Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 17, 2014 at 19:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers Host Hartwig  (Read 2857 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Mar 14, 2008 at 15:06 »

Still looking for a better center...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 15:55 »

SINGG LEE CHARLES BENTME!!1!!

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 19:07 »

SING DONHO NIKKI!!!!!!!!!11

A shabby Charlie Brown.
blurjose
N00b

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 20:23 »

If Nicky (sp?) is as good a special teams player as they say I think it could be one of those important under the radar signings. And as a back up safety could he be any more below average than Carter?
blurjose
N00b

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 20:27 »

2007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 65

Comment: Hartwig is strong, versatile and fairly athletic. He plays big and could fill in at guard. He has good initial quickness and understands body position and angles. He is smart, instinctive and efficient. He can handle the calls and adjustments on the line. He is a solid technician who can get position and wall off. He stays balanced and in control when slipping off combo blocks to get to the second level. He can short pull, then locate and hit moving targets. He can slide and mirror off short pass sets. He has strong, active hands. He plays with awareness and reacts well to zone dogs and stunts. But Hartwig is tall for a center and doesn't play with ideal leverage. He isn't very explosive and fares best using angles instead of drive blocks. He sometimes struggles to maintain pocket depth against bull rushers. He had been durable before spending most of 2006 on injured reserve (groin).

2007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 54

Comment: Nickey is the Titans' backup strong safety and brings a good bit of special teams' value. He is very big for a safety, with excellent height and good girth and overall strength. He has never been a regular starter in his four-year career and has brought little production in the base defense. He is a very aggressive player who never backs down and has a fine special-teams mentality. He is at his best in the box in run support and is much better against the run than the pass. He is durable and tough. Nickey is a physical tackler and can jolt the ballcarrier. He has a good understanding of the position and impressive ball skills, but his athletic ability is lacking and he often isn't able to get into position to demonstrate his ability to play the ball in the air. His change of direction is poor for a backend player and he shows noticeable stiffness. He is limited in coverage, high in his pedal and shows stiff hips in transition. He is a distinct liability if matched up against just about any wide receiver in the league one on one. Nickey is not a smooth athlete and will always be limited, but he is aggressive and can fill a limited role to help his football team.

-----------------

If the scouting report is accurate (and you never know with Scouts, Inc) it doesn't sound like Hartwig is what the Steelers are looking for. They struggled with the bullrushers up the middle last year. I guess competition can't hurt and you can't get worse than Mahan last season.

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2008 at 21:36 »

Not surprised about Hartwig. I almost posted when I saw him get released by Carolina that I thought the Steelers might bring him in, but I didn't feel like typing.

Be sweet to get that signing IMO, so the Steelers can focus on something other than all O-line in the draft.

If we sign him, I guess Mahan is in dire straights, but he should be a competitor at LG and for sure a backup this year.  Better savings toward the cap vs. benefit if released next year.
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2008 at 15:26 »

I want this signing to happen but it will only if we pull the Starks offer..Hartwig is 29...and a physical center...I remember watchin him battle Casey pretty good couple yrs back.. Going against Jamal Williams and Kris Jenkins daily i dont no how he could be weak on bull rushers..

Id like to see him sign to a 2-3 yr deal..allow Darnell to learn under him...It would remove C as a draft need this year in a weak C draft..We could move Mahan to guard for competition with Kemo..Allows us to focus on depth at Tackle behind Marvel...

Id love to have this depth... LT: Marvel and Chris Williams ( 1st round pick)..LG: Kemo and Mahan (maybe try to restructure Mahan).. C: Hartwig and Stapleton..RG: Simmons and Edgar Sosa (Day 2 Pick from Lousiville)..RT: Colon..Maybe Capizzi or a day 2 draft pick project..

Everyday that goes by without reworking a deal with Max makes me believe more and more it wont get done..

Thoughts?
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2008 at 17:08 »

Let me fix that... Hartwig battled Haynesworth in practice when he was in Tenn and Jenkins in Carolina.. not Jamal Williams
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2008 at 21:25 »

Well, scanning over KFFL, 10 other teams have interest in Hartwig...lol... Unless he wants to play here, given our cap, he won't be landing here.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 09:11 »

Well, scanning over KFFL, 10 other teams have interest in Hartwig...lol... Unless he wants to play here, given our cap, he won't be landing here.
CHIEFS SNIFFING AROUND HARTWIG
Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2008, 8:16 a.m.
As the saying goes, one man

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: