Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 31, 2014 at 02:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cars  (Read 3069 times)
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2008 at 12:25 »

In any event, never ever buy a dealer car with a trade-in.  Lose every time.  Sell privately, and buy without dealer financing, by your own bank's car loan, or if possible using cash.
Ya, that is mostly true. The only benefit from trading in is the tax break. As in if the car your buying is 15K, and your trade is 8K, then you only pay 7K in sales tax. This mostly benefits more expensive cars. Also, if your selling privately, you may not be able to sell it when you want to. Especially now. Sure the trade in price is always lower than FMV, but you can get rid of your car whenever you want to. If your trading in, never tell the dealer that upfront, always get a set price for the car you are buying, then go back and talk about your trade. Salespeople will just try to get you focused on your payment, without really going over how much the new car is, and how much you got for your trade..... But if you can sell privately, you will most likely get more for your car.

Preach, gas ain't getting any cheaper. I would drop the 2000 Ford, as its worth the most, and right on the cusp of depreciating to super low numbers. The gas savings, if you get the Sentra, could be 40 bucks or more a month, depending on how much you drive. I wouldn't worry about the insurance, unless you don't have collision on your cars. If you finance the new one, you have to have collision.

Since I am a serial car buyer, I may not be the best person to get advice from( I am always for buying new cars and actually love the whole process), but I think it would be a good move. If the Sentra is at a Nissan dealer, have them throw in a CPO warranty. If its a private seller, definately have a mechanic check it out, and CARFAX it. It should still have the manufactor's warranty on it, but you want to make sure it hasn't been in an accident, and you want to know the registration history.

Remember, its a buyer's market, and almost everyone is desperate to sell cars right now. Work them hard. Get the price you want. Get multiple dealerships to have a Dutch auction. Use the tried and true Finny walk out technique. Have fun out there and good luck.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jun 09, 2008 at 17:03 »

( I am always for buying new cars and actually love the whole process)
Now there's something I never thought I'd see.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jun 09, 2008 at 17:46 »

There is something 'fun' about buying new wheels.

And 3/4 new vehicles I've bought were manly 4x4s which are kinda fun to drive off the lot.

Now I barely find the time the wash the vehicles. When I was in my early 20s, I'd wash my ride 3-4 a week.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jun 09, 2008 at 21:42 »

( I am always for buying new cars and actually love the whole process)
Now there's something I never thought I'd see.
Ya, I'm afraid I'm a bit freakish with that, but I just love fucking with the salespeople. Also, I'm way into cars and almost always order the car in advance to my exact specs, sometimes without even knowing the price, so its a little different for me. To my wife's great consternation(and conversely her benefit), I usually replace my fleet every 2 years, and have a few others laying about as well. I'm almost ready to replace my daily driver, but the car I want isn't on sale yet, so I will have to wait until it becomes available.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jun 09, 2008 at 23:20 »

It's pretty easy to tell if a ride has been taken care of or not.

you obviously have never heard of the pine tree car freshner???????  the evolution of this thing has gone through some crazy changes over the years.  they actually fashioned it into the form of a tree.  go figgger!  those crazy scientists have made it so it turns a junker into a caddy as soon as you open the package. (which contains 3 btw). more than enough to fool the unsuspecting buyer until the transaction is complete.

buying a car is more painful than a root canal.  never met car salesman that i ever liked in my life.  you either get the scrawny little punk kid who will most likely be terminated after his second month from not meeting his quota.  or the old dude who has been there about as many years you have been alive, hates his life, hates his job, and really has no clue about the car he is selling, and is soo afraid to make any type of deal without meeting with the general manager about 30 gillion times during the negotiation phase type.  Or my ultimate favorite, the superduper, muscle bound, loud talker,  fast talker, fuck you in the ass whenevr possible, the bestest of buddies, type salesman.  either way, your paying more than you should, getting boned on your trade-in, and hating your purchase the moment you drive it off the lot.

but anyway, unload the gas hogs, and get an ecomomy car ASAP.  i've owned a home for some years now and never had the need for a truck.  i dont do any hauling...just dump my junk on the curb and let the trash dudes sift through it.  besides there are always a dozen peeps that i can always borrow their pickups if i ever need to transport some building materials.  and my out of pocket expense....$10 bucks.  you WILL see some savings driving anything other than your gas guzzlers.  especially when gas prices hit the 'Lincoln' mark by fall

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jun 10, 2008 at 07:03 »

Started the new job AND closed on the Tucson yesterday.  Long day, but got the dealer to $18,100.  Not my target, but I think he knew I was getting desperate to close.  And still slightly under what I had budgeted.  Always cool to look at the odometer and see 21.3.

Good news is that the new gig is ~15-20 minutes of straight highway driving, so hopefully take advantage of the decent highway mileage.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jun 10, 2008 at 10:55 »

Good deal, Finny.  Just out of curiosity, I looked at a Tucson, just to see what they were like.  Pretty nice vehicle, IMO, and doesn't Hyundai have some outrageous warranty now?

I had several MCs for 10+ years, but it got to the point that I was paying to maintain it for maybe a week or two worth of use a year so I...*sniff*...sold it. The wife had one too. Same end result.

The truck, I'd keep. IMO, if you own a home, a truck is a very useful vehicle. If you don't own one, you at least need a relative/friend that has one.

Don't you have that new MC that you just won in the raffle too?

Dude, I am running this MC into the ground!  50 mpg, I drive it every single day.  In SC, weather should stay warm and dry enough to keep that up for a while.

Well, I finally called Sat. morning to buy the Sentra.  Title history is clean, it's been well cared-for.  But, of course, they had already sold it.  However, the lady selling said that the buyer "was trying to get his money together" and wouldn't have it until this FRIDAY.  But, he'd put down a deposit.  I told her that I'd bring her a deposit and have her money on Monday, but she wanted to wait on the other guy.  May be her loss, cause if it takes this guy a week to get a car loan then it doesn't bode well, IMO.

Whatever.

I've run the numbers several more times, and there is no doubt that we'll benefit from buying a gas-saver.  Even if we keep all the other vehicles (which is not a given), we can save enough to basically pay for the thing, no problem.  We drive a lot, contrary to Otis' historical perspective.  And by the way, Otis, I'll have you know that I'm not diddling anyone other than the wife--and get some counseling for that Catholic upbringing, it will help!

Another local dealer was even higher still, and I left after they said "we'll be losing $300 on this deal!" Like a care salesman ever loses ANY money on ANY deal.

I hate that stupid-ass line more than any of them that car dealers pull.  That is such a friggin' lie.  My wife worked in the finance office at A & L Motors in Monroeville (where she also met LC Greenwood and JT Thomas).  She heard that "We're losing money on this deal" thing all the time, and said that it's total BS.  They might lose money on the amount they HOPED to make on a car, but she never processed a single deal where they lost a penny.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jun 10, 2008 at 11:16 »

Hyundai's safety and reliability ratings have gone up a good bit since about 2005.  Problems per 1000 only behind Porsche and Lexus.  But of course, it's pretty bare bones for most of the cheaper models, although they are venturing into the luxury field.  So the interior's not as sleek, there aren't as many bells and whistles, but if it runs well and looks OK, I'm cool with that.  Tucosn's like a poor man's Honda CR-V.

Preach, keep checking back with the seller in case the financing falls through.  That happens all the time...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Jun 10, 2008 at 13:21 »

Finny,

Good news! Looks like Gay Wheels gave your vehicle two thumbs up.

Maybe those aren't thumbs.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2008 at 13:21 by otismalibu » Logged
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jun 10, 2008 at 13:59 »

Reading the descriptions and info on that site seems much less intimidating that reading Edmunds or something.  Otis is so hip to the cool sites!!!!!!
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2008 at 14:07 by Big Virgil » Logged

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: