Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 18:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penguins vs Red Wings: Stanley Cup Finals  (Read 9402 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: May 19, 2008 at 22:16 »

Penguins head to Detroit for Stanley Cup final
Monday, May 19, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins will open the Stanley Cup final Saturday night at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.

Game 2 will be there Monday before the series shifts to Mellon Arena for Games 3 and 4 on May 28 and May 31.

Game 5, if necessary, will be in Detroit June 2, with Game 6 at Mellon Arena June 4 and Game 7 at Joe Louis June 7.

Detroit clinched the Western Conference title -- and a berth opposite the Penguins in the Cup final -- with a 4-1 victory in Dallas Monday night.

The starting time for all games is listed as 8 p.m., although that is the starting time of the television broadcasts, not the time of the opening faceoff.

Versus will televise the first two games and NBC will carry the balance of the series.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08140/883221-100.stm
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008 at 22:30 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008 at 22:27 »

IMO, the youth/young legs and the mixture of some veterans who have playoff experience will prevail over the Red Wings.  Obviously it's not going to be easy, but I see us pulling it off in seven games.  Yes, we are going to drop games in this series.  I'm just giving a heads up to those smart 'fans' in this city who feel the main objective during the playoffs is to sweep every series.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008 at 22:35 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008 at 23:38 »

Yes, we are going to drop games in this series.
by my expert calculations I see the pens dropping 3 games this series...all in detroit.  this is going to 7 games, the Pens are unbeatable in the igloo and will remain so against the wings.  that 7th game will hopefully put Hockey back into the living rooms of the US once again.  not that it was a huge fixture pre-lockout to begin with, but hey one can dream.

the team defense of the wings is unbelievable, tape to tape passing on what seems every single rush is going to be tough to defend.  IF the pens manage to win even one game at the Joe prior to game 7, then this could be over in 6.  dropping 2 in row to the Stars showed detroit can get rattled.  

Both teams have 4 strong lines, but i give the edge to the pens for the 3rd and 4th lines that will be the key to the winning it all.  Jordan Staal will be the difference maker.  that guy can do it all and he showed that he is capable of taking over a game as well.  he will get at least one shorthanded tally

this is the kind of series that is taylored made for one Gary Roberts.  eventhough its highly unlikely that he will return, if he does he will be a treat to watch in the corners banging some melons.

dump n chase boys, dump n chase.  getting across the blue line will be tough as hell, but the pens have enough team speed to do so.  lets get more than 17 shots on ozzy.  that dude definitley needs some pucks across his chin

my call...pens in 7 with Dupuis netting the game winner from a sick feed from Sid in double OT

cya at the parade folkes

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008 at 23:42 »

Yes, we are going to drop games in this series.  I'm just giving a heads up to those smart 'fans' in this city who feel the main objective during the playoffs is to sweep every series.
Jesus Christ, let it go.  Whether or not these so-called "bandwagon fans" exist anywhere outside of your own imagination, you should have realized by now that no one one else has a problem with this issue.  None of us here are bandwagoneers so stop bitching about it to us and a write a letter to Shelly Anderson or something.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008 at 23:46 »

by my expert calculations I see the pens dropping 3 games this series...all in detroit.
I disagree with you, splatter.  Detroit is good enough to take one outta three here, so we're going to have to win twice in Deroit.

My objective self says Wings in six.  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008 at 00:37 »

Jesus Christ, let it go.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008 at 00:46 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008 at 00:48 »

I disagree with you, splatter.  Detroit is good enough to take one outta three here, so we're going to have to win twice in Deroit.

My objective self says Wings in six.
yes Detroit is very capable of winning one out 3 in the burgh, but i dont see it happening really.  The pens are freakin awesome on home ice with the lone exception being game 5 against the Rags.  sure that could come crumbling down ina heartbeat with a 6 goal outburst by the wings in game #3.  But the homer in me just cant see it happening

my objective self would say if the Pens have to win 2 games in detroit inorder to bring home the hardware, well im not very optomistic with their chances.  thats a mighty tall order against this team.

50% of the time im 100% correct.  so what does that put our odds at?  and from the useless but highly irrelevant catagory,  the pens have never lost a Stanley Cup finals series ever.  the time between this cup finals and the last one they won is the same exact span between super bowl XXX and XL.  Miss Lippy's car is green!

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008 at 01:29 »

And for those who actually live in this city to expect the sky is falling comments in the media and the local sports call-in shows when we happen to drop a few games.
The point is that there are better things to talk about than whatever issues you have with talk radio.  Stop burdening discussions of the Pens with it here, and the problem will go away.  I'm not the only poster who's noticed it.

And for those who actually live in this city

Those who actually complain about people who actually live in the city, you mean?

Buy, hey thanks for the advice buddy.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008 at 01:29 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008 at 01:50 »

LOL, I apologize for bringing up the fact that this series will go seven games and for those in the media and some fans who are expecting the Penguins to sweep every series will be let down.  I figured that since I read a number of posts on here dealing with idiotic remarks from the fans and media hacks in Ottawa, Philly and NYC, that I would add some of the idiocy that tends to come out of Pittsburgh after losing one game in a series.  

Shove it up your ass.

Wow....very classy and mature.  You take care now buddy, lol.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008 at 02:43 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008 at 02:55 »

Stanley Cup finals breakdown: Red Wings vs. Penguins
By Scott Burnside
ESPN.com
Updated: May 20, 2008, 2:52 AM ET

There is often debate about which Stanley Cup matchup might be best for the greater good of the NHL: big market, small market, Canada, West Coast, East Coast.

There's no right answer (just wrong ones, more often than not), but no matter how you cut it, the 2008 Stanley Cup finals have all the makings of a classic matchup between some of the most skilled players in the game.

The Detroit Red Wings are trying to win their fourth Stanley Cup since 1997. They are led by captain Nicklas Lidstrom, who will make his case as the greatest defenseman of all time before he's done. The Pittsburgh Penguins, meanwhile, are led by the finest 1-2 punch in the NHL in Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Pittsburgh is in the finals for the first time since 1992, when now-owner Mario Lemieux was leading the club to the second of back-to-back Cup wins. The Red Wings and Pens are the only teams to successfully defend a Cup championship since that year (Detroit won in 1997 and 1998).

While the Red Wings wobbled a bit in the first round (versus Nashville) and the West finals (Dallas), the Penguins will hit the finals boasting a 12-2 postseason record, just slightly more impressive than the Wings' 12-4 record.

1. Asked and answered. You'd think folks would be talking about a goaltending duel. After all, Detroit's Chris Osgood had the top goals-against average (1.65) and third-best save percentage (.927) heading into a sensational outing Monday versus the Stars and Pittsburgh's Marc-Andre Fleury had a 1.70 GAA and .938 save percentage after three rounds.

Yet both netminders are still struggling for respect and you can bet many will be asking if one, or both, will fold under the pressure of being in the finals. It says here goaltending will be a factor, but only in a good way. Osgood has been here before, winning as a backup to Mike Vernon in 1997 and as a starter in 1998. He's been stellar in relief of Dominik Hasek, who went sideways in Game 3 of the opening round against Nashville. Osgood, now 10-2, hasn't faced a ton of shots (fewer than 22 a night on average), but he's been good when needed (witness his 15-save performance in the third period of Monday's Game 6).

Fleury represents the more impressive of the two, given this is just his second playoff experience. You can count on one hand the number of questionable goals Fleury has allowed this postseason. When the team has needed timely saves, he has provided them as he did early in Sunday's 6-0 series-clinching victory over Philadelphia. He has shown nothing approaching nerves, although he will face a much more talented offensive team than he has seen in the first three rounds. Still, the Pens should hit the finals with a slight edge between the pipes.

2. Wither "The Mule?" Both of these teams are loaded when it comes to offense, but if there is a chink in the Wings' armor, it is their scoring balance up front. Since goal machine Johan Franzen went down with concussion-like symptoms after the Wings' second-round sweep of Colorado, Detroit has struggled at times to produce offense (the Wings scored two or fewer goals three times in six games versus the Stars). Franzen still leads all players with 12 goals and five game-winners. Without him, the pressure on the Wings' top line of Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk and Tomas Holmstrom is significant. Shut them down, as the Stars did in the middle of the West finals, and the door will be open for the Penguins, whose offensive depth is so impressive. If Franzen comes back (he hasn't been cleared to practice, according to reports out of Detroit), the offensive table will be quickly leveled.

3. Pick your poison. We haven't seen a team boast this much world-class talent down the middle since maybe Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg were in their prime in Colorado. Start with Crosby, who centers the Pens' "1A" line. Then go to Malkin, who centers line "1B." The Wings will have their hands full regardless of how good their defense is (and it's plenty good). Crosby and Malkin have combined for 40 points in 14 postseason games, and Crosby will hit the finals tied with Zetterberg for the playoffs scoring lead. Almost lost in the shuffle is Pittsburgh third-line center Jordan Staal, who had a terrific series against Philadelphia (four goals). Although his grandfather passed away in the middle of the East finals, Staal is playing like a man possessed at age 19. All three spend considerable time on the power play, which ranks second in postseason efficiency. The challenge for Detroit coach Mike Babcock will be in getting out the defensive matchup he wants against either Crosby or Malkin. Watch for Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski to play against Crosby and Niklas Kronwall and Brad Stuart against Malkin.

4. The thin blue line. Talking about the Penguins' blue line has almost become urban legend. At the start of the playoffs, the Penguins' blueliners were supposed to be their Achilles' heel (that, and Fleury) and their team defense was thought to be suspect. But the stats suggest the opposite: Pittsburgh has allowed an NHL-best 1.86 goals against per game. The Penguins have also consistently built leads and defended them with sound play from the goal on out. That said, the Wings will try to put as much pressure as possible on the Penguins' D. Hal Gill has enjoyed a strong playoffs and was especially effective in the second round in shutting down Jaromir Jagr. But he is still Hal Gill, and if the Wings can pressure him into overhandling the puck, that's a bad thing for the Penguins. Ryan Whitney and Kris Letang are a talented young defensive duo, but lack experience. Watch for the top duo of Sergei Gonchar and Brooks Orpik to draw the assignment of trying to shut down the Wings' big line.

5. The Big Bang theory. One of the ways to beat a team like the Penguins is to keep the puck away from them, and the Red Wings are one of the best puck-possession teams in the NHL. Another way is to knock the Pens off the puck. Philadelphia tried with limited success, as did the New York Rangers. Detroit does boast one element that will be new to the Penguins in these playoffs, and that's a big-time open-ice hitter like Kronwall. The talented Swede, who is enjoying his first injury-free playoffs for the Wings, has been a difference-maker at both ends of the ice. He leads all playoff defenders with 12 points, one more than Gonchar. But he also has the potential to deliver devastating hits and punish opposing forwards in the Detroit zone. If he can make life interesting for players like Malkin, who likes to weave in and out of traffic moving through the neutral zone, that will be a bonus for the Wings.

Pages: [1] 2 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: