Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 21, 2014 at 02:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anthony McFarland  (Read 2236 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 08:11 »

I'm not saying the sky is falling, and one would assume he was signed to close to
vet min for a short termer.  OK fine.  However:
  • Is the knee OK?  Agent says he'll be ready by camp; missed a season plus flunked a February physical, which triggered his release.  All of this is academic unless he can actually play.
  • How does he fit in the 3-4?  Could be lining up in the middle for 40 sets when Hamp comes off for passing downs, could push Keisel at end.  Or he could be a duck out of water.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 08:35 »

It'll be interesting to see what the terms were, but you have to assume he didn't command a whole lot of money (mostly because the Steelers don't have a whole lot of cap room left).
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2008 at 08:37 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
ajv148

« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 08:44 »

At 6'0, I see him playing NT in the 3-4.  Spelling Hampton from time to time, which could ultimately lengthen his career, because those guys take a beating.

Like others have said, if he comes on the cheap, which I expect he did, I like the move a lot.
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 10:22 »

Four FAs?  We've gone mad!
I was thinkin' the same thing.  One more, & we'll match our total from the last three seasons combined.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
ben2hines4six

Proud member of STEELER NATION!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 10:39 »

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_559113.html

Ummm, maybe not? I hate when writers and reporters jump the gun...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 10:46 »

Post-Gaz still hasn't retracted its story.  Ah, the intrigue.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 13:15 »

I have to believe that Booger will spell Hampton and double w/him when we use some 4-3 type sets.  Just hope he's healthy, he was a force for the Colts in 06.

IF we've actually singed him...O NOW DEM CHEEPAZZ RASIST RONNIES DESIDES 2 GO CARAZY AN SING FAS>>>KRODEL WULDAVE WUN THEE SUPPER BOWL IF THEYDAVE DUN THIZ 10 YRS AGO<<<

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 14:37 »

If McFarland is part of this DL group next season what does that mean for a guy like Chris Hoke? If I remember right we signed him to decent money couple years back....His job in jeopardy?

How would this signing effect the draft? Right now we have Aaron Smith, Keisel, Casey, Travis, McBean, and Hoke at the 3 DL spots..If McFarland signs does the need for DL this yr go away?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 14:42 »

If McFarland is part of this DL group next season what does that mean for a guy like Chris Hoke? If I remember right we signed him to decent money couple years back....His job in jeopardy?

How would this signing effect the draft? Right now we have Aaron Smith, Keisel, Casey, Travis, McBean, and Hoke at the 3 DL spots..If McFarland signs does the need for DL this yr go away?
I don'n't think it affects Hoke.  Kirschke, maybe we pull that deal.  Maybe.

Check the median age of our DL group.  Aside from McBean, these guys are all getting up there.  The need still exists, it's just that Booger gives us some depth and some time to develop a guy.

Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 18:42 »

I'd love bringing in McFarland for depth and as a high character guy in the locker room. Hoke fills that role now and we'd be getting the same thing from The Boog except he's a more naturally talented fella. Therein lies the upside to me.

Is he healthy? Well the tests will bear that information out. Obviously it is tough for a 300-pounder to recover from injuries to the legs. Especially joints (patella tendon). It's a risk worth exploring. Who's to say Indy didn't send in a doc who happened to be familiar with the team's salary cap crunch to perform that physical? Im sure it happens all the time.

If we risk him being healthy and add an effective big-name DL (in a reduced role, obviously) I'd be thrilled. Teams were throwing draft picks around for DLineman with less impressive resumes than McFarland this offseason.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: