Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 07:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STEELERS MOCK DRAFT CONTEST  (Read 1815 times)
SteelPerch
N00b

« on: Apr 06, 2008 at 09:53 »

STEELERS MOCK DRAFT CONTEST!!![/size]

OK so here is the game:

Predict who the Steelers select with each of their 6 picks in the draft, and then make 4 "bonus picks".   Scoring goes as follows:

4 points - Correct player in correct round & slot
3 points - correct player in correct round but wrong slot
2 points - correct player in wrong round
1 point  - correct player with a bonus pick

bonus
bonus
bonus
bonus

You can predict a trade.  Just make sure to put the correct draft slot number with your prediction.  If you predict the Steelers getting more picks than the 6, adjust your "bonus" picks down to ensure you have 10 total guesses.  This is an inter-site mock so in addition to the best entry we will calculate the best average score per site.  Last year we had 5 sites participate and over 50 entries.

Last year's best entry winner was SteelHaven of Stillers.com who nailed 5 correct picks, 4 in the correct round.  The best average score was won by the McMillen and Wife site.

Prizes will be provided by Father George at http://www.believemerch.com/
This year's winners get prizes as follows:
1st place: 3 free T-shirts and possible bonus prize
2nd place: 2 free t-shirts
3rd place: 1 free t-shirt

Everyone only gets 1 entry.  All entries must be sent in by 12:000 noon the day before the draft starts, which is Friday April 25th.   No exceptions.  To submit an entry do so in this thread or just PM it to me.

Prizes will be provided by Father George at http://www.believemerch.com/

Some examples of his merchandise:

SteelPerch
N00b

« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2008 at 09:01 »

There has been a $100.00 cahs prize awarded to the 1st place winner!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2008 at 09:44 »

All right, I'll play.  I may revise this entry once or twice between now and the deadline, based on player visits and such.  When finished, I'll mark it as completed.

One question: are the bonus picks to be completed regardless of whether trades occur?  If we stick with six picks, are the bonuses, sort of backup guesses?

Finnegans Wake Entry - *INCOMPLETE*

1.23 Quentin Groves, OLB, Auburn.    People are clamoring for OL help, but the best guys may be off the board by 1.23, and while we've looked at some high-end WRs, I'd be surprised we selected one without a trade-down.  For a few weeks, I've been saying Groves might be BPA at 1.23 and would help our pass rush, but had the sneaking feeling we might waste the pick on Max Starks II, Gosder Cherilus, who is a good player but not a 1.23 value IMO.  But Tomlin personally attended Auburn's visit, and Groves is one of the 30.  Plus, the Timmons Experiment likely will not include time at OLB after all, for which he was presumably drafted.  Fine; spending three picks on LBs in rounds 1-2 of the 2007-08 draft isn't as crazy as it might seem, if Timmons succeeds inside.  In any event both ILB and OLB needed new legs in a bad way, and Groves would give us a mighty 1-2 punch with Wood.  (Cherilus makes a bonus pick in case we miss on Groves.)

2.53 Chilo Rachal, OG, USC. The good news is, the Steelers are looking at quite a few OL guys.  The bad news is, I'm not convinced our picks fall at the best nexus of value and availability for OTs.  At 2.53, the Steelers could get the best OG besides Albert, and Rachal is a guy they apparently like.  The OG logjam of lesser lights (Simmons, Kemo, possibly Mahan, and Colon?) would become clearer with an infusion of talent.  The coaches might be tempted to move Starks to LT and keep Colon at RT, but IMO Starks is better suited at RT, and Colon at RG.  But this isn't about what I would do...

3.88 Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton.  Our DL is aging, and most of our targets are likely to be gone.  (Langford, in fact, might not last to 3.88.)  On the chance Langford is still around, I think it's a good bet we'd take him.

4.123 Dorien Bryant, KR/WR, Purdue.  STs play is another sore subject for Tomlin, and even with Mewelde Moore as a PR, Tomlin knows he could use a good KR.  With Rossum gone and Reid a question mark, Bryant would be a heck of a special teams addition.  In many ways similar to Reid (stature, upside), this might pressure Reid to work harder or face being cut, and would add some depth to a WR squad now down a guy.  Bryant is not on the visit list yet, but I'd bet we draft one guy who's got KRs on his resume.

5.156 Keilen Dykes, DE/DT, WVU. A bit of a tweener, might be a guy who could add depth at end by develop into a NT.  

6.188 Bernard Morris, QB/ATH, Marshall.  Morris is interesting enough to bring in as a #3 QB prospect to develop behind Batch, but has been mentioned as a possible WR or S.  His timed speed doesn't help that assertion much, but Steelers scouts apparently liked Morris at Marshall's Pro Day.  Worth a R6 gamble.

bonus Gosder Cherilus, OT, BC.

bonus Charles Godfrey, CB/FS, Iowa. Possible alternate at 3.88 if still on board.

bonus King Dunlap, OT, Auburn.  A guy they might bring in late, based on seeing him at Auburn's PD.

bonus Mario Urrutia, WR, Louisville.  It's odd to me that the Steelers would waste a visit on a guy rated so low, but they might look to add some height to the WR corps late in the draft.  Might be a R6 gamble.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
sysadmin7

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 23:02 »

I'm in on this as well, so just mark me down for that Lambert's Lunatics t-shirt!

1.23: Kenny Phillips FS Miami: Like Finny, I believe the top O-line talent is long gone so we look in another direction. #23 is a tough spot, as I feel most guys we are looking at will be gone (J. Stewart, M. Jenkins, B. Albert, etc) so Phillips is my pick.

2.53: Antione Cason CB Arizona: With Cason still left on the board it's hard to pass up on a kid of his talents.

3.88: Kendall Langford DE Hampton: Like Finny, I think we grab him in the 3rd. Some project him in the 4th, others in the 3rd...but I feel our organization likes him enough to go after him here. This also gives us someone other than T. Kirschke as depth!

4.123: Mike McGlynn G Pittsburgh: Taking defense in the firs 3 rounds, we opt for O-line in the 4th.

5.156: Bryan Smith DE/OLB McNeese St.

6.188: Mario Uruttia WR Louisville: Height to the Wr core...

BONUS: Jerod Mayo LB Tennessee
BONUS: Dre Moore DT Maryland
BONUS: Chilo Rachal G USC
BONUS: Charles Godfrey CB/FS Iowa

LINUX = FREEDOM
SteelPerch
N00b

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2008 at 08:03 »

contest is LOCKED!!!  Good luck!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2008 at 08:17 »

Crap.  I'da changed about half my picks.  Too late now.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SteelPerch
N00b

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 07:57 »

Nobody from this site scored a point.

The winners were a 3 way tie with 4 points:  JPEEZY from McMillenandwiife.com, hardnosed from SteelerFury.com, and SteelSmitty from SteelerFury.com.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 08:18 »

Nobody from this site scored a point.
Consistency is key.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 21:02 »

Anyone from those lame-ass wannabe sites ever win a grill?

Didn't think so.  

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 21:07 »

Anyone from those lame-ass wannabe sites ever win a grill?

Didn't think so.
Good thing I didn't play.  I had us trading up to take Joe Flacco in the first round.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: