Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Mar 03, 2015 at 22:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trade Deadline  (Read 9445 times)
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Yesterday at 13:38 »

Daniel Winnik and Ian Cole added. Zach Sill and Robert Bortuzzo dealt.

I like the Winnik move. I think Cole is a bit of a project, but has way more upside than Bortuzzo. Bortuzzo's size was nice last year in the Columbus series when the Pens were getting pushed around by a team with less talent, but he can't skate against teams with skill.

Interesting stat regarding Bortuzzo:
Pens: 62 GP
Bortuzzo: 38 GP
Pens regulation losses: 17
Regulation losses in Bortuzzo's 38 GP: 17

Rutherford said he wanted to add another forward and defenseman, and that's what he did. I have a feeling he's done for the day.

Is anyone excited about this team this year? 

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 14:21 »

I get the feeling the entire fanbase is in wait-and-see-in-the-playoffs mode.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 14:22 »

Despres for Lovejoy?  WTF?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 14:25 »

Despres for Lovejoy?  WTF?

I honestly thought this was a joke.  Really like some of what Rutherford has done but how the hell do you trade a 1st round pick with Despres pedigree (who was just getting a chance to play major minutes this season) for Ben fucking Lovejoy.  Ben Lovejoy, who the Penguins traded for a 5th round pick 2 years ago.  Ben Lovejoy who is 6 years older than Despres. 
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 14:27 »

I get the feeling the entire fanbase is in wait-and-see-in-the-playoffs mode.

Yeah I hate to sound like a spoiled fan, but I am pretty much numb to the regular season at this point.  Still watch 90% of the games, but I really don't care about beating Calgary in October anymore.
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 15:30 »

I actually think the Despres trade makes perfect sense. With Matta, Pouliot, Dumoulin, and even Harrington in the mix, Despres kinda became expendable. Especially after adding Cole today. Cole is essentially another Despres. Former 1st round pick who people are high that just hasn't put it all together yet.

Ben Lovejoy had a solid year last for Anaheim. He logged quality minutes in the postseason too. I think he's a serviceable guy who is far from a liability on the ice. He's definitely an upgrade over Bortuzzo in my opinion.

Also, I'm kinda over Despres. I've never seen a 6-4 215 pound defensemen pushed around more than Simon Despres.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 16:30 »

Despres has really showed improvement this year through, when he actually got to play.  Don't think he's looked soft this year and he has much more upside than Lovejoy.  I guess it's water under the bridge at this point.

I do like what Rutherford has done otherwise.  Getting Downey, Comeau, Greiss this offseason for basically nothing, getting Perron (who is under contract next season) for a pick, getting Winnik, a guy who a lot of teams coveted, for a pick.  All things being equal, I'd rather have Hornquist than Neal as well.  

Someone lit a fire under Letang's ass too, best he's looked in his entire career.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 18:37 »

Man I was really hoping Despres was gonna turn into an elite offensive d-man with us, though.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 18:44 »

Man I was really hoping Despres was gonna turn into an elite offensive d-man with us, though.

He's flashed it for sure. And at 23, he's quite a few years from when most defenseman put it all together. This one might hurt down the road, especially with Martin and Erhoff both UFAs after the season. 
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Today at 00:34 »

He's flashed it for sure. And at 23, he's quite a few years from when most defenseman put it all together. This one might hurt down the road, especially with Martin and Erhoff both UFAs after the season. 

Gotta onder if Erhoff's health issues will bring his price down a bit.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: