Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 01, 2014 at 02:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Timmons a Bust  (Read 2073 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: May 05, 2008 at 12:07 »

Timmons challenges Foote

Competition began on the field this weekend at inside linebacker, where 2007 first-round draft pick Lawrence Timmons is trying to wrest the starting job away from Larry Foote, who has held it the past four seasons.

"That potentially could be intense because Lawrence has put himself in position to compete," Tomlin said.

"It's been a good weekend for him, it's the difference between night and day between what he showed us this weekend and what he showed us last year. The pedigree is still there, we're excited about what he brings to the table.

"He's a talented guy capable of doing a lot of things. He's a big guy, he has great quick-twitch, he's powerful. He's going to be able to do some things for us in coverage, he's going to be able to do some things for us in terms of applying pressure on the quarterback. But his deeds on the field are going to kind of sketch out his role. ... The potential is impressive but he has to do the work."

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008 at 12:20 »

quick-twitch

What is that?  And why is it suddenly the catch-phrase for describing players?

In non-football-related commentary, as a soon-to-be middle-aged man, the term "quick-twitch" kind of scares me.  Seems to have profoundly negative implications.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008 at 12:45 »

quick-twitch

In non-football-related commentary, as a soon-to-be middle-aged man, the term "quick-twitch" kind of scares me.  Seems to have profoundly negative implications.
I believe it has to do with some facial tic that throws off opposing players.  Look, dude's twitchin' out...

What I find interesting is that "quick-twitch" is one of those words that used to modify another word (like "reflexes"), but now the former adjective is a noun, as if "reflexes" were implied.  He's a big guy, he has great quick-twitch, he's powerful.  Tomlin tends to have words or phrases that subsume bulkier versions.  First it was "chunks" for "chunks of yardage," now it's "quick-twitch."

leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008 at 17:41 »

quick-twitch

I believe it has to do with some facial tic that throws off opposing players.  Look, dude's twitchin' out...

What I find interesting is that "quick-twitch" is one of those words that used to modify another word (like "reflexes"), but now the former adjective is a noun, as if "reflexes" were implied.  He's a big guy, he has great quick-twitch, he's powerful.  Tomlin tends to have words or phrases that subsume bulkier versions.  First it was "chunks" for "chunks of yardage," now it's "quick-twitch."
Using "chunks" to describe yardage is much preferable to using "chunks" to describe actual chunks.

Eeeeewwww.  :puke:  

I'm still the one with the boobs.
JerseySteeler

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008 at 18:47 »

quick-twitch

Human skeletal muscle is either fast twitch or slow twitch.

Fast twitch is further sub-divided into two groups.  Basically it's your quick burst type of movements.

And this being the NFL it can't just be fast.  It's gotta be quick  :ph43r:  
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008 at 19:01 »

Read a item that Timmons was covering a WR downfield (Holmes?), and showed excellent speed.  I think that's going to be a huge asset.

Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008 at 20:19 »

Timmons covered a lot of times in the dime defense in the second half of the year.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
PittsburghPA
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008 at 21:57 »

quick-twitch

Using "chunks" to describe yardage is much preferable to using "chunks" to describe actual chunks.

Eeeeewwww.  :puke:
Leigh just blew some chunks. :unsure:

:doubleentendre:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008 at 21:57 by PittsburghPA » Logged

Q: What's the difference between "hard" and "light"?
A: You can sleep with a light on.
TwistedLemon

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008 at 10:12 »

So this morning on my way to work I donated to USA Today for the football preseason edition paper.

In reading through the Steeler section, I see where it talks about Woodley potentially starting at OLB.......but makes NO MENTION of Timmons as either a starter OR backup on the depth chart.

Also of note................. .............Had us listed as Preseason Power Ranking of 11 and earning a Wild Card spot with the clowns winning the North.  

Noted question marks about the O-Line.

Had RB Depth as being FWP, the rook (for goal line situaitons), and M Moore as 3rd down back.

Questioned the secondary (specifically both Safety spots.....will Clark be healthy, how bad does Smith really suck, Mundy having a shot, and Polomalu's health / injury history)

only skimmed the page, but this is what I caught........

"My reality check bounced"
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008 at 10:45 »

I don't think the Clowns will move forward this season. I think, with the schedule, and expectations, they fold like a cheap suit. QB controversy by the middle of the season. Of course the Steelers have virtually the same schedule. I see 9-7 winning the division. with no wild card coming out of it.

Timmons will get on the field more this season, but will most likely supplant Farrior in 2009. No reason why Woodley shouldn't be the starter in 2008. I think, based on what you wrote, the article is fair about the safety situation. Could be a problem. Mundy will be good, but it is tough for a rook to be successful at FS, especially as active as Troy is, it takes a lot of discipline. As Smith displayed last season.....Not very well. I think though Smith will improve this season.

The OL, well, those concerns have been well documented by all of us. I suppose we are going to have to hope the coaches know what they are doing. SINGING Hartwig will be a big boost at the center spot, IMO. That itself may be more of a galvanizing force for a good line...Hope so.

In the end, I think the Steelers win the AFC North @ 9-7. IF they go 11-5 or better, with that schedule, then legitimate Super Bowl contenders they will be.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: