Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 19, 2014 at 21:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No, seriously, Starks signs  (Read 1608 times)
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« on: Apr 19, 2008 at 17:51 »

Starks signs $6.9 million tender contract with Steelers
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Steelers tackle Max Starks cleared up any uncertainty about his feelings about playing for the Steelers in 2008 by signing his transition tender.

Starks, 26, was given the transition tender because the Steelers, who lost Alan Faneca to free agency, didn't want to suffer too big a loss on the offensive line. A year ago, center Jeff Hartings retired. Even though Starks didn't finish the season as the starter, the Steelers felt he was too valuable to lose.

As a transition player, Starks had the ability to sign with another team and give the Steelers a chance to match. By signing the tender, Starks will be with the team this year unless he is traded. Starks signed a one-year, $6.895 million contract.

Starks missed the end of the 2007 regular season and postseason after suffering damage to the meniscus cartilage in his right knee and requring surgery.

Starks started four games in place of tackle Marvel Smith in 2007. The four-year veteran was the starting right tackle for two years, but lost his job to second-year pro Willie Colon in training camp.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2008 at 18:40 »

4  dat kida $ dey soulda signed Peneca dats nutty111

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2008 at 19:11 »

This is definitely the make or break year for Starks.  That's a lot of dough to pay someone who's never really proven himself.  If he struggles again this year, no way we bring him back next year.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2008 at 20:04 »

Actually, I take this as a sign that Starks is gone after 2008.

If he was going to stay, they would've been able to sign him to an extension.

The good news is that if he desires a future blockbuster contract, then he better play well this year.

A question to the experts here...if we have a great OL draft, and it's apparent we don't need him by training camp, can we cut his ass and save the money?  

I know it would probably still count against the cap, but, it'd be nice for the FO have the option to save the dough.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
cbk_87
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2008 at 23:59 »

maybe they restructure this transition tag contract to a better cap contract for like 2 maybe 3 year deal ?
polishpower
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 04:00 »

Can you guys explain this to me?  I just don't get this.  Why did we transitition him?  Is there an explination or is this a Matt Morris type front office move?  
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 07:46 »

Marvel will be 30 this year in August.  He's had a bad back, bad neck, and some bad edge play against speed rushers.  He's nowhere near the Pro Bowler he once was, and he's in the final year of his contract.

Max is 26, has played up and down here, but apparently lost the RT job because he just didn't listen to coaching as well as Colon did.  Once he got his ass serious, he played well enough to fill in at the far more difficult LT spot late in the season.  While I doubt that he can anchor that spot long-term, the coaches may see him at the very least as a guy who can be a swing man, if needed.  At best, he signs a long-term deal -- that's not off the board yet, folks -- and anchors RT, allowing Colon to move to his much more natural OG position.  Whether all that happens remains to be seen, but  consider:

Colbert believes OT talent runs three rounds deep this year.  Taking a R2-3 LT would mean that the player is viewed as something of a developmental prospect.  Given a year to sit behind Marvel would dovetail with taking a guy outside of R1.  Contrariwise, selecting a guy like Otah or Cherilus might indicate the coaches feel Starks can anchor LT.

I believe the FO is waiting to see how the draft shakes out to sign Nate W. and Starks to longer term deals.  Starks didn't shake up any free agent interest, with teams know we could match, and that gives us a position of negotiating power in the coming weeks.  If we take one of the big name WRs early, Nate may well be one and out here.

Another theory to throw out there is that with Smith, Starks, and Colon on board, and Essex seen as a reserve worth keeping, the FO might believe a healthy Smith is key to the LT spot, and could extend him with a short deal.  I don't necessarily like that, but the thinking might be that OT and OC have been fixed or gotten healthy in the off-season, with OG the sole spot of draft need.  That would then point to guys like Rachal or McGlynn in R2 or 3, if Albert is gone in R1.  With a big bubble of DL talent (Bryant, J. Jones, Langford) in R3, that would possibly allow 1. BPA, 2. OG/OL, 3. DL.  

In short, making a long-term deal before next Saturday ain't happening.  Once we see how that settles out, we'll see guys getting extended.  It'll make sense then.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 07:04 »

Steelers' Colon could receive chance at left guard
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Buzz up!

With Max Starks signed for the upcoming season, the Steelers will take a look at Willie Colon at guard during offseason practices, which started Monday at the team's South Side facility.

Colon beat out Starks for the starting job at right tackle last season, but the Steelers have an opening at left guard because of the loss of Pro Bowler Alan Faneca to free agency.

Starks started four games at left tackle for Marvel Smith last season. Smith, who took part in yesterday's practice, apparently has made a full recovery from the back problems that plagued him in 2007.

The Steelers could move Colon to guard after seeing how he handles the position during offseason practices or have the third-year man and Starks again compete for the starting job at right tackle during training camp.

"They said that I'm starter-capable and that I'm flexible ... so we'll see where I fit," Starks said.

Starks recently signed the one-year deal that the Steelers had tendered him in February. The two sides continue to work toward a long-term contract extension, director of football operations Kevin Colbert said.

Starks is slated to make $6.9 million this season, and an agreement on an extension would give the Steelers more room under the salary cap and provide the fifth-year veteran with a measure of security.

"It still remains our goal and his goal and (Starks' agent) Eugene Parker (to agree on a long-term deal)," Colbert said, "so we're going to keep those talks alive because there are benefits for everybody involved."

So, good news on two fronts: the extension, and Colon to OG.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 08:46 »

So, good news on two fronts: the extension, and Colon to OG.
Good news, IMHO. Colon at RG and Starks at RT is really my preferred right side OL configuration. Hartwig at C, so, that means Simmons to LG? Does that mean that Mahan rides the pine? And Kemo is still odd man out?

I really hope they jettison Mahan --  pending some juicy OL draft choices this weekend, of course.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 11:31 »

juicy OL

I'm not sure that referring to large men as "juicy" is the best choice of words there, Lambert.  But that's just me   oo)

I am going to be POed if they take Cherilus at 1.23, unless there is a lot more to him that what I've seen.  

If Colon moves to LG, then perhaps the plan is to let Kemo and Simmons slug it out at RG?  I do not favor any oline plan that doesn't include major competition for PT between Simmons and someone.  

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: