Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 22, 2014 at 05:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 [24]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official 2008 Draft Thread  (Read 15489 times)
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #230 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 16:29 »

The thing I liked about Davis is he was very, VERY productive in college. I always thought Zo was a zero in college (and the combine) and was only picked because Cowher "Liked the twinkle in his eye" or something like that.  

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #231 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 17:45 »

The thing I liked about Davis is he was very, VERY productive in college. I always thought Zo was a zero in college (and the combine) and was only picked because Cowher "Liked the twinkle in his eye" or something like that.
Agreed.  My point of comparison is UCLA DE Dave Ball, likewise productive (30.5 career sacks), projected round 2-3, went in 5, has bounced from the Bolts to the Titans, not much showing in the bigs.  Two inches taller and about 20# heavier coming out may have hurt, rather than helped.  Ball is stuck as an undersized motor guy, DE in a 4-3, where he'll likely stay.  Ball was a 5.07 speed type end, whereas Davis ran 4.78 at Indy.  Smaller, faster.

BTW, Davis is second to Ball on the UCLA sacks list (29.0), and his 42.5 tackles for a loss are close behind Ball's 43.5.  Carnell Lake had 45.5 to hold that Bruins stat record.

Ball was never gonna have the 3-4 OLB mobility, though.  

Let's compare another guy.  Came out as a DE.  6'2" 266#, ran a 2.74.  25 sacks but 50.5 TFL.  That would be Davis's bookend at OLB, Lamarr Woodley.  Bigger, same timed speed, but Davis looks to play faster.  Good weak side fit to Wood's SS.  

James Harrison is 6'0" (maybe), 242#.  Might run 4.7~ish, or might be higher.  Great motor.  Davis, another motor guy, 6'3", 252#, and could add some easily.  

In a way, it's not like Davis would be the speed to Wood's power, it's more like he's a slightly trimmer, zippier version, but still pretty big.  Bigger than Harrison.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #232 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 17:47 »

Re: DL, wasn't Dallas shopping Marcus Spears in February?  Certainly better than Kirschke and Eason.  

Maybe a 4th rounder?
They could use another WR and didn't draft one.  TO, Crayton... Terry Glenn?  

Nate for Spears straight up?  OK, I'd let them talk me into throwing in a sixth rounder too.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #233 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 17:56 »

I just looked in an old Steelers Media Guide and Zo had 23 sacks and 33 TFL at FSU, so he was a little better than I thought. But, most of that came in his final season at FSU...Davis' last two years were both excellent in terms of production, so he had a slightly better track record from year-to-year.

Zo was also measured in at well over 260, closer to 270.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #234 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 23:50 »

I hate the day after the draft.   All the analysis and excitement gone into three more months of nothingness.  Cant wait to see what rookie FA gets cut first.  Bring it on.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #235 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 23:52 »

The sooner they cut Colbert, the better, IMHO.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #236 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 11:19 »

The sooner they cut Colbert, the better, IMHO.
It appears that Colbert subscribed to the HarryAway dartboard method for making picks on Day Two.

It's the only possible explanation for overlooking the obvious need at TE.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #237 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 12:30 »

It's the only possible explanation for overlooking the obvious need at TE.
But at least he addressed it with UDFA Dezzzz Sherrod, AJ.  That's better than worryin' about nonconsequential spots like OL, DE, & NT depth.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Pages: 1 ... 23 [24]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: