Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 21, 2014 at 06:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penguins vs Red Wings: Stanley Cup Finals  (Read 9024 times)
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008 at 22:44 »

from the same detroit rag...
Their biggest asset besides skill is they can take pucks off other teams in areas where it can really make a difference. Mike's developed them into very good penalty-killers, and that's why they've become better all-around players."

Sid and malkin have a combined 23 take aways, with Sid leading the way with 15.  Datsyk and Ztterberg combine for 34.  With 2 games more played than the Pens, you would think that the "dynamic Duo" of the wings would have a little more than just 11 extra takeaways.  And i kind of think Datz/Zett's takeaways have more to do with teams unable to get past their blue liners more so than their tireless work ethic.  makes it kind of easy pickins

and yes it was on the PK that Malkin had his million MPH SHG.

they are both fine 2-way players fo sho, but not head and shoulders above Sid/Malkin IMO.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2008 at 21:48 »

Fuck this shit.  The Wings are really good, but they're making us look like a minor league team.

The D played so well in the EC Playoffs, but they've disappeared in the finals.

Malkin and Hossa have been really quiet and Staal has played horribly.

I was hoping we'd win both at home, but now I'm just hoping that we score a fucking goal at home.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2008 at 09:42 »

Well, Detroit won two at home, now we have to do the same.  While it's not an ideal situation, it's definately not over.  I'm waiting to see how we respond at home.  

At the same time, we are definately not playing Penguins hockey.  Where to begin?  The basics.  It's really no secret what we are doing wrong.  It doesn't take a hockey coach or Versus "hockey expert" to point it out.  Sloppy passing, not putting the puck on net nearly enough.  Sloppy breakouts.  Our physical play is not there.  Ruutu, Laraque (before Therrien decided to bench him, interesting), Orpik, Malone and Talbot are not throwing the weight around.  It would also be nice to see Orpik play like Kronwell and maybe level a guy from time to time?

The most disturbing thing I have heard since this series has started up has to be Malkin telling the national media that he's "tired".  Here's some breaking news for Malkin....join the club.  Your not the only one on that roster who is tired at this point in the season.  Is he tired? I'm sure he is, but you don't tell it to the national media in the middle of the Stanley Cup finals.  You just don't do that.  I love Malkin, but I'm not exactly sure where the guy is at mentally at this point in time.  Obviously he doesn't speak English, so it's kind of hard to read his personality/attitude, but his recent comments are not good.

Oh well, just win game three and go from there.  We win game three, I see no reason why we can't win game four.

Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2008 at 12:18 »

I have to disagree with the Orpik assessment. From my view, he's the only Penguin dishing out any hits. I agree that the rest of the team needs to start hitting back and throwing more shots at Osgood. He's just not that good. He was Detroits backup coming into the playoffs for cryin' out loud.

The Malkin-Sykora-Talbot line failed to impress so I'd like to see Staal replace Talbot on the second unit. Staal put together two solid games against the Wings. Maybe that can rub off onto Makin and Sykora. I'd also like to reshuffle the D pairings  as well. What we have now just ain't working. Gonchar-Scuderi, Gill-Letang and Whitney-Orpik. Mix up the offensive and defensive guys.

I'm not sure if Therien has the answers but I'm still hopeful. He just need to stop crying about obstruction and do something to circumvent it. He's starting to sound like the Senators and Flyers.

C'mon PENS, let's get one and go from there!

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Joetorious

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2008 at 12:33 »

C'mon PENS, let's get one and go from there!
One game would be great, but at this point, I would settle for one fucking goal.  

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2008 at 05:44 »

One game would be great, but at this point, I would settle for one fucking goal.
Ask and you shall receive three goals and one game.  

Great win though.  Malkin showed a pulse last night.  He didn't produce, but he at least showed some sign of life.  Sid was a man on a mission as was Gary Roberts.  Basically the whole team brought it tonight in the physical play department and I thought that was huge.  Every time Detroit touched the puck we had a body there throwing a check.  I thought Orpik finally started throwing his body around like he should every night.  It's one thing to rough a guy up, it's another thing to lay out hits and rough up guys every time they touch the puck.  Being known as our most physical D-dman, he showed it last night for three straight periods.  It was refreshing to see.  

Most of all, the team as a whole brought the intensity.  I think the combination of physical play and intensity for three straight periods definately helped break up Detroit's tape to tape passing and helped us win the battles near the boards.  Looking over your shoulder every time you touch the puck in fear of either Orpik or Roberts coming over in order to decapitate you tends to throw you off your game a little bit.

Finally, it was nice to see the Pens prove to some that the Red Wings are human and are in fact beatable.  One win at home, now use that momentum and take the second one.  One game at a time.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008 at 06:00 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2008 at 06:29 »

I thought Orpik finally started throwing his body around like he should every night.  It's one thing to rough a guy up, it's another thing to lay out hits and rough up guys every time they touch the puck.  Being known as our most physical D-dman, he showed it last night for three straight periods.  It was refreshing to see.
Man, I don't know what you're talking about. Even before last night, Orpik led both teams in hits for the first 2 games. What more do you want? Every hit can't be bone jarring and teeth rattling. The guy getting hit has a tendency to try and move out of the way every now and then.

Great win all the way around. Even the crowd brought their "A" game. Sid is a beast! His first goal just blew the roof off the joint.

Let's keep up the intensity. Game 4 is ours!  

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2008 at 06:46 »

Man, I don't know what you're talking about. Even before last night, Orpik led both teams in hits for the first 2 games. What more do you want? Every hit can't be bone jarring and teeth rattling. The guy getting hit has a tendency to try and move out of the way every now and then.

I'm not expecting "every" hit to be "bone jarring and teeth rattling", but it would be nice to see him lay out a guy from time to time.  He did that last night while also playing a very physical game.  I'm giving him props, much like how I gave Kronwell props for laying out a different Penguin in the first two games.  Orpik and company responded last night by doing the same and it was very refreshing to see.  That's all I'm saying.  I'm not nor was I ever bashing the guy or singling him out (as I recall, I stated the team as a whole lacked physical play), but it's just nice to see a Red Wing layed out from time to time instead of a Penguin.  It was becoming a little tiresome and frustrating to watch in the first two games.

Hopefully the team as whole (not just Orpik) can keep up that same intensity and physical play for three more games.  They are going to need it if they want to hang with that team and I see no reason why they can't keep it up and grab another one at home and hopefully bring the momentum to Detroit and grab one up there.
BleedGreen710

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2008 at 08:33 »

Kronwall can suck my weiner.  Fucker leaves his feet on every hit.  I think Karma is gonna come back to haunt him.  This coming from a guy that wished death on Sean Avery, and then found out (originally) they found him in cardiac arrest.  

I have special powers.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
BleedGreen710

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008 at 08:38 »

But seriously, I was at the game.  I've been to a lot of Steeler games, and I don't know if the intensity could ever be matched compared to the game last night.  Don't get me wrong.  A big Steeler game isn't far off, but holy crap.  Last night was tense.  The crowd was amazing.  What a huge win.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: