Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 29, 2014 at 10:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SING KYLIEMINOGUE FOX!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2144 times)
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 09:51 »

Back in the days of vinyl, when yours truly worked in a Podunk, PA record store,...

You worked in a Record Store?  Hyde,.... is that you?

It was kind like this, only real life is always more jagged-edged and crappy,...  The Sunday after-hours ritual included illegal activities, and mopping the floors, which was somehow more enjoyable after said activities.  All to be novelized, someday, maybe.[/SIZE]

And that, boys and girls, just perfectly summarized the 70's.  I'd managed to keep those memories hidden behind a thick smoke cloud for over 30 years, till you just brought 'em flooding back.  You Bastard!

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 10:13 »

Worked at a few record stores.  Tower at 4th and Broadway for a brief time.  The Mom and Pop store, we were surrounded by hicks and yuppies.  An odd mix.  The punk look was not exactly popular there, then.  Now their kids look like I did then, and I look like they did then.  So, whatever.  

We lived on the rural fringe of a suburban school district.  Which meant our bus route literally went over hill and dale, picking up the hill people, the kids who basically lived in shanties, and the total travel time each way was, seriously, an hour.  The kids from our neighborhood stops would take the back seats of the bus, and every day they'd crank up this giant box with Lynyrd Skynryd, that live double thing, and they'd fire up bowls and eat oranges.  I think the driver had some sort of condition that made him oblivious to the actuality of billowing smoke emanating from the rear of the bus: he had some sort of weird rigor of the neck, and I think it took all his focus just to keep the bus on the road.  

The guys from our neighborhood would go out to the shanty town out the road and play football.  We had to cut through the woods, because to take the roads would have been several miles.  It was a pretty motley crew.  I was one of the younger ones, very shy back then, and rail thin.  I remember I was supposed to be on the OL, blocking, and I wasn't into it.  The guy from the other team starting laughing at me and saying I couldn't block for shit.  That did the trick.  I pancaked him the next play, and he didn't do anything from there on out.  I had hands of stone, so I was always linebacker and OL.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 10:56 »

KC's much more familiar with that formula, so I defer.  I thought the two components were starting time and size of deal: is one more heavily weighted?  If it's money, we should get something in the Faneca-Mandy Moore exchange.
The biggest factor is whether or not you have a "net loss" of qualifying players through Free Agency.  You need to lose more than you gain to really benefit in the Comp Pick Derby.

After that, the size of the deal comes into play.  Using Faneca as an example; his deal with the Jets averages $8M per year, which is big money even in the NFL.  It probably would equate to a third round comp, which is the highest they award.  For comparison,  the Steelers got R4 comps for K Bell ($4.2M), Plax ($4.2M), & Chris Hope ($5.3M) over the last 4 years.

Starting time & individual accomplishments (Pro Bowl, League Leader, etc) also factor in, but their impact is smaller.

If you sign a player that qualifies, they would pretty much offset the loss of another regardless of the salary difference.  A recent example would be the signing of Ryan Clark ($1.75M) offset the loss of Kimo ($3M+) two years ago.  At his point Moore's signing could offset Faneca's.  The Steelers could still get a comp pick based on the differences in salary, but these "Net Value" picks are always R7's.  

I'd rather have the R3 than the R7, so I'm hoping that someone else works a deal with one of our remaining UFA's.  That way, the Moore signing would offset the loss of someone other than Faneca.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2008 at 12:12 by KeystoneKC » Logged

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 11:18 »

There's always Haggans...

Read the Fox will play inside, the Kriewaldt slot.

KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 12:12 »

Haggans is my best hope.  I can't imagine anyone offering St Pierre, Haynes, Eason, Cooper, or Kreider anything substantial.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 12:26 »

At his point Moore's signing could offset Faneca's.  The Steelers could still get a comp pick based on the differences in salary, but these "Net Value" picks are always R7's.  

I'd rather have the R3 than the R7, so I'm hoping that someone else works a deal with one of our remaining UFA's.  That way, the Moore signing would offset the loss of someone other than Faneca.
Not for nothing but, if that's true, I would've preferred they didn't sign Moore and just collect what would've likely been a R3 comp.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 13:21 »

Not for nothing but, if that's true, I would've preferred they didn't sign Moore and just collect what would've likely been a R3 comp.
True dat AJ, but I really like the Moore signing.  More than most in recent years.  I think he ended up pigeonholed in Minny & didn't get a fair shot.

FWIW:

His YPC (5.6) last year was dead-even with the Vikes' wunderkind Adrian Peterson, and higher than the #2 Chester Taylor.  Thats about a full yard higher than any Steeler back last year.  He's averaged 5.5 or more in three of his 4 NFL seasons.

He's got average-or-better receiving skills.  His 9.4 average compares favorably with just about all current Steeler or Vike backs sans Peterson's (1) year career.

I haven't been able to find anyone speaking ill of his blocking abilities.  Most on the Vikes' boards visited were sorry to see him go.

He adds very respectable numbers in both Punt & Kick returns... something the Steelers have struggled with for some time now.

I counted about 480 touches in his 4-year career.  He's fumbled six times, and recovered four of those.

It seems like a real nice signing for $1.6M per.  

Just to see your head explode, here are the last (7) Steeler 3rd rounders:
Matt Spaeth
Willie Reid
Trai Essex
Max Starks
Chris Hope
Kendrick Clancy
Hank Poteat

Who do you like mo(o)re?  I'd rather have a 3rd than a 7th.  But, if these are the Steelers' typical 3rd rounders, I dunno if I'd rather have the pick over the FA.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2008 at 13:58 by KeystoneKC » Logged

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 14:13 »

I think if you're basing your cap strategy on letting guys go because you're relying on comps... that you're relying on a very dicey strategy.  Comps should balance out net loss and gain, but I view them more as icing on the cake.  Still, I understand what AJ's saying about the net value differential between Big Money Faneca and our nice small deal steal, MM.

KC, very good stuff on Moore.  Lots of folks really liked him coming out of Tulane, and I remember thinking he was interesting.  Could really blossom here in a way he didn't have a chance to there.  Love to see him and FWP actually split out as WRs and catch the ball downfield, but I've been saying that for two or three years now.  So.  

I think Haggans will sign a modest deal somewhere.  I had been hoping he might come back here for depth, but the comp thing, well... Go ahead and sign with those Browns, Clark...

jpbucco
N00b

« Reply #28 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 11:16 »

Do you guys remember the last 4-3 outside backer who failed to impress prior team, that the Steelers signed and moved inside?

James Farrior...maybe the change in system will help Fox blossom...he WAS  a third rounder after all.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 11:38 »

True.  But Farrior was 8th overall in '97, so the potential upside was more pronounced.  A third rounder?  Hey, could work out again.  It's just that I think it will be more of a surprise if he turns into another Farrior.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: