Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 28, 2014 at 07:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SING KYLIEMINOGUE FOX!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2525 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Mar 11, 2008 at 11:21 »

Another KC LB.  

Get excited.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 09:20 »

Woooohoooo....

Second FA signing of the year!!!

http://news.steelers.com/article/87520/
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 10:10 »

Woooohoooo....

Second FA signing of the year!!!

http://news.steelers.com/article/87520/

The newer, faster Clint Kriewaldt.  

My question is this: he played OLB in the KC 4-3, does he move inside to replace Clint?  Or are they toying with him in the Arnold Harrison OLB spot?

Either way, he'll add some value to STs.  That's a plus.  Expect that to be a recurrent theme among FAs and draft picks.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 10:50 »

Wow, I'm shocked we signed anyone else.  New espn headline:

Steelers Go on FA Spending Spree!

Seriously...I can't remember the last time we signed two FAs--and possibly THREE--in the first two weeks of free agency.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 12:32 »

Fee agint singings wonner gamez

Stealler slupper bowel srixty free,

Champeeens.

Win.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 15:57 »

Contract Details:

...Fox, a third-round draft choice in 2004, received a signing bonus of $40,000 and will be paid the veteran minimum of $605,000 in 2008. He will be a backup linebacker and special-teams performer for the Steelers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08072/864438-66.stm

Cheap signing,... tough to complain about.  Two additions (Moore, Fox) so far, and one subtraction (Faneca).  I'm actually hoping we lose a couple FA's soon.  I don't want to jeapordize the high comp pick that we'd get for losing Red.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
shills
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 18:31 »

I know he's generally a special teamer.....but wow, the dude gets a lot of tackles per game  52 (44 solo) in 16 in 2006, 21 (19 solo) in 10 games in 2007....that's cool with me.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=5618

Here's a scouting report....I would say that the pros are far better than the cons.....

69-60: Average Starter
A valuable roster player but is not dominant against the better players he faces on a week-to-week basis... Gives great effort and you are glad that he is on your team, but he may or may not go to the next level.

2007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 63 | Key
Alert: None

Comment: Fox is a restricted free agent with third-round compensation. He was the backup No. 4 linebacker for the Chiefs but started games on the weakside when Derrick Johnson was out with his ankle injury. He split time later in the season with the ineffective Kendrell Bell on the strong side. He is a solid overall athlete for the position. He shows solid play speed and can play sideline to sideline. He is active pre-snap. He plays with solid competes and has a very good motor. He shows the athletic ability to match up in man-to-man coverage. He can carry the tight end to the seam and on the deep out. He is a willing take-on player. He is a solid hitter and wrap-up tackler when he gets the runner in his sights. He plays well laterally. He can get over stacks and make plays out near the numbers. On the downside, he does not have many starts in his career, and he needs reps. He can get out of position, because he will take false steps at the snap. He is not quick to read run-pass, which takes away from some of his aggressiveness. He needs to learn to use his hands better to shed blocks in-line. He can get out of control at times and lose his containment. He does not have a real solid feel in zone coverage. He does not see routes develop in front of him and is slow to break on the ball. Overall, he is a talented player who should continue to get better. He has the speed and athletic ability to be a good starter, but he needs to get more comfortable with his reads and reactions.  
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 19:52 »

Comment: Fox is a restricted free agent with third-round compensation.
So is he going to cost us a third rnd pick?
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2008 at 19:53 by The Emperor » Logged

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 20:19 »

Thats the 07' scouting report.  He's a UFA this year.
Who farted?
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 20:57 »

Contract Details:

...Fox, a third-round draft choice in 2004, received a signing bonus of $40,000 and will be paid the veteran minimum of $605,000 in 2008. He will be a backup linebacker and special-teams performer for the Steelers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08072/864438-66.stm

Cheap signing,... tough to complain about.  Two additions (Moore, Fox) so far, and one subtraction (Faneca).  I'm actually hoping we lose a couple FA's soon.  I don't want to jeapordize the high comp pick that we'd get for losing Red.

There's a minimum threshold.  He doesn't reach it.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 22:11 »

He doesn't cost us a 3rd rounder. He was an UFA.

Seems decent enough for me. Backup/ST type and we've only got six draft picks and limited cap space to find useful guys.

For the vet minimum? Can't beat it.

And two FA signings and two weird names. Keyaron and Mewelde. I think that even used to be the title of a short-lived UPN comedy from the late 90s.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 07:14 »

Are you thinking of Keyaron and Mewelde Go to White Castle?

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 07:22 »

Racist.

Keyaron and Mewelde were actually a popular recording act on the Atco imprint, responsible for such hits as "(Do the) Grimenhunt" and " Singing the Ty Law Blues".  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 07:57 »

Racist.

Keyaron and Mewelde were actually a popular recording act on the Atco imprint, responsible for such hits as "(Do the) Grimenhunt" and " Singing the Ty Law Blues".
And don't forget the crossover hit, "Everyone Wang Mewelde Tonight!"
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2008 at 07:58 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 08:01 »

And AJ's weird name theory re-takes its solid hold on the Stillers' FO.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 08:10 »

Racist.

Didn't Michael McDonald do the backing vocals on that one?

Unhh hunhh unnh hunnh

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 08:42 »

Racist.

They would have achieved slightly more to substantially more success not only in terms of sales and money earned but also in terms of recognition and fame and a greater sense of historical impact on not only the rhythm and blues genre but also other genres impacted by that genre such as funk and rock and rap and so on if the duo of Keyaron and Mewelde were not under the tutelage of talent impresario slash manager slash promoter slash self-aggrandizing womanizer and gourmandizer and celebrity hound one Col. Harry A. Way.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 09:24 »

Racist.

Didn't Michael McDonald do the backing vocals on that one?

Unhh hunhh unnh hunnh

Back in the days of vinyl, when yours truly worked in a Podunk, PA record store, we used to have two customers who were... freakishly obsessed with certain artists releasing new recordings.  One was a guy who resembled Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (Doobie Bros., Steely Dan).

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, lower left.  Please do not refer to Jeff "Skunk" Baxter without the name "Skunk," e.g., "Jeff Baxter."  Always, always use "skunk," preferably spoken as Jeffskunk.

Every week, at least once a week, this little Jeffskunk dude would come in and ask if Dan Fogelberg (God rest his soul) had a new album out.  And we'd be like, No, Jeffskunk (actually, his name was Larry), nothing yet.  And it wasn't like Fogelberg was cranking out new albums every other month, so this went on for a year or two or three, and it was like, if we knew of a Fogelberg wax coming out, dude, don't you think we'd tell you just to shut you the fuck up?  Jeffskunk, a.k.a. Larry, later applied for a job, but confessed that he had had a bit of a shoplifting problem.

The other guy was just this middle aged dude who always was sort of surly and resembled no one in particular.  I think that's a feature of middle age: you just sort of turn mushy.  You stop resembling anyone and just resemble other middle aged guys.  The closest I could come up with was the comic Larry Miller, the doorman in that one Seinfeld episode.

The unheralded comedic genius that is Larry Miller, who resembles the movie extra's cunt dad.

This guy was the father of some chick in my HS class, didn't really know her, but she had an extra part in that movie Mannequin which entitled him to act like an arrogant cunt towards us peon record store slaves.  She was at the 25th last November, and I'm gonna guess that extra part was pretty much the highlight of her time since graduation.  So, arrogant extra's dad was always in, pretty much as part of a tag team with Jeffskunk Larry, asking when the new Michael McDonald record was going to be released.  I think at one point I lied and told him it wouldn't, because Mike McDonald was dead or something.  That just made him angrier, and more of a cunt.

It was kind like this, only real life is always more jagged-edged and crappy, and there was no John Cusack or Jack Black, just us turds, hating everyone, smoking all the time and throwing albums like frisbees out the back door.  The Sunday after-hours ritual included illegal activities, and mopping the floors, which was somehow more enjoyable after said activities.  All to be novelized, someday, maybe.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2008 at 09:30 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 09:38 »

Cheap signing,... tough to complain about.  Two additions (Moore, Fox) so far, and one subtraction (Faneca).  I'm actually hoping we lose a couple FA's soon.  I don't want to jeapordize the high comp pick that we'd get for losing Red.
There's a minimum threshold.  He doesn't reach it.
Fox doesn't, but Moore should.  As is, his signing would negate the loss of Faneca (despite the $6.5M annual difference in their contracts).  The probable R3 comp might beome a R7 instead.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 09:48 »

KC's much more familiar with that formula, so I defer.  I thought the two components were starting time and size of deal: is one more heavily weighted?  If it's money, we should get something in the Faneca-Mandy Moore exchange.

KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 09:51 »

Back in the days of vinyl, when yours truly worked in a Podunk, PA record store,...

You worked in a Record Store?  Hyde,.... is that you?

It was kind like this, only real life is always more jagged-edged and crappy,...  The Sunday after-hours ritual included illegal activities, and mopping the floors, which was somehow more enjoyable after said activities.  All to be novelized, someday, maybe.[/SIZE]

And that, boys and girls, just perfectly summarized the 70's.  I'd managed to keep those memories hidden behind a thick smoke cloud for over 30 years, till you just brought 'em flooding back.  You Bastard!

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 10:13 »

Worked at a few record stores.  Tower at 4th and Broadway for a brief time.  The Mom and Pop store, we were surrounded by hicks and yuppies.  An odd mix.  The punk look was not exactly popular there, then.  Now their kids look like I did then, and I look like they did then.  So, whatever.  

We lived on the rural fringe of a suburban school district.  Which meant our bus route literally went over hill and dale, picking up the hill people, the kids who basically lived in shanties, and the total travel time each way was, seriously, an hour.  The kids from our neighborhood stops would take the back seats of the bus, and every day they'd crank up this giant box with Lynyrd Skynryd, that live double thing, and they'd fire up bowls and eat oranges.  I think the driver had some sort of condition that made him oblivious to the actuality of billowing smoke emanating from the rear of the bus: he had some sort of weird rigor of the neck, and I think it took all his focus just to keep the bus on the road.  

The guys from our neighborhood would go out to the shanty town out the road and play football.  We had to cut through the woods, because to take the roads would have been several miles.  It was a pretty motley crew.  I was one of the younger ones, very shy back then, and rail thin.  I remember I was supposed to be on the OL, blocking, and I wasn't into it.  The guy from the other team starting laughing at me and saying I couldn't block for shit.  That did the trick.  I pancaked him the next play, and he didn't do anything from there on out.  I had hands of stone, so I was always linebacker and OL.

KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 10:56 »

KC's much more familiar with that formula, so I defer.  I thought the two components were starting time and size of deal: is one more heavily weighted?  If it's money, we should get something in the Faneca-Mandy Moore exchange.
The biggest factor is whether or not you have a "net loss" of qualifying players through Free Agency.  You need to lose more than you gain to really benefit in the Comp Pick Derby.

After that, the size of the deal comes into play.  Using Faneca as an example; his deal with the Jets averages $8M per year, which is big money even in the NFL.  It probably would equate to a third round comp, which is the highest they award.  For comparison,  the Steelers got R4 comps for K Bell ($4.2M), Plax ($4.2M), & Chris Hope ($5.3M) over the last 4 years.

Starting time & individual accomplishments (Pro Bowl, League Leader, etc) also factor in, but their impact is smaller.

If you sign a player that qualifies, they would pretty much offset the loss of another regardless of the salary difference.  A recent example would be the signing of Ryan Clark ($1.75M) offset the loss of Kimo ($3M+) two years ago.  At his point Moore's signing could offset Faneca's.  The Steelers could still get a comp pick based on the differences in salary, but these "Net Value" picks are always R7's.  

I'd rather have the R3 than the R7, so I'm hoping that someone else works a deal with one of our remaining UFA's.  That way, the Moore signing would offset the loss of someone other than Faneca.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2008 at 12:12 by KeystoneKC » Logged

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 11:18 »

There's always Haggans...

Read the Fox will play inside, the Kriewaldt slot.

KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 12:12 »

Haggans is my best hope.  I can't imagine anyone offering St Pierre, Haynes, Eason, Cooper, or Kreider anything substantial.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 12:26 »

At his point Moore's signing could offset Faneca's.  The Steelers could still get a comp pick based on the differences in salary, but these "Net Value" picks are always R7's.  

I'd rather have the R3 than the R7, so I'm hoping that someone else works a deal with one of our remaining UFA's.  That way, the Moore signing would offset the loss of someone other than Faneca.
Not for nothing but, if that's true, I would've preferred they didn't sign Moore and just collect what would've likely been a R3 comp.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 13:21 »

Not for nothing but, if that's true, I would've preferred they didn't sign Moore and just collect what would've likely been a R3 comp.
True dat AJ, but I really like the Moore signing.  More than most in recent years.  I think he ended up pigeonholed in Minny & didn't get a fair shot.

FWIW:

His YPC (5.6) last year was dead-even with the Vikes' wunderkind Adrian Peterson, and higher than the #2 Chester Taylor.  Thats about a full yard higher than any Steeler back last year.  He's averaged 5.5 or more in three of his 4 NFL seasons.

He's got average-or-better receiving skills.  His 9.4 average compares favorably with just about all current Steeler or Vike backs sans Peterson's (1) year career.

I haven't been able to find anyone speaking ill of his blocking abilities.  Most on the Vikes' boards visited were sorry to see him go.

He adds very respectable numbers in both Punt & Kick returns... something the Steelers have struggled with for some time now.

I counted about 480 touches in his 4-year career.  He's fumbled six times, and recovered four of those.

It seems like a real nice signing for $1.6M per.  

Just to see your head explode, here are the last (7) Steeler 3rd rounders:
Matt Spaeth
Willie Reid
Trai Essex
Max Starks
Chris Hope
Kendrick Clancy
Hank Poteat

Who do you like mo(o)re?  I'd rather have a 3rd than a 7th.  But, if these are the Steelers' typical 3rd rounders, I dunno if I'd rather have the pick over the FA.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2008 at 13:58 by KeystoneKC » Logged

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 14:13 »

I think if you're basing your cap strategy on letting guys go because you're relying on comps... that you're relying on a very dicey strategy.  Comps should balance out net loss and gain, but I view them more as icing on the cake.  Still, I understand what AJ's saying about the net value differential between Big Money Faneca and our nice small deal steal, MM.

KC, very good stuff on Moore.  Lots of folks really liked him coming out of Tulane, and I remember thinking he was interesting.  Could really blossom here in a way he didn't have a chance to there.  Love to see him and FWP actually split out as WRs and catch the ball downfield, but I've been saying that for two or three years now.  So.  

I think Haggans will sign a modest deal somewhere.  I had been hoping he might come back here for depth, but the comp thing, well... Go ahead and sign with those Browns, Clark...

jpbucco
N00b

« Reply #28 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 11:16 »

Do you guys remember the last 4-3 outside backer who failed to impress prior team, that the Steelers signed and moved inside?

James Farrior...maybe the change in system will help Fox blossom...he WAS  a third rounder after all.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 11:38 »

True.  But Farrior was 8th overall in '97, so the potential upside was more pronounced.  A third rounder?  Hey, could work out again.  It's just that I think it will be more of a surprise if he turns into another Farrior.

DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #30 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 17:39 »

Farrior was also a regular starter with the Jets. Check out his season before he signed with the Steelers...quality. I don't think Fox has ever been anything more than a special teams guy/role player.

James Farrior

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 17:50 »

Do you guys remember the last 4-3 outside backer who failed to impress prior team, that the Steelers signed and moved inside?

James Farrior...maybe the change in system will help Fox blossom...he WAS a third rounder after all.

The Farrior and Fox signings have nothing in common for me. Granted: they both ARE linebackers, both played outside in a 40 front D, and the most strikingly similar fact is that they both indeed sung with us. Or sang. Whatever.

Fox has been added as an afterthought type who will be looking to find his role as a special teamer. He was made attractive to the Steelers due to the lack of quality depth available, the fact that the Steelers only have 6 draft picks this season, have holes to fill, and have next to no money to spend. Pittsburgh was in a desperate situation to find decent, cheap depth guys to fill out the roster. The bright spot on Fox's KC resume was told to be "filled in at LB when (so-and-so) was hurt and was not terrible".

Farrior came into the league as the first LB drafted his year. He played a variety of roles, mainly as a starter, for the Jets and was productive. The year before he came aboard he was second in the NFL in tackles (just a few behind Ray Lewis in his knife-wielding prime). The Steelers were in no way desperate to fill a void with him, but they were so excited by his skills that they pushed leading tackler Earl Holmes out the door and made Farrior a spot in the middle of their defense.

I don't see the comparison. Unless you meant Matt Farrior.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 19:37 »

The Farrior and Fox signings have nothing in common for me. Granted: they both ARE linebackers, .
I fail to see what Antwan Randel-El has to do with this discussion. Please stay on point.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Pages: 1 2 ... 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: