Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 16, 2014 at 00:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 [22] 23 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official 2008 Draft Thread  (Read 14366 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #210 on: Apr 27, 2008 at 21:13 »

Loved day 1.  Loved it.

Davis?  With Avril and Wheeler on the board?  Well, maybe a round or two early IMO.

Hills is fucking crippled.  He'll be stacking cups for Penso next year.

Dixon's a fine luxury pick, but that assumes you've gotten your fucking OL and DL shit in order.

Humpal?  Mundy?  Were we sleeping?

Day two blew, just blew.  Hope they rock in FA.

I think we got three guys when we needed 6 or 7 sure things.

NO DL.

NO OL, not crippled.

NO KR.  I mean, WTMF?  Guys were there and we just blew them off.  Moore is PR, not so much KR, we NEEDED a KR, JFHS.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #211 on: Apr 27, 2008 at 22:16 »

Do you think they're counting on Jeremy Bloom?  Or maybe Willie Reid to come around next year?

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #212 on: Apr 27, 2008 at 22:17 »

Dixon has to be for that "ATH" or "slash" role.  Right?  

I mean, it'll be nice that he can back up as QB.  And Batch isn't getting any younger.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #213 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 07:23 »

Do you think they're counting on Jeremy Bloom?  Or maybe Willie Reid to come around next year?
They got Dorien Bryant from Purdue.  He was on a KR short list for me, glad we got him UDFA.  Has a real shot at making the team if he can avoid the Reid/Coot curse.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #214 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 07:25 »

Dixon has to be for that "ATH" or "slash" role.  Right?  

I mean, it'll be nice that he can back up as QB.  And Batch isn't getting any younger.
Dixon and Zabransky will duke it out for the coveted Brian St. Pea Hair spot.  Dixon's more versatile, but Zabransky's had a year of NFL experience.  We'll see.  I liked Dixon a lot and actually kinda hoped we'd look at him around R5, so he may bring some interesting skills.  Of course, the caveat is that I liked Omar Jacobs in much the same role...

vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #215 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 07:31 »

Dixon has to be for that "ATH" or "slash" role.  Right? 

I mean, it'll be nice that he can back up as QB.  And Batch isn't getting any younger.
Dixon and Zabransky will duke it out for the coveted Brian St. Pea Hair spot.  Dixon's more versatile, but Zabransky's had a year of NFL experience.  We'll see.  I liked Dixon a lot and actually kinda hoped we'd look at him around R5, so he may bring some interesting skills.  Of course, the caveat is that I liked Omar Jacobs in much the same role...
I just cannot get past the Dixon pick. Why, in round 5, do you take a guy who had a great 9 game stretch and busted a knee? I can accept Dixon as a late R6 or R7 pick, but I just think R5 was too soon, especially with the other QBs who were available (not to mention Owen Schmitt)....and healthy. And with the problems on the OL, I think drafting Dixon was just a bad pick. I wish the kid well, and hope he can develop into a QB that in 3 years the Steelers can get a high draft pick for him in a trade. Just don't see it happening.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2008 at 07:32 by vinman3 » Logged

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #216 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 07:48 »

Dixon has boom or bust potential, for sure.  He certainly carried the Ducks to an undefeated record that exploded with his knee.  Was a serious Heisman contender.  Great stats.  If he's more than the product of the system, could be a solid developmental 2.  Great athleticism.  I don't think he's Akili Smith, which has come up.  Without the ACL, the kid's likely a R2 guy in the convo with Flacco, Brohm, and Henne.

We took some shots on gimps, for sure.

KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #217 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 08:28 »

The Steelers went into this draft short a selection in one round.  It appears that they thought it was their 3rd round choice that was missing, rather than their 7th.  Every guy taken on Day 2 appeared to go a round or so too soon.  I thought the team did an excellent job on Day 1 picking the low-hanging fruit, and harvesting quality players that fell to them.  It looks like they returned to norm on D2, & locked onto a couple guys, regardless of who else might still be there.  I'm hoping to be proven wrong, but I thought the back-end guys looked like just that,... guys.

[VENT]  One of the networks was interviewing Mike Tomlin afterward, and questioned the lack of O-Line choices.  Tomlin said that there were two schools of thought to "protecting" your QB; you could build a better line, or you could get him more weapons.  I actually heard the vein in my temple burst.  Did the Pats lose the Super Bowl because Brady didn't have enough "weapons", or did they lose it because Brady had Giants stuck in his face-mask all night?  Ask Carson Palmer how Plan B works.  Ask Marc Bulger, Matt Shaub, Jake Delhomme, The late Mike Vick, or any QB ever coached by Mike Martz how it feels to have a revolving door between you and the defensive line.  The weapons only work if the QB is on his feet long enough to use them.[/VENT]

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #218 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 08:42 »

Did the Pats lose the Super Bowl because Brady didn't have enough "weapons", or did they lose it because Brady had Giants stuck in his face-mask all night?  Ask Carson Palmer how Plan B works.
Amen, brother....Amen.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #219 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 08:46 »

I'm feeling slightly less agitated today than yesterday, but my primary objection still stands.  If you go BPA in areas of relatively low immediate need in R1 and R2, then the rest of the draft MUST pursue need areas.  We came away with zero DL guys (cf. the D struggles when A. Smith got hurt), and one hobbled OT (nothing needs said).

So, Mendenhall and Sweed, wonderful.

Davis, IMO a round early, but with Avril and Wheeler following close behind, two things: perhaps the FO knew this was where another run on OLBs was about to go off, and they must have liked Davis more than others.  His workout numbers don't stack, but he's productive, looks like a good weakside fit here, and could be a solid pickup.  I'm better with Davis today.

Hills, I read that Zierlein was the ONLY OL coach working out Hills at his pro day.  I sure think he would have lasted.  At least past 4, maybe later.  His injuries really, really concern me, especially when comments keep emerging about whether he will ever play again.  They seem satisfied medically, and he did anchor LT for UT.  If healthy, could be a serious LT prospect.  Will have a year to get healthy, as Marvel plays out his deal.  We'll hope that observations about "his leg goes dead" or "he can't get any push into his blocking due to the leg," which were PRE-break comments, all get cleared up.  Maybe we can get him a prosthetic.

Dixon, I liked him if we were already set in the trenches.  As it is, I think we could have found some better needs-based value.  He's a real roll of the dice, but could be a boom.  Like WR and RB, not a pressing need, but everything becomes a need sooner or later.  With that OL, who knows when we'll need a solid #3.

Humpal and Mundy I don't know enough about, except that WVU fans think Mundy wasn't very good and won't make the cut in the bigs.  Was a lot of solid talent we could have pursued at that point, including some decent KR.  IMO, the last two picks were kind of crap, but we'll see.  Kriewaldt II and Carter II?

Pages: 1 ... 21 [22] 23 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: