Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 20, 2014 at 13:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Balmer ..Balmer...Balmer  (Read 1146 times)
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« on: Apr 26, 2008 at 07:39 »

Too many mock drafts have us selecting Balmer from UNC...I have a bad feeling about that pick.

Thoughts?

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2008 at 09:10 »

The pick really wouldn't make any sense at all, unless Tomlin is looking to go 4-3 sooner than we expected.  Even then, I'd rather us take pretty much any other defensive player in Rd 1 other than DT.  The only way a Balmer pick wouldn't be a huge disappointment is if we were able to trade down and acquire some extra picks and then select him early rd 2.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
TwistedLemon

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2008 at 09:22 »

Personally, would find that to be a huge disappointment.

Trade Down unless Albert is there.

"My reality check bounced"
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2008 at 09:46 »

You guys don't think Balmer would be a fit as a 3-4 end?  My concerns are basically that he is a one-year wonder, and that his workout numbers were just OK.  But scheme-wise, no problem.  

If the top OTs are off, is it smarter to get the 5th or 6th best OT, or the 3rd best DT?  Balmer could learn for a year behind the current starters.

He's not my top pick, but I wouldn't shit if we took him.

Still,  he wasn't a visit, and most of our DL visits are closer to R2 (Moore) and R3 (Langford, Jones, Bryant).  My guess is R3 we go DL.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2008 at 09:54 »

You guys don't think Balmer would be a fit as a 3-4 end?  My concerns are basically that he is a one-year wonder, and that his workout numbers were just OK.  But scheme-wise, no problem.  

If the top OTs are off, is it smarter to get the 5th or 6th best OT, or the 3rd best DT?  Balmer could learn for a year behind the current starters.

He's not my top pick, but I wouldn't shit if we took him.

Still,  he wasn't a visit, and most of our DL visits are closer to R2 (Moore) and R3 (Langford, Jones, Bryant).  My guess is R3 we go DL.
Yeah I don't doubt he can play 3-4 end, but I still think if Balmer was the pick, it would signify a shift to 4-3 in '09.

I know DE depth was a huge problem last year after Aaron Smith went down, but I'm just not very high on Balmer.  If Albert is gone (which looks to be the case) I would rather us go Groves, Cherilus or a CB, maybe Mike Jenkins if he's still there.

Again though, if we got Balmer in Rd. 2 in a trade-down, I would feel a little better about it, but not a whole lot.

As you mention though, he didn't visit, so I'm not sure why all these mock "experts" think he would be the pick.  Not that no visit means no draft, but there have to be better options for this team.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
TwistedLemon

« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2008 at 10:49 »

DL will be addressed in rounds 3 and 5 (Langford and Dykes)

1st I am hoping for a trade down with Atl...is there really that big of a difference in what we can get at 1.23 vs 2.4?

Acquiring the extra 3 (and possible 4th) round picks could prove quite helpful, for both quantity and quality.

with 2 round 2 picks we could look at OL and DB
2 round 3 could go DL / WR
2 round 4 then is OL / Owen Schmidt (think he complements FWP well)
DL in round 5

lose the round 6 pick as part of the trade......or if by some chance we kept it BPA

"My reality check bounced"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: