Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 15:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers consider trading #1 pick  (Read 826 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Apr 21, 2008 at 15:16 »

Steelers consider trading team's first-round draft pick
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, April 21, 2008

The Steelers will consider trading their first-round draft pick to select later in the draft while acquiring an extra draft pick, director of football operations Kevin Colbert said today.

Colbert added that the Steelers are unlikely to trade up in the first round of Saturday's draft.

"Trading up in the first round is not a likely scenario," Colbert said at the team's final interview session with the local media prior to the draft. Colbert said the Steelers would be comfortable trading down because the second round is deep in talent.

Colbert repeated his stance that the Steelers will consider players at several position with their first-round pick. Colbert said quarterback and tight end are the only positions the team wouldn't take at No. 23.

"Other than that, we're open to any position," Colbert said.  

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_563550.html
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 15:32 »

Who knows if this has any real meaning?  But, if it was possible, I would love a trade-down.  If there is any truth to this and it's not just some kind of smokescreen, it probably indicates that the player we want (Albert?) is not going to be there at 1.23, so we're looking for volume in the absence of quality.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2008 at 15:35 »

I think it's legit.  If we could get a high R2 and a R3 out of 1.23, I think we have to do that.  I'm updating the visit list, but we're looking very hard at DL, OL, OLB, WR, and DB R1-3.  I think one of those gets bumped to R4, but we still need 4 picks in what used to be known as day one.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
TwistedLemon

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 07:16 »

I think the trade down is a real possibility.  Wouldn't mind it either.  Previous posts described a possible with Atlanta.  This could happen......they may want to reach up for either a QB (Brohm) or RB (F Jones).

"My reality check bounced"
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 10:04 »

Are they legitimately pursuing such a trade?  Yes.  Is there a legitimate chance of it happening?  No.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 10:19 »

Are they legitimately pursuing such a trade?  Yes.  Is there a legitimate chance of it happening?  No.
Disagree with you there.  With the shortened draft slots, they've got contingent agreements in place now, maybe a few more leading up to the draft.  The correct scenario might not break our way, but I can't dismiss it out of hand.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 10:39 »

Are they legitimately pursuing such a trade?  Yes.  Is there a legitimate chance of it happening?  No.
Disagree with you there.  With the shortened draft slots, they've got contingent agreements in place now, maybe a few more leading up to the draft.  The correct scenario might not break our way, but I can't dismiss it out of hand.
So the only way it happens is if we don't get enough back in return?  It is, after all, a buyer's market.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 11:48 »

Not so sure about that.  Most teams want to trade down, but 1.23 is an intriguing spot.  All the teams at the bottom, 1.25-31 or so, would love to trade down.  To get ahead of other teams, an Atlanta or whoever might need to shoot a little higher.  Much higher than 1.23, and the deal becomes too pricey.  

How many teams at the top of the order might want a QB?  Fins say they like last year's second rounder.  Falcons, yes, in the 2 spot.  Chiefs, yes, in the 4.  Jets, possibly, at the 6.  Ravens, definitely, at 7.  Panthers at 12, Bears at 13, although it might be too costly for those last teams.  Chiefs, Jets, and Ravens might find the Falcons get the jump on them.  If it's a bidder's war, even a minor one, we could wrangle value.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: