Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 15:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Annual Steelers Draft Analysis  (Read 3216 times)
steelers4lyfe333

« on: Apr 27, 2008 at 20:29 »

Well after reading basically every written analysis of all of our draft picks I thought i should wrap it all up for everyone...

1. Rashard Mendenhall- RB-Illinois... I no RB wasnt a need.. but I loved chosing the best player available at 1.23... Hope he can get his weight up to maybe 230-235.. Runs a solid 4.4 40... has a killer stiff arm.. an underrated spin move.. and amazing cut back skills.. of what i saw he is also a pretty decent of screens and receiving out of the backfield...I am excited to see what he can do for us..Draws comparisons to Michael Turner/New-Age Fred Taylor..

2. Limas Sweed-WR-Texas....At 6'4 running a 4.4 40 he looks like he could be something special.. Kinda worried about the wrist a little bit..Great elevation...Above average blocker..Pretty decent after the catch...Known for dropping a few passes.. Hope we can work that out.. Route running looks really good.. and he adjust to the ball in the air very well..Reminds me more of a Jerry Porter than a Plax.. Very good athlete.. Big upside..

3. Bruce Davis-OLB-UCLA... Listed 6'2 240..This guy looks like a total bad ass..Will be an imediate special team player.. I can see him just blowing up some return men..Will spell James Harrison at ROLB..Mean pass rusher..Good use of hands...Reminds me a little bit of Woodley/Merriman coming out of college...really good motor...Knocks down a decent amount of passes...Worry a little bit about him vs. the run.. But most likely will only be used on straight passing situations...Very local and a trash talker... The more I see of this guy.. the more i like..

4. Tony Hills-T-Texas....6'4 309.. Broke same leg as Willie did... I'm not too concerned about the injury..Needs to add muscle and weight..Has pretty good skill protecting Vince Young/Colt McCoys blind side...Also can play RT and possibly Guard..Very athletic..Works good in space..I like what he can offer...Give this guy a yr or two to grow...Reminds me of a Marcus McNeil of San Diego

5. Dennis Dixon-QB-Oregon..Surprising listed 6'4 205..prob more like 6'2...I think this pick basically removes Zabransky as the 3rd QB..Not only would Dixon be the 3rd qb but i could see him playing a little slot maybe.. I kinda question his receiving skills..but hes raw..Maybe playing in a crazy shotgun package..Throws the long ball better than the short ball..Maybe a return guy??? Super athlete but I'm hoping he wont be too fragile coming back from the ACL injury..I hope he is willing to do whatever it takes to see the field cuz he could be a game changer...His juke moves are crazy..Reminds me of Seneca Wallace/Worse receiving Randle El..

6a. Mike Humpal-ILB-Iowa...Love the style his program plays..Tackling machine..Known for a non stop motor...Listed 6'3 240..Had the speed to cover TE's in college..Definiate replacement of Kriedwalt on special teams..Seems like an good backup ILB in case of injury..A very smart and instictive leader..Worry about his sideline to sideline speed..Not much pass rushing skills..Reminds me of Hunter Hillenmeyer of the Bears..Typical blue collar Steeler LB..

6b. Ryan Mundy-S-WVU...6'1 215..Read he is very intelligent...and was the leader of the WVU secondary...Not a big risk taker..but didn't make many mistakes..Decent hands..Could help on special teams.. Looks to push the return of Ryan Clark and to test Anthony Smith.. Not as gifted athletically as the two..but plays under control..Not being a great tackler..Known for playing deep centerfield in the secondary..Looks like hes a raw Ryan Clark...

I'd rate this draft a B+..Im hoping we pick up some above average Free agents to help the DL/OL
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2008 at 21:10 by steelers4lyfe333 » Logged
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2008 at 22:57 »

Steelers Signed Undrafted Free Agents:

Micah Rucker..6'6 WR from Eastern Illinois

Doug Legursky..6'3 300 C/G from Marshall

Julian Rauch..Punter/Kicker from App State

...Hate to say it..but Dykes was signed by who else...The Cardinals
TwistedLemon

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 07:45 »

My immediate reaction to the draft overall was WTF!!!!!!!

As I examine each player, I do like it.  There is concern about our lack of addressing the need areas of both lines and frankly I was hoping for a CB.

Hopefully the health dept gave the Aok on Hills and Dixon.

The 3 UDFA I saw listed on the other look I like as well....DAMN CARDS pulling Dykes, I thought he fit here.

Anxious to see the remaining UDFA as they become available

"My reality check bounced"
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 07:52 »

I'm no draft guru, but don't we need a couple of stud O-lineman?  Did they sign big Red and just not tell anyone?

I can't believe they drafted Kordell again.  If he really wants to play QB, then I'm sure he isn't too happy being drafted by the Steelers.  Obviously, to me anyway, he is the Kordell/ARE replacement.

I thought surely the top priority was a lineman or two.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 13:54 »

Love the signing of UDFA Dorien Bryant...Dynamic KR..Kinda undersized at WR..But was very productive.. I think he pushes Willie Reid for a roster  spot.. Was projected on some boards as a 3rd/4th rounder....I wouldnt be surprised if he made the team over Baker/Trannon/Reid/Rucker
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 15:20 »

Heres the complete list of Free Agents

Patrick Bailey           LB                   6-4                  235         Duke

Dorien Bryant    WR                  5-9                  175         Purdue

Doug Legursky     C                     6-1                  323         Marshall

Roy Lewis            CB                  5-10                190         Washington

Mike Potts           QB                  6-4                  220         William & Mary

Martavius Prince  DT                   6-2                  282         Southern Miss

Julian Rauch         K                     5-11                207         Appalachian State

Jordan Reffett       DT                   6-4                  292         Washington

Micah Rucker       WR                  6-6                  221         Eastern Illinois

Dezmond Sherrod     TE                   6-2                  250         Mississippi State

Travis Williams         CB                  5-9                  180         East Carolina

Donovan Woods       LB                   6-2                  230         Oklahoma State

steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2008 at 20:43 »

Heres some videos of our undrafted free agents I found

Dorien Bryant-

Doug Legursky-

Roy Lewis-

Mike Potts-

Julian Rauch-

Travis Williams-

Donovan Woods-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WXP3cinMsQ (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Thoughts??

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 11:26 »

Good finds.

Still not happy about most of the Day Two selections though.

IMO, their overall draft grade went from B+ after Day One to C+ after it was all said and done.  Maybe my opinion will change some if guys like Bryant, Woods or (a guy I really like) Legursky make the team and actually contribute.

Hills?  Come-fucking-on...there were better options available.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 12:21 »

Hills is boom or bust.  

If he can get healthy and stay healthy, maybe they got themselves a bargain.  But that's a big "if" what with Hills's dead foot or whatever the fuck they call it.

The Dixon gamble looked fun as part of the mock draft exercise, when we were loading up on linemen early.

The last two guys, they have some qualities, but I still think they're basically UDFAs we wanted dibs on.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 12:29 »

I read that Hills was a projected 2nd round T before the injury...I just have a good feeling about the kid.. He has overcome alot of injuries in the past...Plus he has a good look on his situation...He stated somewhere that he is glad Pittsburgh looked at the whole body of his college work and not just freaking out about the injury..Looks like he is playing the "lack of respect card" because teams didnt give him a fair look

Im with you AJ... i love the Legursky pick up...With his strength/size/agility I believe he could replace Mahans role as a G/Backup C and could push Kemo to become even better..

I hope people are excited to see Dorien Bryant in the black and gold this training camp and preseason... IMO he has the inside edge on the KR skills..His competition would be Bloom/Reid/ and maybe Moore... Bryant could push for the 5th WR spot behind Hines, Holmes, Nate, and Sweed..He was a legit #1 receiver and could stretch the field..This could be the end of the Baker/Reid experiment
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: