Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 29, 2014 at 03:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ryan Clark rips trainers  (Read 608 times)
shills
No longer a N00b!

« on: Apr 15, 2008 at 19:15 »

Maybe something?  Maybe nothing.
Not the kind of thing I think would get one cut ... but, say they draft a safety?
Or the kind of thing that Tomlin doesn't want lingering in the locker room?

STEELERS SAFETY TEES OFF ON TRAINERS
Posted by Mike Florio on April 15, 2008, 6:29 p.m.
Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark has balls.  Or maybe he wants to be cut, or traded.  Because Clark is sounding off regarding the manner in which the team
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2008 at 19:18 by shills » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 20:10 »

Do you have a link by any chance?  It would be much appreciated.
shills
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 20:33 »

PFT:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/15/...ff-on-trainers/
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2008 at 07:58 »

But this isn't particular to the Steelers.  There are guys who "retire" all the time because they have trainers and med staff who are working for the team, which is interested in getting the player patched up and back in the lineup ASAP.  Remember some story a few years ago about Jets or Browns, forget which, and their shady ways, multiple players having serious, serious repurcussions from staph, and it hit a bunch of players.  Guys retire at age 33 or whatever, not because they want to sun themselves in Cabo of because the young bucks are just that increment faster, but because sometimes these guys are significantly disabled.  Look at Jerome Bettis's comments about getting out of bed in the morning.

So players and trainers are both in a difficult spot.  Players rely on but mistrust, to a certain degree, the diagnoses.  They want to serve their team, but not at the long-term expense to personal health.  Yet if they show reluctance or want to take it slow, then you can see where the coaches and management pressure them.  Trainers are caught in the middle too: they want to find that difficult balance that's best for both sides.  

I don't know enough about the symptomology of the spleen problem to say whether it sounds outright negligent of the training staff to have missed that call, but I certainly understand Clark's position.  He's invested in this career, and this team, and he also needs to look out for himself and his family.  I doubt very much this is a problem unique to Clark or the Steelers.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2008 at 10:48 »

I don't know enough about the symptomology of the spleen problem to say whether it sounds outright negligent of the training staff to have missed that call, but I certainly understand Clark's position.

Spleen injury is extremely tough to diagnose, and it rarely shows up when it initially happens.  It's an internal injury, not like a broken leg or a sprained ankle.  And I seriously doubt if our trainers or any other ones are equipped to deal with an initial diagnosis.  

When I was coaching high school, we had a kid who dropped a pass after taking a pretty hard hit, at a critical point in the game.  The other coaches jumped him pretty good.  He was laid up on the sidelines, and no one could seem to find out what was wrong.  One coach said, "He's got his pride hurt, that's all."  

Three days later they removed his spleen and he was done for the year.  Now, the Stillers training staff should have much more experience than a HS trainer and a couple of EMTs--but still, I think it's an indication that this injury is not obvious.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2008 at 09:00 »

I heard the interview...he didn't really rip them.  He just said that he felt they didn't think he was as injured as he was.  It really wasn't that bad.  Tim Benz from the X made it out to be like he reemed them out, then spit on their parents' graves.  

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: