of sacks is high, but I am curious.....how many came as a result of Ben not getting rid of the ball but instead trying to find something?  I doubt that drops the total much, but I think it would some.

Still say C Williams is the pick if he is still there

"My reality check bounced"
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 09:45 »

My hunch is it would be offset by the same number of sacks avoided by Ben making a play out of having a guy in his face after two seconds.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 11:11 »

My hunch is it would be offset by the same number of sacks avoided by Ben making a play out of having a guy in his face after two seconds.

Good point.

Still, I hope to see more of what we saw for SOME of the Jags playoff game:  getting rid of the ball and taking what the defense is giving, rather than looking for something huge all the time.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 11:39 »

Ed's pulling articles out of his ass.

Fuck, we could write a contract to extend Sean Mahan till the year 2525, but that doesn't mean it's likely to happen.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 11:45 »

This might be the best, simplest, explanation I have ever seen on this point.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Hercules50!
N00b

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2008 at 21:52 »

I hope EB is wrong. I am just not that high on Marvel. He gets hurt every year, and even when healthy, he looks like he's 40 years old.

Maybe it wasn't his fault the line stunk so bad last year, and he is probably the least of the problems on the line going into 2008, but in my view that is saying VERY little about him.

His future is at RT or at a G spot, I think. If this is his last year as a Steeler, so be it, I think. By 2009, we damn well better have a viable challenger for the LT spot, and, at the very least, we'd have a LT playing for a shot at free agency.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: