Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 29, 2014 at 02:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penguins vs Red Wings: Stanley Cup Finals  (Read 8592 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #70 on: Jun 04, 2008 at 16:21 »

Stayed up to watch it to the end, I was dragging today at work.
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2008 at 16:34 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #71 on: Jun 04, 2008 at 16:22 »

What time does the puck drop tonight?
8:00, but judging that we are dealing with the wind-bags on national tv, it will be more like around 8:20-8:25.
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2008 at 16:23 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #72 on: Jun 04, 2008 at 16:43 »

Perfect, that is 6:00-6:30 mountain time.  I'll be home by six, and make the kids play outside until about 8:30.  As long as the wife works kind of late, like usual, I'll be in decent shape.

I don't miss living in the Eastern time zone.  The 8:00 and 9:00 start times for sporting events are brutal.  When I was early 20's I would turn off the Steeler games at half time if they were playing on Monday night.  

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #73 on: Jun 04, 2008 at 17:14 »

I don't miss living in the Eastern time zone.
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2008 at 17:18 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #74 on: Jun 04, 2008 at 19:12 »

Good luck to all the Pens fans out there.  That building is rocking.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #75 on: Jun 04, 2008 at 21:44 »

Fleury must feel like ass about now.  They lost that by the seat of their pants.

And they damn near scored with 0.00012359 secs on the clock.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #76 on: Jun 04, 2008 at 21:57 »

Great season boys!

Now let's start working on getting back here next year!

The PENS Rock!

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #77 on: Jun 04, 2008 at 22:44 »

Great season all around.

It's a tough ass loss that I don't really want to talk about.

Granted I don't have nearly as much invested as some of the diehard fans around here (Pletch, 'splat, the Captain, et al) but the big picture result is much easier to swallow when you contrast with feelings ~~16 mos ago. When the team had the shittiest building in the league, a patchwork lineup, Edzo at the helm, and fans just beginning to grow tired of crossing their fingers for the lottery and getting excited about ping pong balls. Hell. In the same offseason Dickie Tarnstrom accepted a trophy as leading scorer and Mike Lange, HOF announcer, was demoted for "Steigy".  

But now things seem so much better. Detroit played wonderfully, Babcock was brilliant to my untrained eye, and Lindstrom's the best D I have ever seen. Full marks to them.

However those three goals were abject luck tonight. I don't give a hell about the SOG totals. The first was cleverly thrown wide by Rafalski, low and outside, and only went in because of a deflection off of a skate. 2nd goal was crap that MAF should've saved. The third was the most heartbreaking. Most lucky as well. Zetterberg, who threw about a million shots on goal, finally got his like 4th point of the finals on a lucky little trickle to totally fuck my man Sidney Crosby up out the Conn Smythe.

I thought it was supposed to go to the best player. Dude was on one leg AND played with Dupuis and still led the NHL in scoring. If I'm Bettman, F being nice, I say there's only one vote that matters and Sidney Crosby is the best player in our sport and everyone knows it...so come out to your hometown fans and pick up this trophy.

Should be a totally new team next season. Minus Malone, Hossa, Orpik, Roberts, DUPUIS THANK FN GOD, and probably Eaton. I'm sure I'm forgetting people but whatever. You've gotta have faith, given their recent track record, that Shero/Fitzgerald/Fletcher can assemble enough talent in front of Fluery to play either side of Sid, Geno Malkin, Staal, and Talbot to contend forever.

Big Hall Gill is big.

The crowd tonight was lame. I'm sorry and maybe I was jealous or something but all I heard all night was "Lets go Pens clap clap clap" after the Wings would get a goal. Participate. I know the tried and true season holders were probably representing but the rich nerd bandwagoners were straight fail.

No more Edge Shave Gel commercials.

Roberts took a high sticking in the early 3rd. It was the first time I've seen him called on it and I received four texts about my shock that he never seems to take them despite carelessly switching directions with his stick way up over his shoulder. Nice timing.

Dupuis is the Ike for me. He stinks, yo. He's fast but everytime the puck touches his stick, rest assured, it'll soon be on the stick of a Red Wing and never that of Osgood's.

Olczyk took the cup to the Belmont and let a horse eat oats of it? Somewhat lame.

If I see one more damn view from the incline during a Pittsburgh game I'll be sick. I've lived in the 'Burgh for nearly 20 years and have been on that thing like uh twice?

Game 5 remains a classic as hell classic. We lost the series but big deal. Those octopi-hurling fucks were chanting "We Want the Cup" and we tie it. Steal it. They go home losers. If I had gone with many of my friends who did make the trip up to the Joe I'd have found a live NBC microphone and dropped a Palko "I'm so proud of this hockey team..."

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #78 on: Jun 04, 2008 at 23:25 »

dont really care to harp any negatives about the series and tonights game, so i guess i'll just rap about some positives.

#1.  Fleury - so he let in a few softies against the wings, but overall considering the barrage of rubber he saw, i thought he stood tall throughout.  we finally have a playoff proven net minder.  He has been a question mark in my mind from the beginning and he has erased all doubts with his play this year.  needs to work on his puck handling skills a tad more behind the net in the off season and he'll be straight up ballin.

#2.  Malone - i've hated this dude from the getgo.  just because he was from the burgh and I thought he absolutley sucked.  he was a 4th rounder for a reason and i dont care who his daddy was and that he played for the pens.  he was lazy, had no skills, shitty tats, and an overall doofus mentality.  I didnt even care for him this season up until the playoffs.  just thought he benefited from playing along side a world class player in Malkin.  i did a complete 180 with the guy the last 2 months...he was gutsy as they came this playoffs.  anyone coming back onto the ice 15 minutes after having his already broken nose shattered again is blood and guts in my book.  fucker didnt take shit from anyone and kicked ass and took names.  didnt turn the puck over very much and was very sound 2-way player.  I think the pens would be crazy to re-sign the dude, but he had a memorable SCF.

#3 Orpik - sure hes goofy looking, has meat hooks for hands, and looks as if he is in constant face droop from a stroke.  but lead the league in hits, threw his gangly frame into god knows how many pucks.  stood his ground and cant remember him losing his cool once and taking a stupid penalty.

#4 Sid - best in the world.  i agree he should be given the Conn regardless of the outcome.  Zetterberg did nothing special to earn the right to be the MVP.  but whatever.  sure sid made crazy passes through traffic and tried too hard to do things by himself in the finals, but the kid is it.  has the best hockey vision i have ever seen, even better than #66 IMO.  Sid could turn a turd into a 30 goal scorer.  showed up consistently in the finals, even when he was held scoreless in games 1,2.

#5 - my douche bag brother-in-law - this idiot went to the game on saturday, sat behind the glass exactly behind the pens end, acted like a tool on national TV, plunked down $400 beans to watch them lose.  I begged him not to go tonights game just because he went and they lost.  well he goes and plunks down another $250 beans to sit up in E section.  im pissed he singlehandedly gave the cup to the detroit red wings, superstitiously of course.  But im taking great satisfaction knowing he gave away $650 in a 5 day span where as I spent maybe $50 on smokes and beer.  so heres to you, mr. i better get in on the fun and show my support even when i have no idea what the game of hockey is, guy!  :)

Pens in 2009. so let it be written, so let it be done.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #79 on: Jun 04, 2008 at 23:37 »

on more thing.  I was happy to se the pens not cave when down 2 goals to none.  showed they were into it until the very end.  Nashville, colorado, and a lesser extent, dallas, all gave up in their deciding games against detroit IMO

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: