Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 23, 2014 at 09:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we have extended Big Ben B4 Last Season?  (Read 587 times)
koehla
No longer a N00b!

« on: Mar 12, 2008 at 10:26 »

(1) What do you think a contract extension for Ben would have cost us before last season?

(2) If we had signed Ben to a long extension for cheap, what would the pressure have been like to renegotiate once he got back to being his old self?

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 10:34 »

Short answer, there's no way in hell I would've extended him to a long term deal around one year removed from the motorcycle accident, not knowing if he would ever be able to get back to the '05 #7 version.  IMO, after all the health issues he faced in '06, it would've been a big gamble to do it at that point.

And, even if they did and they signed him for less than market value, if he goes out in '07 and performs like he did, they'd probably be looking at re-doing that deal at some point in the near future.

Overall, I think the timing was right.  A ways back, I had suggested that they might want to wait another year to see how he does, but we you factor in various incentives and/or things like a 3 million roster bonus that I was unaware of at the time, I don't think it would've really mattered in the long run.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 10:36 »

1. It would have cost us uncertainty.  2007 proved that Ben is back, and better than ever IMO.  So we know he's not suffering any long-term effects from the crash and injuries of 2006.  That's no small consideration.  Plus with 3 years remaining, neither side was ready to ink a new deal.

2. I'd say we'd have had until 2009 at most (3 presumably good years) until the shit hit the fan and we wound up paying more than we did in the current deal.  Maybe it would have been an issue even sooner, frankly.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 10:42 »

That would be my issue.  Hindsight is always 20/20, but I'm sure after 2006 management was thinking, "Do we WANT to extend this guy?"  A lot of things were up in the air after 2006, and extending Ben after an injury-riddled, subpar year probably wasn't first on anyone's mind, and most likely wasn't feasible.

As much of a fan as I am of BB, I do think that he likes himself quite a bit.  He seems to cross back and forth from having some confidence issues (gets very down on himself about mistakes) to having too much confidence (I KNOW I can get the ball in that miniscule gap right there!).  I think that after the 2007 he had, he'd be moaning (albeit behind the scenes) about a rework if he had signed a mgmt-friendly deal after 06.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 22:24 »

He wouldn't have signed some "cheap" long-term contract. Useless conjecture.  

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 00:12 »

He wouldn't have signed some "cheap" long-term contract. Useless conjecture.
Indeed. We got him for just under his net worth.

Perhaps we can recruit/draft the north cathoholic starting 5 to "block" for the PS next year?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 21:46 »

Perhaps we can recruit/draft the north cathoholic starting 5 to "block" for the PS next year?

Hey they played hard. Underclassmen'd and undersized and underskilled but they kept it interesting for a bit.

And Pawono did block the hell out of Terrelle Pryor (inciting the infamous 'overrated' call).

They scratched and clawed and gunned 3's (when our big guy wasn't using Pryor) and flopped to the tune that the #1 team in the PIAA was waiting at the locker room to throw down. Frustrated.

Not that anyone cares but that dude will be a seriously big-time well-known dominator/punk in a few years. One of the greatest athletes I've ever encountered. He'll cash in big time most likely. Still will always be a punk, though.

Marcus Vick was talented, too.

Thank the Lord for Big Ben. One more reason we're fortunate to have him locked up (no pun intended, Vicks). Dude is the real MF'n deal.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2008 at 21:49 by Y2Joyce » Logged

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: