Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 18:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matt Ryans deal  (Read 1533 times)
VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« on: May 21, 2008 at 00:36 »

Wow, this rookie spending is outta control.  Somethings gotta be done with a new CBA.  No one's gonna want a 1st rd draft pick if this keeps up.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08142/883439-66.stm

NFL Notebook: QB Ryan agrees to deal with Falcons
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
The Associated Press
Matt Ryan signed a $72 million, six-year contract with the Atlanta Falcons yesterday.
Ryan, the No. 3 overall pick in the draft last month out of Boston College, is guaranteed $34.75 million. His guaranteed money is $4.75 million more than that given to Jake Long, the No. 1 overall choice who also is represented by agent Tom Condon.

Ryan worked behind quarterbacks Chris Redman, the projected starter, and Joey Harrington at his first minicamp with the team this month.

Ryan, 6 feet 5, ranked third in the nation with his school-record 4,507 yards passing in 2007 and was the first quarterback taken in the draft.

Redman, Harrington and the since released Byron Leftwich shared the starting job last season as Michael Vick began serving a 23-month prison sentence after he confessed to bankrolling a dogfighting ring. Vick has been suspended indefinitely by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008 at 00:37 by VanWilder » Logged

and when the gas runs out, just wreck it, you've insured the thing.  -Soul Coughing
VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008 at 00:40 »

What's Ben contract look like in comparison?

eight-year contract, $102 million, including $36 million guaranteed.

....compared to a rook.  Ryan's not worried about gas prices anytime soon.

and when the gas runs out, just wreck it, you've insured the thing.  -Soul Coughing
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008 at 01:39 »

As much as it pains me to say, seeing the terms of that contract, I agree with the owners for opting out of the CBA.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008 at 08:12 »

And what about the extension that one-game-starting Barber got in Dallas?  You think FWP ain't eying that contract then looking over his shoulder at Mendenhall?

Barber, a restricted free agent, received a $45 million, seven-year contract that includes $16 million in guaranteed bonuses. It's worth $21 million over the first three years.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008 at 09:33 »

As much as it pains me to say, seeing the terms of that contract, I agree with the owners for opting out of the CBA.
Guaranteed that these kinds of rookie deals played a big part in their decision.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008 at 09:50 »

I agree, that is pure stupidity to guarentee that kind of coin to guys who have never played a down.  Ryan could be the next Big Ben; but he could also be the next Ken OBrien, Ryan Leaf, JP Losman, et al.

As for FWP, I think that everyone has to take any Dallas contract with a grain of salt.  They are a monumentally stupid organization with an owner who thinks he can just buy his way out of anything.  Willie's agent better remind him that this ain't Dallas.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008 at 10:01 »

FWP did SING a VERY Steeler friendly deal.

The Matt Ryan deal is just obnoxious.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008 at 10:44 »

Think about this from the Falcons management perspective.  You have had everything imaginable go wrong with your franchise for two years running.  You are playing to fewer and fewer people, you gotta make some kind of statement to your fanbase.  

It's like if your girl finds out you've cheated; you better get ready to open your wallet for a new dress and an expensive dinner if you hope she doesn't walk.  Come to think of it, you can extend that analogy to the Pats and their fans too.  They also caught their franchise cheating. Oddly, they not only didn't get made, they rolled over and took it and asked for more.  They are the Debbie Clemenses of the football world.

It's still a bad deal for the team, just trying to see the logic.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008 at 11:22 »

I just hope Joe Flacco is the new Kyle Bowler.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008 at 21:23 »

Sounds like even the players understand is no good for the game.  

Whether Upshaw understands or not is another matter.  He has no interest nearer or dearer than proving he isn't the owners' lackey, regardless of the wishes of his constituency.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008 at 07:17 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: