Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 29, 2014 at 02:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wherre do you guys stand on this one?  (Read 878 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« on: May 16, 2008 at 16:06 »

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandfiel...tory?id=3398915

This is a really tricky situation  I completely understand the desire to compete at the highest level.  And we're all for the people who life deals a bad hand and respond, instead of feeling sorry for themselves, by basically giving life the finger and achieve great things.  But at what point will these disabilities become a competitive advantage?  As noted in another article referenced on that page, sooner or later (maybe sooner) technology will produce prosthetics that work better than the human body parts they are supposed to replace.  

Initially I was simply thinking about whether or not the prosthetics gave a mechanical advantage.  I didn't even consider the very real issue that fake body parts don't use oxygen; they don't become fatigued, and they don't cramp up. Therefore, in any type of endurance race, prosthetic legs could provide a huge advantage.  

And where do you draw the line between helping an injured athlete perform at his usual level and replacing something that doesn't work right?  We have no problem with someone spraining an ankle, getting it taped up and possibly even injected to dull the pain, and going back into the game.  It seems like there's a huge gap between that and a prosthesis, but I'm sure there are examples that make the line much thinner.

Just wondering what feelings are on this subject.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008 at 17:13 »

Just 5 minutes ago some kid rang my doorbell asking for a cash donation for his HS track team. I was so giddy that he wasn't trying to sell me some bullshit magazine subscriptions, oil changes, etc. I quickly handed over some cash.

Then we briefly discussed this dude.

I read one article where it said that some of these robo-athletes took the liberty to add a few inches to their original height (via their new legs), to get a little longer stride.

I don't think there's anyway to calibrate the prosthetic to perform only as well as the original body part.

Stumpy will be cheatin' thru technology, and one of his competitors will undoubtedly attempt to hide his 'shoes'.
VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008 at 00:51 »

This should only be allowed if the other racers are permitted to manufacture, and use, go-go gadget spring shoes.  

Equal playing field.

Seriously though, stumps get ultra fatigued, all the shock is absorbed in an area that isn't built for that kind of stress.  His shelf life will be pretty short for that kind of competition...Unless he's BFF with Bonds.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008 at 00:52 by VanWilder » Logged

and when the gas runs out, just wreck it, you've insured the thing.  -Soul Coughing
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: