Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 05:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who We're Looking at...  (Read 7405 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Mar 25, 2008 at 18:44 »

Bumping to end of thread.  
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2009 at 09:18 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2008 at 21:03 »

Amazing to think how far Steve Slaton has fallen in the draft.  Seemed a sure-fire first rounder not too long ago.

Just remember, kids, it's never too early to declare draft eligibility.  

Anyway, I know he's not the "change of pace" back so many are set on, but if he's there in round 5, it wouldn't bug me to pick him.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 08:13 »

I think Slaton's just too slight to be a full time HB in the NFL.  Was he ever really a R1 kinda guy?  Or just a great collegiate player with question marks once you line him up next to bigger backs?

vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 08:37 »

Slaton could be a great third down back in the NFL. Great hands to come out of the backfield, but does lack the toughness I think to be a consistent performer. I would be more happy if they DARFTED Owen Schmitt. I think he will make the better NFL player IMO. As a WVU guy, I do wish them both well, and hope they both have HOF careers, but I think the reality is what it is.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 08:46 »

03/10/08 - Dozens of NFL scouts, assistant coaches and even a couple of head coaches watched former Auburn players go through a myriad of drills and tests Monday. It was Pro Day on the Auburn practice field. Some players - like Quentin Groves, Pat Sims, Carl Stewart, Pat Lee and Jonathan Wilhite - tried to improve on their NFL Combine performances. Some tried to make an impression for the first time. Head coaches Mike Tomlin of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Marvin Lewis of the Cincinnati Bengals led the NFL contingent on hand to watch.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 08:47 »

BTW, when I Googled "Steelers Quentin Groves," the first two results were MGS.  We rock.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 10:12 »

Some site, New Era Scouting, has listed that the Steelers have interest in Gary Butler, OLB, California of PA; King Dunlap, OT, Auburn; Red Keith, MLB, Central Michigan; Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana; and Dominic Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State.  I have not found any verification of this yet.  This might be combine talk or something from the Senior Bowl, but I'm trying to limit the list to actual visits to the Steelers, and significant Pro Days (with top coaches visiting).

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 14:06 »

I'm a 'lil slow today...

Players in bold are...?
Players not in bold are...?

Nice looking...ah, compendium you got there, BTW.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2008 at 14:06 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 14:38 »

Bolded, we've brought in.  Non-bolded, primarily PDs.  IMO, the bring-ins are of more consequence.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2008 at 15:01 »

I must've dozed off at some point.  When did they bring in Sweed and Hardy?

Not too enamored with Sweed.

Amazing how much James' stock has taken off.  I remember watching him in a game late last year and thinking, "why isn't this dude talked about as a top WR prospect?"  He has all the tools with a T.O.~like frame.  

At that time, I thought he would be a top R2 or R3 target.  Now, he might not even be there in R1 at 1.23.  Plus, I just read somewhere that he ran a solid 4.4 at his Pro Day (I think) which pretty much squashes the only perceived "knock" on the guy.

I like the player, a lot, but the biggest concern really is...another R1 WR?  I dunno.  I really don't know.

A RB or WR in R1 would be lovely, but...I guess it really depends on who's still on the board and whether they can move up/down and still get their guy.  I think so many things would have to go wrong for them to go that route.  All the top OLmen (Long, Clady, Williams, Otah, Baker, Albert) gone; no DLmen prospects worth a R1; no willing trade down partner, maybe then, they acquiesce and give Ben a "big target."

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: