Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 20, 2014 at 09:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer Projects/other  (Read 1342 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« on: Jun 05, 2008 at 11:55 »

I have a picket fence that is 6 years old that I have never stained.  Fortunately it is relatively dry here, but is it still all grey and nasty looking.  I powerwashed a small deck (I hate wood decks) and 150 - 200 feet of fencing.  It is just a 4.5 foot fence but it is capped, which means there is a 1X4 running across the top of the pickets so I get to powerwash that too.  Did that last weekend, along with the deck, and have some more fencing near the front of the house that still needs to be done.  Should finish that this weekend, then I can start staining.  I also get to restain my kids' play set.  Last time I used this really good stain that holds up well in the intense sun, but it has to be brushed on.  I'm using something I can spray on the fence but I'm using a brush on the deck and the play set.  That should only take about the rest of the summer!!!!  This stain also holds up better when applied not in direct sunlight.  At least that gets me out of doing it in the heat of the day, if we ever actually get summer here, but it draws out the process.  I'm glad my main patio is cement!!!!!

Riding my bike on weekends, and we are only going to have about 3 camping trips this summer, which really blows, due to gas and kids getting bigger and having more things to dfo than just hang out with us.  I have been a regular golfer for years, but haven't touched a club in 10 months now and don't miss it a bit.

I have spent a couple of afternoons, and about 6 trips to the store jacking around with my sprinkler system.  Haven't re-aimed the heads since they were installed and decided to reduce the over spray.  Also found a couple of roots strangling my drip line, had to move another head, and still have an area where some water collects.  Still need to get that figured out.

Going to Ohio for a week in June, and we were supposed to take a family trip to Vegas late summer or fall, but it looks like Mrs. BV will be too busy at work, so that prolly won't happen.  That Ohio thing is visiting family, so it is time away from work, but not a true vacation.  We did go to Mexico for spring break, which is good since Vegas won't work out.  I can take the kids to Vegas, but need one of you guys to go so I have a baby sitter.  Any takers?

That's all I know.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 12:31 »

Ah, projects.

I stained about 60 feet of shadow box fence a few weeks back. I don't do too much to the outside, because it can't be seen from the backyard. This side faces the main street, so I thought I'd tidy it up.

Also had to replace the deck anchors for my pool hand rail. Aluminum ones were originally installed, but the salt system pool slowly ate them away. Digging those out of the cement and replacing with bronze ones, took more time and effort than I expected. Also has to be grounded, so I had to drive a grounding rod for each one.

Got the pool open last weekend. Opened it Sunday and was swimming Tuesday night.

The Mrs. wants me to put some sort of hardwood floor in the office. I'm not a carpenter by any stretch and my tool selection is limited. My neighbor had the tools I'd need, so I may tackle that within the next month or two.

Need to fire up my sprinkler system too. The front yard has a slope, so I basically only use it for the front, to keep it from burning too early. Kind of a losing battle in this area, unless you want a huge water bill.

Need to get some golf in one of these days. Haven't played over the winter like I usually do - always wet or raining.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 12:45 »

The weather here this year is unusual.  We have had about 3 days with high temps in the 70's and maybe 6 days in the 80's.  Unfortunately 3 or 4 of them were upper 80's and all other days have been 50's and 60's.  It is freakin June.  I usually complain because we only have two or three weeks of temps in the 70's before it gets hot, and it looks like this year we will be lucky to have a weeks worth of 70's, and they weren't/aren't consecutive.  65-70 degrees here is perfect, so we have had some nice days, but not nearly enough.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2008 at 23:03 »

Otis told me last week, he was a big fan of scraping gutters.

Seriously, here are my goals this summer:

1.  Get the blue bra back.  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2008 at 06:06 »

Well,  have completed the list my wife gave me for the late Spring/Early Summer...Surely there will be another (she sure does love lists).

Powerwash and seal our 16x30 back deck, and do same for front (smaller) deck/porch.
Paint garage doors
Reseed our rusted out broken gate post
Mulch landscaping
Assemle V.J.'s swingset
As well as others.

Been fun so far </sarcasm>

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2008 at 06:29 »

Been off this week doing various stuff, including shopping for a new vehicle for next week's new job.  In between, yardwork, and the western side of the house has been in bad shape in terms of window frames needing old paint scraped, old caulking yanked and re-caulked, and almost all the windows' glazing knifed out and reglazed.  In case you don't have an older house, the individual window panes are held in by this largely unworkable putty that hardens and can be painted.  It has the consistency of the old peanut butter in the bottom of the jar that you say "fuck it" about and toss.  I hate that stuff.  After I got 3/4 of the windows re-glazed, I found a glazing compound that you can put on using a caulking gun.  Not much easier to use, but some improvement.  So I'm up on the ladder, and not real good with heights, crisping up like bacon in the heat.

Other stuff this year:

*Weed, paper and mulch around the eastern fence area where I planted an asparagus bed, strawberries, raspberries, and rhubarb.  
*Put nylon netting over berry plants.
*Build a new composter.
*Clean all gutters; replace gutter guards.
*Weed, paper and mulch other flower beds, as needed.
*Organize garage.
*Build new front stoop.  Old brick one is too small.
*Clean and stain wood picket fence.
*Caulk and paint around kitchen storm door I just installed.
*Throw some extra insulation in attic crawl space.
*Replace old garage door.
*Fix kitchen flooring put down last year.  Some pieces need adhesive.  Also, put down strip to dining room, put new door detail on kitchen-dining room swinging door.

Lots of little shit, nothing too major.  The windows were critical.  Want to get the landscape stuff done soon, because I'm pure shit in July/August heat.  On the plus side, last year's various projects (creating raised beds, carting about a billion tons of good garden soil from one side of the yard to the other, putting down paper and beds around raised ones, laying patio/sitting area where old garden used to be, etc.) is now looking pretty good.  The perennials are rocking, tomatoes are getting big, etc.  Fire the mythical grill, grab some herbs out of the garden to marinate whatever, sit back and feast and drink wine.  Good stuff.

Last Sunday, had the MiL over and threw shrimp, scallops and clams on the grill, had caesar salads, just hanging out.  Later got to sit back with a fat Montecristo and survey the empire, such as it is.  A small plot of land, but it's mine.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2008 at 08:14 »

survey the empire, such as it is. A small plot of land, but it's mine.

That's what I'm talkin about!!!!!

Put up some hooks and chains for these hammock swings for the kids that hang from the small wood deck.  Was hanging out in one of those Sat morning, surveying the empire.  Very nice.  Broke out the daddy hammock on Saturday afternoon, after plenty more powerwashing.  Set that bad boy up on the patio, in the shade, and had a nice little nap.

My list is easy compared to others.

Did the wooden playset assembly at our last house, and after moving into the current place, I bought from a place that perform assembly as part of the purchase.  It was worth every penny.  If it was up to me, we'd have a nice plain inexpensive metal set.  People now-a-days, like my wife, can't expose their children to something horrible like a metal "swing-set".  "Oh my goodness, what will people say about our underpriveleged children?  They'll never get into Harvard being exposed to that painted metal!!!!!!!"  Why I'm gonna . . .

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: