Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 16, 2014 at 00:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't get this  (Read 647 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Apr 11, 2008 at 14:10 »

What exactly does this mean?

*** Street money: With Pennsylvania being an old machine politics state -- especially in Philly -- there's a history of providing walking-around money, something that is legal and something Obama's campaign has refused to do. As the Los Angeles Times reports,

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2008 at 15:19 »

I don't understand the connection here.  WAMs are legislative graft at its worst: unfettered money legislators can spend on pet projects, usually election-related, with zero oversight or transparency.  Activist groups have been barking about them for years, and IIRC then-candidate Tom Ridge was going to eliminate them.  It's true that Philly is a well-oiled political city, and Rendell's got a pipeline running from Harrisburg to his cronies in the City of Brotherly Theft, to ensure that the Guvnah of Philthadelphia gets his platinum parachute someday.  

But that's all Pennsy stuff: I'm quite sure Rendell has a to-o-o-o-on of WAM money trying to win the Philly vote for his girl Hill, but Obama doesn't have his hand on that tap.  So Murray is either privvy to info I'm not aware of or is grossly misinformed.

BTW, while the mayors of Philly and Pitt may support Hillary, and Ye Greasy Olde Bastard Rendell as well, there does seem to be one pesky factor in Obama's favor, and I don't mean the soft-spoken Bob "Unibrow" Casey.  Voter registration across the state has skyrocketed for Democrats, and at least anecdotally, the impression is that's laregly Obama-driven.  More than that, just as Obama's been able to set up effective grassroots offices weeks before Hillary has in many major states, thereby whittling 20 and 30 point leads down to single digit "wins" or even outright losses for the Duplicitous One, there's been a major effort here in the midstate: organizing for the St. Patty's Day parade, food drives, toy drives for children, phone banks with people coming from surrounding states to volunteer, etc.  

It's disgusting, democracy at work, when we have these good ol' boy WAMs and party politics already in place.  

On our street: I'm sure some of my Democrat neighbors were surprised when I put up the Obama sign in our yard, and the neighbors across the street whom I assumed to be more the Hillary demographic asked where they could get theirs.  IMO there's a growing support here in the conservative middle, and if he can get some more support in the western part of the state, he might win outright.  (I saw a recent breakdown by region, and IIRC Pitt was sluggish for Obama, but he was doing well other areas.)

IMO, the report is just looking for anything that might stanch the Hillary hemorrhage.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2008 at 15:21 »

Here's a good regional breakdown from Quinnipiac.

He's really behind in the Pitt area.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: