Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 28, 2014 at 16:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No, seriously, Starks signs  (Read 1600 times)
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 12:25 »

I won't be PO'd if they select Cherilus.  Says to me that Starks may be the long-term plan for LT, assuming they can get an extension done.  Starks C$2 won't be as hefty as Marvel's C$3.  Max at LT and Cherilus at RT in 2009?

Colon is not a good RT.  Might be pretty good at LG.  If so, I like a line of

My guess is Simmons' RG spot is his to keep.  Unless the Steelers plan to pay two backup guards starter money.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 12:58 »

I'm also OK with Cherilius (assuming no trade down).

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 14:14 »

I still don't see Starks as a long-term solution at left tackle.  With the Starks signing and both parties working towards an extension, I think that lowers the need to draft Cherilus.  

Ask yourself this question: since Trai Essex filled in OK at LT last year, would you bank the franchise on moving him there permanently?  How's it any different with Starks?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 17:12 »

I never ever thought Essex filled in OK anywhere 'cept a Big and Tall size 56 waist.

Guess we'll see whether the Steelers offer Essex the transition tag next year.  

My point was that if they draft Cherilus and sign Starks to an extension, it suggests to me that the Steelers feel Starks fits in to their long-term plans.  I don't see, as many others don't, Cherilus as a LT in the NFL.  So I expect Starks would play LT.  

So that scenario wouldn't have me irked that the Steelers drafted Cherilus as I think he'll be a good RT.  

If the Steelers don't draft him, that's fine too.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 18:08 »

I'm starting to re-evaluate my thought that OL is a first round no-brainer. If there is the expected run on OT (including Albert), the Starks and Hartwig moves might dictate a surprise.

I wouldn't be shocked now if we even went WR, if value is there. I would've been sick about this as little as a few weeks ago, but...

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 18:45 »

Ask yourself this question: since Trai Essex filled in OK at LT last year, would you bank the franchise on moving him there permanently? How's it any different with Starks?

I thought that Essex was adequate as a backup last year.  I felt that Starks was actually an improvement over Marvel, and I feel that he has more upside and potential than Essex to grow into the position.  

I'm not saying it's the spot for him, but I could see us trying to find out if he's the answer there.  

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Apr 22, 2008 at 20:22 »

Ask yourself this question: since Trai Essex filled in OK at LT last year, would you bank the franchise on moving him there permanently? How's it any different with Starks?

I thought that Essex was adequate as a backup last year.  I felt that Starks was actually an improvement over Marvel, and I feel that he has more upside and potential than Essex to grow into the position.  

I'm not saying it's the spot for him, but I could see us trying to find out if he's the answer there.
I tend to agree, Preach.

I will point out that both of those clowns aren't exactly rooks, however.   Starks had plenty of playing time at RT to "develop."

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Apr 24, 2008 at 01:05 »

I don't know what to make of the Tackle situation.  One thing is for sure, some questions will be answered this weekend.

I tend to think all of it means Marvel walks after this year.  I presume all line positions are open to be drafted at some point, but without knowing who, if any current player is in the running for an extension, flip a coin.

Might actually be a center? lol.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Apr 26, 2008 at 20:36 »

Given the day 1 draft, I'd presume Max is in the long term plans of the Steelers, and I'd expect them to get a long term deal done.   Whether it's to permanetly replace Colon at RT, or the future LT.  My thought is the latter.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: