Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 23:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marvel's Back  (Read 573 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: May 05, 2008 at 12:09 »

More, from the "everything is rosy but of course it's just May" file.

Back surgery rejuvenates Steelers' Marvel Smith
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, May 5, 2008

Buzz up!

Marvel Smith may have been the happiest Steeler at mini-camp, and not because the practices got him out of lugging home the gifts his wife received Saturday at a baby shower in California.
"Just to be back here playing football, I couldn't wait," the Steelers' left tackle and soon-to-be-father said. "Even my wife was talking about how I couldn't wait."

It's easy to see why.

Smith is free of the pain that tested his unusually high threshold and prematurely ended his 2007 season. And he talked of the surgery that relieved pressure a loose piece of a disc had put on a nerve in his back almost as if it were a liberating experience.

That is how much pain he played through last season.
"While I was (in the hospital), I woke up and felt better right away," Smith said of the December procedure.

The Steelers, in turn, had to feel better.

Smith has the important job of protecting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's blind side, and the ninth-year veteran has established himself as one of the better left tackles in the NFL.

Last year showed that he may also be among the toughest.

Smith started 12 games for the Steelers even though the nerve problem in his back caused his lower right leg to go numb during games.

"I'd come up to the line of scrimmage and I couldn't feel my foot sometimes," Smith said. "I couldn't tell if my foot was planted in the ground some of the time."

The light mood he exhibited during mini-camp, which concluded Sunday, provided some insight into what Smith had to play through last season.

Not that his teammates or coaches ever knew. Smith, who played with ankle sprains during the 2006 season, never complained about it.

"That's just the type of guy he is," added Max Starks, who started four games in place of Smith last season. "He's a fierce competitor, and he's not going to let anything stand in his way of him trying to help his team as much as possible."

The 6-foot-5 Smith expects to be a bigger help to his team.

He has lost 20 pounds, and he plans on playing at around 310 pounds this season (he was listed at 321 pounds for the 2007 season). Meanwhile, the surgical procedure restored some of the strength Smith didn't have last season, particularly in his right foot.

"I feel great, really," said the 30-year-old Smith, who is entering the final year of his contract. "I feel lighter, quicker, faster, all of that stuff."

He also feels younger, at least as a football player.

And when asked if he thinks he still has plenty of good years left in him, Smith said, "No doubt about it."

I'd feel dandy, too, if I were in a contract year...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008 at 14:34 »

i can understand where he's comin from though. when my back pain disappeared after surgery....man, it was like i'd gone to heaven! can't do anything well with a bad back! here's to hopin he regains his form!

Go Steelers
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008 at 14:44 »

"Left tackle Marvel Smith arrived at camp today.  'He looks leaner; he's got an extra bounce to his step,' Tomlin was quoted as saying.  From the way he dragged himself out of his CLS 500 to the way he slung his duffle bag over his shoulder, without question, Marvel looks to be in the best shape of his NFL career."

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008 at 15:21 »

"Left tackle Marvel Smith arrived at camp today.  'He looks leaner; he's got an extra bounce to his step,' Tomlin was quoted as saying.  From the way he dragged himself out of his CLS 500 to the way he slung his duffle bag over his shoulder, without question, Marvel looks to be in the best shape of his NFL career."
That explains why he's been hanging out with Joey Chestnut...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008 at 20:01 »

i can understand where he's comin from though. when my back pain disappeared after surgery....man, it was like i'd gone to heaven! can't do anything well with a bad back! here's to hopin he regains his form!

Honestly, it's hard to imagine trying to play football with severe back pain.  Every movement is brutal.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: