Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 20, 2014 at 17:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penguins vs Red Wings: Stanley Cup Finals  (Read 8660 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #80 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 10:13 »

I could barely bring myself to watch any of the last three games.  I mean, seriously, my heart can't take it!!!

I love football almost as much as I love my own kids, but I don't know if there is anything more exciting than the Stanley Cup, when you have something personally invested in the series.  Either your team is playing, or you have some other reason to pull for/against another team.

Every time a puck bounces near the goal, you nearly have a stroke.  Every goal is so critical, and every bounce of the puck can be your salvation or your doom.  It is unbelievable stuff, and America is missing out by not watching.  

I'm still checking my pulse from the last puck that bounced in front of Osgood last night in the last minute.  I saw it on SportsCenter again this morning, and it still gave me heart palpatations.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #81 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 11:38 »

Either your team is playing, or you have some other reason to pull for/against another team.

Red Wings = The Evil Empire

When the Red Wings are playing, I have no problem rooting against them.  Back in the 1990's when the Wings and Avalanche were literally duking it out on the ice, I became an eternal Wing hater.  Those were some fantastic regular season and playoff series.

I do credit the Wings becasue everyone see's them as a huge rival which means that many teams have a great respect for the players and the program.  They have also remained incredibly competitive over the last 15 or 16 years.

When Scotty Bowman was the Detroit coach, one year when they were playing in Colorado, someone sitting behind the bench (and near Bowman) kept holding up a characature like picture of Bowman.  The picture was of Mr. Spacely from the Jetsons, and they look exactly alike.  One of the funniest fan interactions I have ever seen.

Couldn't find good comparison pictures, and also can't paste them in.  Guess I'm technically challenged.

http://www.firebettman.com/graphics/bowman_72117.jpg

http://www.cybercomm.nl/~ivo/photo_SPACELY4.JPEG

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #82 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 11:59 »

Red Wings = The Evil Empire

Yeah, with the exception of the Braves, I pretty much hate any team that faces off vs. the Steelers in a championship, especially if they win.

I hate the Cowboys, Chargers, Broncos, Patriots, and Seahawks pretty much eternally.  

I also hate the Canadiens, Panthers, and now the Red Wings.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #83 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 17:37 »

I have to give Detroit credit.  After years of simply 'buying' Stanley Cups, all they had to do over these last few years in the NHL cap-era is decide which Stanley Cup veterans with experience they wanted to keep and who they wanted to dump and go from there.  Good job.  Nice to see Murder City, USA have something to cheer about.

Anyways,  I truly tip my hat to the Pittsburgh Penguins organization.  I do not recall many in our city talking Stanley Cup finals back in October.  It's pretty amazing that they made it this far considering the injuries they took this year and the fact that this team's main core is still very young.  While it is a cliche, it rings true...what hurts you can only make you stronger.  The experience the young guns gained in this playoff run is priceless and will only help in future cup runs.  They now know what to truly expect when they go the distance.

Now unfortunately, I have to deal with Pirates baseball until taking the yearly trip up to the Holy Land....Latrobe.  It can't come soon enough.
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2008 at 17:53 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #84 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 22:18 »

Joce, I couldn't disagree with you more about Dupuis. Dude has done nothing other than skate hard at both ends of the ice since the day we got him, and scored more than a few timely goals.  Okay, he's no Warren Young, but that's not to say he doesn't merit a place in the regular 25.

I'm not so sure they won't pay Orpik.  I'd offer 4 years at about 3.5-4 per, if he don't take it, fuck him.  Go lose with the Rangers (the NY press loves him).  Malkin gets what he wants, and if Malone doesn't give a hometown discount, fuck him too.

Sounds harsh, but I can say what I want since I'm a fan and paid my hard earned dollars for my replica Naslund.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #85 on: Jun 06, 2008 at 06:18 »

Should be a totally new team next season. Minus Malone, Hossa, Orpik, Roberts, DUPUIS THANK FN GOD, and probably Eaton. I'm sure I'm forgetting people but whatever. You've gotta have faith, given their recent track record, that Shero/Fitzgerald/Fletcher can assemble enough talent in front of Fluery to play either side of Sid, Geno Malkin, Staal, and Talbot to contend forever.

Big Hall Gill is big.

The crowd tonight was lame. I'm sorry and maybe I was jealous or something but all I heard all night was "Lets go Pens clap clap clap" after the Wings would get a goal. Participate. I know the tried and true season holders were probably representing but the rich nerd bandwagoners were straight fail.

Yeah, they are going to take some roster hits next season.  That's price you pay for having a cap in the league.  I'm definately not complaining.  It's better than watching NY, Philly, Detroit and Colorado simply buy up all the talent and it's better than it resembling that joke of a league that we call MLB.

As for the players you named...

I've said it before, I believe both Malone and Orpik are gone.  Losing Malone wouldn't be as bad if we are able to sign Hossa (which I'm still holding out hope) and losing Orpik wouldn't be as bad if we actually had another physical defensive d-man to fill his place.  Unfortunately we are lacking that at the NHL level and in WBS/Scranton.

In my opinion, I think there is a good chance Roberts will retire after this season.  Between the injuries he took this season and his recent comments, I believe Scary Gary will hang them up.  IF Roberts does decide to retire, I would love to see him take over for Andre Savard.  Rumor is Savard is looking strongly at the Florida HC job.

Personally, I felt Dupuis was a welcoming addition.  The way I look at it, he brought more to the table than Christensen and Armstrong ever did.  His PK abilities alone is reason enough to resign him.  He hustles non-stop.  Throws out hits when he get's the chance and chips in a goal from time to time.  Obviously with every player on this roster, it depends on his asking price when it comes to resigning him.

When it comes to Eaton, from my understanding his injury is not career ending.  We should be able to sign him cheap.  He's  pretty damn solid when he is healthy and is the closest thing we have to a Orpik-type defensive defenseman on this roster.

As for the others....  

Conklin: Conklin is gone and I can't say that I blame him.  I'm guessing he will attempt to test the FA waters and could possibly land a starting job.  If not, I'm sure there will be another organization out there who is willing to overpay for his services as a #2 (Thibault and Buffalo).

Laraque: If Laraque doesn't take a cut, I would say bye-bye.  Second year in a row the guy was benched during a cup run and went AWOL when the team needed a physical presence.  Yes, he fights.  Yes, he's intimidating.  No, he doesn't play a physical game outside of fighting.  It's not worth the money.  Particulary when that money becomes a healthy scratch on more than one occasion per year.

Hall: Another one that should come cheap.  I'm not crazy about the guy, but he is one of Shero's past players.

Fleury (RFA): It's automatically a given on what should be done with this guy.  Last night I heard he would be willing to take less money for a longer contract.  Get it done.

Ruutu:  The guy has stated on a number of occasions about how he loves this city.  He sort of went AWOL in the finals (last game being exception).  He's another one who I feel has some type of injury simply because the guy was a non-stop wrecking ball for the majority of the playoffs and the regular season.  Nevermind the fact that it seems like the guy nets a goal when it's needed most.  

Other FA's/UFA's that we should be able to sign cheap IF we decide to do so...

Connor James, Ryan Lannon,  Alain Nasreddine, Nathan Smith, Jeff Taffe,  Mark Ardelan, Paul Bissonnette, Tim Brent, Patrick Ehelechner, Daniel Fernholm, Jonathan Filewich, Joe Jensen, Ryan Stone and Kris Beech.  Now, I'm sure a few will be gone from that list *coughs Kris Beech*.

As for the fans....watch it...lol.  

Anyways, I'm with you and I can only speak for myself and my buddies who were also at the game, but my voice is shot.  Extra mentholated Halls have been my friend for the last day and a half.  I'm sorry though, if playoff hockey doesn't get you pumped up as a fan while you are at the game, I'm not exactly sure what will.  Stay at home for Christ sake.  We went down by only two goals and all we could muster up was a weak "Let's Go Pens" chant while a good number simply sat mute.  It was pretty sad.  I guess that's the price you pay considering....

Oh well, should be interesting to watch Shero wheel and deal.  He's done a pretty damn good job up to this point.  Work your magic!
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2008 at 17:14 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #86 on: Jun 06, 2008 at 17:02 »

I don't live in the burgh area, and maybe it's been discussed there...but I was disappointed with Ruutu in the Finals.  Lots of talk about Malkin disappearing but I was really disappointed with Ruutu in the Finals.

Sure, he didn't pick up many (if any) of the stupid penalties that he did during the season and the first series or two of the playoffs.  

But for most of the Finals, it was difficult for me to determine whether he was playing or not.  Few hits from him.  

What happened?

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #87 on: Jun 06, 2008 at 17:19 »

I don't live in the burgh area, and maybe it's been discussed there...but I was disappointed with Ruutu in the Finals.  Lots of talk about Malkin disappearing but I was really disappointed with Ruutu in the Finals.

Sure, he didn't pick up many (if any) of the stupid penalties that he did during the season and the first series or two of the playoffs. 

But for most of the Finals, it was difficult for me to determine whether he was playing or not.  Few hits from him. 

What happened?
Yeah, I discussed Ruutu going "AWOL" in the post directly above yours.  I can only make two assumptions when it comes to Ruutu's play (or lack of) in the finals....

1) Maybe he's injured.  Orpik stated the other day on Sports Beats that there are plenty of guys in that room that are injured that you don't hear about.  Maybe Ruutu is one of them?

2) Therrien made it very clear to him that he wants him to stay out of the box.  With Ruutu's reputation, if he looks at a guy wrong he get's called for 2 minutes, whether he deserves it or not.
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2008 at 17:20 by PghSteel-43 » Logged
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #88 on: Jun 07, 2008 at 09:36 »

I don't live in the burgh area, and maybe it's been discussed there...but I was disappointed with Ruutu in the Finals.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« Reply #89 on: Jun 07, 2008 at 11:23 »

Speaking of post-season signings and Marian Hossa Y2Joyce....

Pens' Hossa emphasizing Cup over cash
By Kevin Gorman
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, June 7, 2008

Marian Hossa said for the first time Friday that he will entertain the idea of taking less money to play for a Stanley Cup contender, and believes the Penguins fit the bill as a great team.

The high-scoring right wing figures to command a top salary when he becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1.

"If I wanted to make a couple more dollars, I would probably just re-sign with Atlanta," said Hossa, whose 12 goals and 26 points in the playoffs were exactly what the Penguins were seeking when they acquired him from the Thrashers on Feb. 26. "But I'm glad Pittsburgh got me here. This was a fun journey for myself, and a great experience. I hope I can stick with a great team like this. ...

"There's always a limit, but I'd rather take a little less and play on a good team, definitely."

Penguins general manager Ray Shero did not speak to the media yesterday, when players cleared out their lockers at Mellon Arena. But captain Sidney Crosby made it clear that he does not want to enter next season the way he did this one -- without a high-scoring winger to make best use of his talent as a set-up man.

Crosby, whose five-year, $43.5-million extension begins this fall, said yesterday that he is willing to drop his tag as the team's highest-paid player in order to keep his right-hand man in Hossa.

"I want to play with him," Crosby said. "He's a great player. I hope it works out that he's able to stay. He's a great person. He works hard. I enjoy playing with him. As we played together more and got used to each other, things started to happen, and it was a lot of fun out there. It would be a lot of fun to keep playing with someone like that. I hope it works out."

Hossa reciprocated the affinity for playing alongside Crosby -- he scored 10 points in 12 regular-season games and, counting the playoffs, finished with 36 points in 32 games with the Penguins -- but put the onus on Shero to keep them on the same line.

"Sid is an incredible player and even better person," Hossa said. "But there's lot of players to be signed. We'll see what's going to happen. I'm sure Ray's going to do everything he can to keep everybody together."

At 29, Hossa is in position to secure a long-term deal with a substantial raise on his $7 million salary of this past season.

Crosby said he would neither meddle with management about whom to keep and how much to pay nor persuade his teammates to give the Penguins a hometown discount the way he did last July.

"That was my choice," Crosby said. "Every guy works hard to earn a certain amount of money. I'd never put pressure on them to do that because that's solely up to them. They work too hard to do that. That's a personal thing.

"Hopefully, we can keep everyone. If not, you wish the guy good luck and move on. That's probably the hardest part, knowing that there's not going to be the same guys here."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_571463.html

Pages: 1 ... 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: