Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 23, 2014 at 20:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mike Tranghese to Retire  (Read 1673 times)
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« on: Jun 05, 2008 at 09:50 »

Big East commissioner Tranghese to announce retirement today
He'll step down at the end of the 2008-2009 season
By Mark Blaudschun
Globe Staff / June 5, 2008

Saying it was simply time to do something else, Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese will announce his retirement later today, ending a reign of 19 years in which Tranghese guided development of the Big East basketball conference into a 16-team super league and oversaw the creation of the Big East football conference into a competitive 8-team league, which took a full body blow five years ago when three of its members -- Boston College, Miami and Virginia Tech -- jumped to the Atlantic Coast Conference, but has still managed to survive, if not thrive.
more stories like this

The official announcement that Tranghese will retire next June will come later today, but Tranghese said that he felt the timing was right for him to spend one more year to make things were in order before he stepped down at the end of the 2008-2009 athletic season.

"It was just the right time for me,'' said Tranghese, who has been with the Big East since it was created in 1979 as a seven-team basketball league. "The league has never been stronger in basketball. Everyone seems happy.''

Tranghese said he decided on a year-long lag time before he steps away because he wanted to give Big East officials time to find a replacement to guide the conference into the next decade.

It will not be an easy job since the Big East is essentially two different leagues in basketball with different schools and different agendas, which, at times, have clashed.

Tranghese said that he didn't think there would be an immediate move to break the league into two conferences, with the football schools breaking off from the predominantly Catholic basketball schools.

"Right now everything is working fairly well,'' said Tranghese, who says he still wants to work, but at a different pace. "In football, there doesn't seem to be any movement towards a ninth school and everyone is happy with the level of basketball. We've never been stronger.''

As for Tranghese, who guided the Big East football league through the turmoil of losing three schools and replacing them with South Florida, Louisville and Cincinnati, a move that solidified the Big East's claim to maintain its claim to one of the automatic six Bowl Championship bids awarded each year, it was simply time to move to a different challenge. "I want to work,'' he repeated. "Maybe I will teach. I don't know. I'll find something.''

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 09:53 »

Amazing that he thinks that the league will stay together without a ninth football member. Maybe not, since he has always been focused on the basketball side of things.

If it's any consolation, Vinman, the ACC's raid on Big East football is only partially working.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 10:03 »

If it's any consolation, Vinman, the ACC's raid on Big East football is only partially working.
That is a huge consolation. I think it is karma, and is a bitch as far as the ACC is concerned. I give MT credit for steering the Big East through that, but his lack of vision on the football side caused the raid in the first place.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 22:47 »

Yeah, mixed feelings on Tranghese. He's responsible for having to watch 5 skinny white dudes run the floor playing scrappy defense and hustling and diving for loose balls, hitting the occasional 3, and whatever gets dickie v. over his neck polyps or whatever he had, and still can't get out of the Big East tourney quarters.  AKA Notre Dame hoops.
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2008 at 22:51 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2008 at 02:43 »

He's responsible for having to watch 5 skinny white dudes run the floor playing scrappy defense and hustling and diving for loose balls, hitting the occasional 3, and whatever gets dickie v. over his neck polyps or whatever he had, and still can't get out of the Big East tourney quarters. AKA Notre Dame hoops.

Oh sorr-ie. Sorry. We were looking for "West Virginia Hoops".  

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2008 at 16:56 »

He's responsible for having to watch 5 skinny white dudes run the floor playing scrappy defense and hustling and diving for loose balls, hitting the occasional 3, and whatever gets dickie v. over his neck polyps or whatever he had, and still can't get out of the Big East tourney quarters. AKA Notre Dame hoops.

Oh sorr-ie. Sorry. We were looking for "West Virginia Hoops".
*seanconneryvoice*

Trebeck, you mountebank!

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: