Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 26, 2014 at 05:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harrisburg  (Read 1276 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« on: Jul 01, 2008 at 09:38 »

There is a position open "where I work" in Harrisburg that is a promotion.  How is Harrisburg other than being closer to Philly and Baltimore than Pittsburgh?  Is it a 2-3 hour drive to Pittsburgh from H-burg?

Wouldn't seriously consider moving but it would be nice to attend Steeler games and be overloaded with Steeler goodness!!!!!!

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 09:49 »

Cycle buddy would be shattered.

:bawling:  
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 09:56 »

How can you possibly be on the internet?  Aren't you and the family floating around the Sea of St Louis?

Yes, Cycle buddy would be sad and bored without working on my bike, cutting my grass when out of town, and burning DVD's for my kids.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 10:36 »

How can you possibly be on the internet? Aren't you and the family floating around the Sea of St Louis?

Higher ground. Good for staying dry and OTA HD.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 11:16 »

It's about 3.5 hours to Pitt, 90 min to Philly, 60 min to Balty.

There are pros and cons.

It's not going to be as scenic as the Rockies, but there are some landscapes around.  The Appalchians are mere hills compared to what you're used to, though.

Pros

*Cost of living.  You're going to find houses and land are a lot cheaper.  
*Urban/suburban/rural.   OK, Harrisburg itself isn't all that urban, but you're close to major urban areas.  A lot of suburban areas, if that's what you're looking for, and still a good bit of rural.  So there's a good cross-section.  We're just outside the city in a little area that time forgot, like Leave it to Beaver.  Neighbors are friendly, everyone looks out for each other, etc.  Until a recent and rare spate of burglaries, my one neighbor never locked his back door.  We'd take care of their dog by just going over and letting ourselves in.  
*Nice state parks.  If you want to hike the Appalachian trail, it runs closeby.  Lots of unfettered nature, amongst the development.
*Great access to fresh food.  Per the sutainable food thread.  What's old is new again.  Right now, everything's booming.
*Nascent local arts and entertainment.  There isn't a huge nightlife or arts scene, but they do get some of both.  Classical: we went to see world-famous violinist Midori last year at the Mt. Gretna theater, which seats under 500, out in the woods.  You don't find that kind of thing anywhere else.  Rock: we just got tickets to the Allman Brothers Band at Hersheypark.  They get a decent bunch of classic rock acts.  Now, your less well known stuff, the cutting edge stuff, that scene looks dead.  Used to be here to some degree 20 years ago, but it's crap now.

Well, that's some of it.  

Cons

*As mentioned, it ain't NY.  If you need that buzz, you'll have to travel.
*Ugly sprawl.  Sprawl is everywhere, but I've been around long enough to see lots of pristine countryside get converted into the same blind repitition of Wal-Mart, Subway, McDonalds, etc., ad infinitum.  Until you learn the back roads, traffic can be just, well, stupid.  Too many cookie-cutter developments, IMO.  The usual.
*Weird people.  OK, this is a very conservative area -- the Alabama in Carville's famous "Alabama between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia" -- which is fine.  Kids get out of school to go hunting.  OK, fine.  But every now and then stuff will make you scratch your head and say "Whaaaa?"  Pockets of racism, like the KKK people down in Hanover.  The Dover evolutionists.  You go on the green belt for a nice walk and see "Nigers" graffiti.  People out of Deliverance, with bad teeth.  Just be prepared.

You'll also have to get ready for the linguistic cross-currents, of Philly-talk, Pittsburgh-talk, and Amish country-talk.  If you don't know what it means to redd up the garage, you will soon enough.  

Let me know if you have any specific questions.  If you move here, I sure as hell am not going biking with you, but maybe we can grab a beer sometime, LOL!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 12:20 »

BTW, also on the cons: COLA is low, but so are wages.  Job scene is mixed, depends on what you do.  Since you have an offer already, not an issue.

Dining is also mixed.  There are some good places and a growing restaurant scene in Harrisburg.  Bad news is that Applebees, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, and their ilk are squeezing out good, original restaurants like overgrowing weeds.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 12:35 »

Neighbors are friendly, everyone looks out for each other, etc.  Until a recent and rare spate of burglaries, my one neighbor never locked his back door.

If Harrisburg doesn't end up being your cup of tea, BV, there's always Houston, TX.

New Neighborhood Watch Program in effect.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 13:19 »

It's about 3.5 hours to Pitt, 90 min to Philly, 60 min to Balty.

There are pros and cons.

It's not going to be as scenic as the Rockies, but there are some landscapes around.  The Appalchians are mere hills compared to what you're used to, though.

Pros

*Cost of living.  You're going to find houses and land are a lot cheaper. 
*Urban/suburban/rural.   OK, Harrisburg itself isn't all that urban, but you're close to major urban areas.  A lot of suburban areas, if that's what you're looking for, and still a good bit of rural.  So there's a good cross-section.  We're just outside the city in a little area that time forgot, like Leave it to Beaver.  Neighbors are friendly, everyone looks out for each other, etc.  Until a recent and rare spate of burglaries, my one neighbor never locked his back door.  We'd take care of their dog by just going over and letting ourselves in. 
*Nice state parks.  If you want to hike the Appalachian trail, it runs closeby.  Lots of unfettered nature, amongst the development.
*Great access to fresh food.  Per the sutainable food thread.  What's old is new again.  Right now, everything's booming.
*Nascent local arts and entertainment.  There isn't a huge nightlife or arts scene, but they do get some of both.  Classical: we went to see world-famous violinist Midori last year at the Mt. Gretna theater, which seats under 500, out in the woods.  You don't find that kind of thing anywhere else.  Rock: we just got tickets to the Allman Brothers Band at Hersheypark.  They get a decent bunch of classic rock acts.  Now, your less well known stuff, the cutting edge stuff, that scene looks dead.  Used to be here to some degree 20 years ago, but it's crap now.

Well, that's some of it. 

Cons

*As mentioned, it ain't NY.  If you need that buzz, you'll have to travel.
*Ugly sprawl.  Sprawl is everywhere, but I've been around long enough to see lots of pristine countryside get converted into the same blind repitition of Wal-Mart, Subway, McDonalds, etc., ad infinitum.  Until you learn the back roads, traffic can be just, well, stupid.  Too many cookie-cutter developments, IMO.  The usual.
*Weird people.  OK, this is a very conservative area -- the Alabama in Carville's famous "Alabama between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia" -- which is fine.  Kids get out of school to go hunting.  OK, fine.  But every now and then stuff will make you scratch your head and say "Whaaaa?"  Pockets of racism, like the KKK people down in Hanover.  The Dover evolutionists.  You go on the green belt for a nice walk and see "Nigers" graffiti.  People out of Deliverance, with bad teeth.  Just be prepared.

You'll also have to get ready for the linguistic cross-currents, of Philly-talk, Pittsburgh-talk, and Amish country-talk.  If you don't know what it means to redd up the garage, you will soon enough. 

Let me know if you have any specific questions.  If you move here, I sure as hell am not going biking with you, but maybe we can grab a beer sometime, LOL!
"Alabama between Philly and Pittsburgh" huh?!?!  Hmmm . . . YIKES!!!!!!!  Thanks for the overview.

Well, the job isn't an offer, but a vacancy that I'm qualified for and the next step up in my "line of work".  If I can get an interview, and can get a reciept from Finny's B&B, there is money to be made (lodging and tax) by both parties.  60/40.

If I move I'll bring my old moutain bike so you can join in.  Knock some weight off and have some fun.  The key is in the bike pants, which I refer to as my diaper pants, because that is what it kind feels like, but it saves the rumpus.  Gotta get your own pants though . . .

I emailed the vacancy announcement to Mrs BV, and she said I could telecommute during non football season and live there during the season.  She loves me, she loves me not . . . .
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2008 at 13:21 by Big Virgil » Logged

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 13:36 »

No, I'm not doing any goddamned biking with you, you insane bastard.  You go biking from Colorado to Canada and back and call it a day on the trails; I gotta take a nap on the way out the sidewalk to the car.  No.  No biking with Virgil.

The Carville quote is both spot-on and dead wrong.  The Mrs. and I drove up to our CSA farm to pick free black raspberries this past Saturday, only to find they were all gone by the time we arrived.  Got lots of "extras" for free (broccoli, lettuce, onions, herbs), and just enjoyed the drive... Saw someone had a cooler at the end of their country lane with a sign "Broccoli $1" and a little can for the honor system.  That's the kind of stuff you find just when you're sick of the sprawl.  

If you ever would decide to move here, we'll let you camp in the backyard for free if you chase away the groundhogs.  Seriously, be glad to help with any advice on particular places to move, or whatever.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 14:11 »

If I wanted to move, it would be tough just getting the house sold in the current market.  If you sell through a relocation company, they buy it from you at the lowest possible price, make a commission and then sell it, obviously, for the highest price they can get.  There is really no incentive for them to even make a decent offer.

Don't know if I could leave Colorado yet.  I don't miss the rain and humidity and some of the people you describe that I will say have, um, you know, "Appalachin heritage"!!!!!!

I found a trail to ride about an hour away, and it has your name on it.  The 1st 6 miles havea net 0 elevation gain.  The next 6 ascend 2000 feet.  The good news is WE can turn around at that point, coast for 6 miles and get in a 24 mile ride.  One little down side is that it starts at 10,000 feet and the highest point is (let's see, 10 + 2 add the zero's) 12,000.  Don't worry about all that crap you hear about visitng teams trying to play at 5,280 feet.  From there to 12,000 is no big deal.  Plenty of oxygen in the hospital after you get there.  

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jul 01, 2008 at 14:46 »

Plus side here, the housing crunch isn't as bad as elsewhere.  Anecdotally: several houses in the neighborhood have come up for sale and sold pretty quickly (same day as opening, for one), with the exceptions being one house where they let weeds grow up, and another that's been up for about a month now.  Prices have dipped somewhat, but not like other areas.

For fuck's sake, Virgil, I am not biking with you.  I'm close enough to being dead as it is, and your sadistic regimen would finish me off.  Exercise cuts into my drinking time, and I plan to try out for the Olympic drinking team, whenever they add that...

The humidity is no shit, though.  Friend from HS visited us, now lives in Zona, couldn't take the humidity... and that was last month.  When camp starts at Latrobe, the shit will really be kicked in.  That's why if you can just lightly jog up a little hill here, it's like the BV 100 mile bike route of death.  Yeah.  You just try drinking a bottle of Scotch and then walking up a hill in this humidity...

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2008 at 07:53 »

It was between 75 and 80 in Indy and Dayton when we were there a week or two ago, which was really nice.  I know it gets ugly in July and Aug.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: