Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 10:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 1545 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jul 11, 2008 at 12:29 »

I'm not usually too thrilled with the usual Hollywood fare, but have seen a few recently that I enjoyed, and two I want to see in the theater.  I'll go further and say that I think most Hollywood comedies blow chunks.  They just don't amuse me.  But these did.

*Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story.  OK, this movie sagged badly in the middle, when it forgot to balance plot and jokes and just tried to move the plot along.  The ending redeemed it somewhat, but the first 15 minutes of this movie had me pissing.  That alone was worth it.  

*Superbad.  Hence, the avatar.  Again, a slight sag in the middle as plot advances while the jokes taper a bit, but not as badly as WH.  Lot of funny lines, this shit just cracked me up.

*Hellboy.  OK, not technically a comedy, but it's in the mix.  No, I wasn't expecting Pan's Labyrinth, and I wasn't disappointed.  Just a big sloppy pile of fun, if you don't take it too seriously.

OK, I want to see:

*Hellboy 2.  More fun.

*The Dark Knight.  I've never been a big fan of any of the recent Batman movies, but I did enjoy Chris Nolan's Batman Begins.  Good press on Ledger's Joker, with the Nolan take on the saga, probably will see.

Sure, there are still a lot of shitty Hollywood movies, but I just figured I'd dispell the AJ Law Theory that I'm the prissiest movie watcher this side of the puffy-shirted one.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2008 at 12:44 »

The new Batman might get me back to a theater. Like you said Findude, Batman Begins was quite good. Could give two shits and a shake about Ledger, but it does look good.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2008 at 12:48 »

I've been wanting to see the first two you mentioned.  Heard an interview of the star along with the writer/director so some such on Fresh Air and it sounded pretty damn funny - they had a ball making the flick and writing the songs.

And there's nothing wrong with Hellboy.  The Dark Horse comics are good, too.

Batman Begins was far superior to the earlier flicks.  It blew Burton's version out of the water.  <suppressing Burton rant>

« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2008 at 12:50 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2008 at 13:02 »

Yeah, I don't hate Burton, but I'm not one of those Burton junkies.  Everything the dude touches is not gold, contrary to some.

Also was unimpressed by the Iron Man trailer, but will prolly catch it on PPV just for S&Gs.  Sometimes I think they pack the worst into the trailers, pandering to the loud & stupid.  

leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2008 at 13:07 »

Yeah, I don't hate Burton, but I'm not one of those Burton junkies.  Everything the dude touches is not gold, contrary to some.

Also was unimpressed by the Iron Man trailer, but will prolly catch it on PPV just for S&Gs.  Sometimes I think they pack the worst into the trailers, pandering to the loud & stupid.
WHO ARE YOU CALLING LOUD?????

oo)

I'm still the one with the boobs.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2008 at 13:49 »

I'm not usually too thrilled with the usual Hollywood fare, but have seen a few recently that I enjoyed, and two I want to see in the theater.  I'll go further and say that I think most Hollywood comedies blow chunks.  They just don't amuse me.  But these did.

*Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story.  OK, this movie sagged badly in the middle, when it forgot to balance plot and jokes and just tried to move the plot along.  The ending redeemed it somewhat, but the first 15 minutes of this movie had me pissing.  That alone was worth it.  

*Superbad.  Hence, the avatar.  Again, a slight sag in the middle as plot advances while the jokes taper a bit, but not as badly as WH.  Lot of funny lines, this shit just cracked me up.

*Hellboy.  OK, not technically a comedy, but it's in the mix.  No, I wasn't expecting Pan's Labyrinth, and I wasn't disappointed.  Just a big sloppy pile of fun, if you don't take it too seriously.

OK, I want to see:

*Hellboy 2.  More fun.

*The Dark Knight.  I've never been a big fan of any of the recent Batman movies, but I did enjoy Chris Nolan's Batman Begins.  Good press on Ledger's Joker, with the Nolan take on the saga, probably will see.

Sure, there are still a lot of shitty Hollywood movies, but I just figured I'd dispell the AJ Law Theory that I'm the prissiest movie watcher this side of the puffy-shirted one.
Uh, McFungus...you been hangin' around with Matty Jones?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2008 at 14:10 »

I can't say enough about the first Hellboy. Didn't know anything about the comic books going in but was extremely impressed with Ron Pearlman's role as Hellboy. I couldn't imagine any other actor pulling that character off. There's something about Selma Blair that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. She's not drop-dead gorgeous but something about her eyes just pulls me in. Can't wait to see the sequel.

As jonzr said, the earlier Batman films were garbage compared to Batman Begins. The trailers for The Dark Knight look incredible.

I saw Wanted last week. Left the theater a bit disappointed. Given all the hype I expected more. Angelina Jolie didn't look nearly as good as she did in Tomb Raider or Mr. & Mrs. Smith. It was entertaining but nothing special.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2008 at 14:56 »

I know what you mean about Selma Blair... reminds me someone I can't put my finger on.

leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2008 at 18:55 »

Personally, I've always been a Supes fan, so disdain anything Bat-dude.  Even though I love Clooney.

That said, Batman Begins was outstanding.  Love Christian Bale, Oldman, Freeman, Caine...good stuff.  The Dark Knight looks even more promising.

Unfortunately, it comes out the Friday before I take the bar, so I may have to wait a few days to see it.  But I definitely plan on seeing it in the theater.  

I do think Heath Ledger was a fine actor.  From everything I've heard, the Joker may have been his masterpiece.

The others I'll see online or Netflix.  Cheaper and easier...

I'm still the one with the boobs.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2008 at 22:00 »

I thought Walk Hard was pretty funny. Weaved in and out of Ray and Walk the Line perfectly. "Guilty as Charged" is fucking brillant.... "Yeah, but then you told about the dream you had when you were licking my balls."

Just watched Charlie Wilson's War. Thought it was pretty good. Philip Seymour Skinner Hoffman was excellent.

Definately going to make it out to see the Dark Knight. Looks like a good action flick.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: