Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 01, 2014 at 02:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who We're Looking at...  (Read 7440 times)
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #20 on: Apr 05, 2008 at 22:50 »

Slaton could be a great third down back in the NFL. Great hands to come out of the backfield, but does lack the toughness I think to be a consistent performer. I would be more happy if they DARFTED Owen Schmitt. I think he will make the better NFL player IMO. As a WVU guy, I do wish them both well, and hope they both have HOF careers, but I think the reality is what it is.
I wholeheartedly agree with the Schmitt over Slaton notion. I wish Slaton well, but to say he wasn't a letdown and that he did not regress during the last two years would be the understatements of the year.  

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Apr 07, 2008 at 17:36 »

I like this...

Steelers | Team meets with Dixon
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 12:00:30 -0700

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers met with University of Oregon QB Dennis Dixon Monday, April 7.

Like Dixon quite a bit, and the injury will push him down some...  A presumptive R5 prospect who I think is a day 1 value.  

2007: Suffered a left knee torn anterior cruciate ligament vs. Arizona State, playing the following week vs. Arizona before being sidelined for the final three contests

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Apr 07, 2008 at 18:15 »

Crikey, ya think Colbert does read us?!
I don't know if he reads us, or just looks in from time to time to see if leigh has posted anything new.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2008 at 18:27 »

Crikey, ya think Colbert does read us?!
I don't know if he reads us, or just looks in from time to time to see if leigh has posted anything new.
Please provide me the link to liegh's post.
o boy!

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Apr 08, 2008 at 08:29 »

Surprised we brought in Talib.

He and Manningham are likely DND for the Steelers...

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Apr 08, 2008 at 12:44 »

An odd bunch...

4 prospects visit Steelers
Tuesday, April 08, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Four more college prospects paid visits to the Steelers today: linebacker Bryan Smith of McNees State, cornerback Tracy Porter of Indiana, kick returner Matthew Slater of UCLA who is the son of former NFL tackle and Hall of Famer Jackie Slater, and defensive back Ryan Mundy of West Virgina.

Porter, I can see using a visit on.  Not sure about the others.

Draft Scout Snapshot: DS Rating on 08/12/07: #37 OLB, #464/750 Overall, Projected: PFA
12 GP; 12 GS; 84 TT, 23 TFL, 13.5 SK, 5 PBU, 19 QBH, 2 FF, 1 BLK; All-American, DPOY, 1st team All-Southland in '06. 9 GP; 9 GS; 43 TT, 11 TFL, 7 SK, 1 PBU, 11 QBH, 2 FF in '05. 

Overview   

Small school defensive end prospect who will have to be moved to outside linebacker in the NFL, but has flashed the athleticism and certainly the big-play ability to warrant this projection. The most dominant edge rusher in the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly D-IAA) over the past two seasons, Smith is a two-time All-American and Southland Conference Defensive Player of the Year. As one would expect of a player his size, Smith possesses great burst off the snap and the straight-line speed to chase down ballcarriers. He has intriguing change of direction and flashes explosiveness in his hands, prompting some to view him as a potential diamond in the rough.

Analysis

Positives: Intriguing athlete who has dominated his level of competition. ... Good burst off the snap and shows the balance to sink his shoulders and drive around the offensive tackle. ... High-effort player who pursues with passion. ... Reads the action quickly and flashes the change of direction to flatten out and beat backs to the edge. ... Flashes strong use of hands to disengage from blocks.

Negatives: Classic 'tweener who lacks the size to remain at defensive end, but has no experience and only flashes the athleticism necessary to transition to outside linebacker. ... Lacks the strength to hold up to effective blocking - even at this level. ... Not viewed as an intriguing enough prospect to earn high-level all-star game consideration.

Draft Scout Snapshot: DS Rating on 08/12/07: #6 CB, #52/750 Overall, Projected: Rnd 2
2008 Postseason update (04/04/08): Stock: Steady. More physical at Senior Bowl than expected, although that's not his best attribute. Ran well at the Combine (4.37 40) and put up a surprising 18 reps at 188 pounds.

2007: Started every game, ranking second in the league and tied for 18th in the nation with six interceptions for 137 yards in returns
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2008 at 12:51 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #26 on: Apr 08, 2008 at 13:38 »

DARFT RAN MONDAY!!!!!1111

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Apr 08, 2008 at 13:41 »

Everyone but Porter's likely a late/UDFA.  Why waste those visits?  I just don't get that.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Apr 08, 2008 at 13:47 »

Everyone but Porter's likely a late/UDFA.  Why waste those visits?  I just don't get that.
They've seen everybody they're interested in seeing?

*shrugs*

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Apr 08, 2008 at 14:01 »

I gotta go and format this shit, but IIRC we've only had about half our visits...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: