Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 19:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legursky, Lorello, Retkofsky Cut  (Read 420 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jun 29, 2008 at 18:07 »

Along with Dookie.

Not sure we needed to do this for the rookie signings...  The long-snapper cut seems particularly odd.  A little disappointed Legursky and Lorello didn't get a shot.

Question is, what gives?

A FA move?  Openng cap for that?

Or a re-structure?
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2008 at 10:31 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2008 at 18:28 »

One answer is getting the roster down to 80 guys prior to the start of camp.  

Used to be the allowable was around 85 guys at the start of camp.  But with NFLE now defunct, the NFL has taken it down to 80 guys (plus the agreement for international exceptions).  I believe the Steelers have one international exemption (a WR I believe).

What I can't say is why it was Naj.  It was obvious he was the odd-man out with the additions of Mendenhall and Moore.  But wasn't Naj getting some work at FB?  Naj was the best sidecar blocker last season and, while costing more, probably served a better purpose than Carey Davis if Naj could actually lead block.  Davis wasn't great at that last year...maybe he's gotten better a year in.

With apologies to WV fans, I never thought much of Lorello.  Saw speculation on another board that the Steelers really like Mundy.  Hopefully Mundy runs faster than Lorello's 4.8.  I guess if Clark is back at full-strength, safety starters and depth are pretty much locked down.  My guess is Mundy has a tough shot making the team but likely sticks on the PS for 2008.

Legursky was an interesting prospect.  Don't know if I was overselling him when thinking he could be the "Stapleton" of 2008.  I'm not sure Leg was ever rated as highly as Stapleton was prior to the draft.  IMO, the Steelers have a bit of a mess in the middle of the OL, both for starters and backups.  No clearcut good starters at LG or C, though the obvious speculation is that Hartwig will improve center play.  But that speculation is in relation only to Mahan's play last year and not that Hartwig is really a good center.  I'm not sure about Kemoeatu and hope that Colon gets a good shot at LG.  Stapleton was playing guard for much of the OTAs, though Simmons was out and I believe Marvel missed a few days, creating a variety of personnel shifts.  
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2008 at 18:36 by SCacalaki » Logged

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 10:36 »

Lorello's a bubble guy for a couple years now, and some posters who are WVU fans or know the family were naturally rooting for him.  The feel-good UDFA thing, which I completely understand.  It's great to see the light come on and a "nobody" suddenly make it.  But let's face it, he hasn't shown a whole lot, and his best bet was to make the grade in a position where depth was in issue.  Sounds to me like Ryan Clark is back, and Lorello's out.

The IOL glut is well-established: much the same argument for wanting to see Legursky in camp, maybe more practice squad potential, but looks like we're satisfied with what we got.

Retkofsky's been signed and cut now about a dozen times, so whatever.

I forgot about the NFLE exemptions, and don't think we have any at all, so two more to face the ax?  That FB from Florida and the WR Walker, mebbe?  Just guessing.

It's interesting that with three top RBs already here, not that Dookie was cut, but that the team has been vocal about how much they like Russell.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2008 at 13:55 »

Naj was the best sidecar blocker last season

I'm not exactly on board with that.  I thought he was pretty pathetic at times last year, and he got run over a couple of times in the playoff game.  However, if you're saying that comparatively, then you may be right.  I never took much note of Davis' blocking on third down.

the team has been vocal about how much they like Russell.

Trade bait?  Not that we've made a meaningful one in years, but at some point the Bears are going to have to find more RBs.  Chances are they pick up Najeh soon.

The OL soup is looking like a real adventure--throw something else into the pot and see how it comes out.  My only hope is that it only looks very disorganized and unknown, and the team has some clue of what combination might work.  My fear (and I think the reality) is that we don't have any idea how our oline is really shaping up.  We might be 4-4 or worse, with Ben's brain turning to mush and FWP/Mendenhall on IR before we get it all sorted out.  I really, really hope I'm wrong.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: