Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 18, 2014 at 10:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying first home  (Read 2657 times)
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Jul 16, 2008 at 22:41 »

I get him to drop it, know Mrs. F. is due home any minute and will freak the fuck out.
Do I have a sign on my lawn that says dead groundhog storage?
you know why you didn't see that sign? because it ain't there, because storing dead groundhogs ain't my fucking business, that's why

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 20:17 »

A few items from the home inspection....

1.  A little water damage in one bedroom ceiling.  It was there a month ago when we first saw the house.  Haven't spread or grown.  Roof was put on in early 2008, so it has a warranty.  Seller will use the roof warranty to look for leaks.  I asked that he repaint the ceiling area.

2.  No dryer vent (thanks for the heads-up jonrz).  It's a house from 1920, and probably has never had a w/d before.  This is a "must add"

3.  Kitchen cabinet needs to be fixed.  Area near door hinge is busted.  The door doesn't close properly.  Have asked to be fixed.

4.  A/C electrical out back needs clamps around the wires.  Have asked to be fixed.

5.  Front and basement door need door sweeps.  Have asked to be added.

6.  Front and basement door need new weather stripping.  Have asked to be added.

7.  Electrical outlet in kitchen needs to be replaced so that "reset" switch works.  Have asked to be added.

8.  Need PRV extended on hot water heater.  Asked to be added.

9.  D/W needs to be bolted to lower cabinets.  Have asked to be added

Not a big list, so I'm pretty happy.  I asked a ton of questions and used a lot of the info you all shared here (copper v. PVC, clear out, foundation, etc.).

The inspector felt the old houses have great foundations and wasn't concerned at all.  

Windows are new so he was pleased with that.  

All electrical outlets worked.  Running at 150A (maybe) for electrical?

HVAC is from 2007.

Skylights upstairs are well sealed.  

Tubs, toilets and sinks drain fast.  Hot H20 heater gets water heated quickly.  

Stove works, microwave works, and D/w work.  

The rest you all probably don't care about.

Good inspection.  Took two and a half hours.  But I learned a lot.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #22 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 23:44 »

I get him to drop it, know Mrs. F. is due home any minute and will freak the fuck out.
Do I have a sign on my lawn that says dead groundhog storage?
you know why you didn't see that sign? because it ain't there, because storing dead groundhogs ain't my fucking business, that's why
Finny done got medieval on that hog's ass.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #23 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 23:49 »

Congrats scacalaki, sounds like minor stuff that you'd expect.  It's good that the guy spent 2.5 hrs.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #24 on: Jul 18, 2008 at 07:37 »

No dryer vent (thanks for the heads-up jonrz).  It's a house from 1920, and probably has never had a w/d before.  This is a "must add"
It really is not necessary to have an external dryer vent. You can buy one from Lowe's for a few bucks that is an internal. We use one in our house. You fill it with water every few days, and it works like a charm. Just an FYI.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Jul 18, 2008 at 08:57 »

No dryer vent (thanks for the heads-up jonrz).  It's a house from 1920, and probably has never had a w/d before.  This is a "must add"
It really is not necessary to have an external dryer vent. You can buy one from Lowe's for a few bucks that is an internal. We use one in our house. You fill it with water every few days, and it works like a charm. Just an FYI.

The rest sounds good.

What kind of heat and hot water?  We have oil for both, and while that's killing my wallet these days, I love the oil hot water/radiatiors.  Fuck ducting and allergens, it's a nice consistent heat, and adds steam in the dry of winter.  Oil hot water means you are NEVER without hot water.  It's instantanously ready.  We've also had natural gas, which is pretty nice.  Not a fan of electric.

We have 100A service that will likely be an update one of these days.  The breaker box looks like it was wired by a kid, and when I have done electrical (various internal and external light fixtures and switches, ceiling fan, range hood), it's been like traveling back in time: fat copper wires with that mummified insulation shredding off.  [*Shudder*]  Plus numerous outlets that just don't work.  Luckily, we are a pretty small footprint couple, and our bills are usually less than what most apartment dwellers pay.

Anyway, sounds like all your shit on that list is totally minor, unless #1 turns out to be a patch over a gunshot wound.

Post pics!
I was going to say the same thing, had heard of people venting internally.  Get that nice clean laundry smell.  Downside is you're blowing moisture somewhere internally, so not clear on whether that's a factor for mold.

1. A little water damage in one bedroom ceiling. It was there a month ago when we first saw the house. Haven't spread or grown. Roof was put on in early 2008, so it has a warranty. Seller will use the roof warranty to look for leaks. I asked that he repaint the ceiling area.

Can you access the area above the ceiling?  Crawl space?  Could be a minor thing fixed by the roof repair, but I'd be curious to see if any of the framing is effed up.  Also, the spot where the leak is might not be directly below the point of entry: sometimes leak run along ceiling joists.  Might be worth investigating.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #26 on: Jul 18, 2008 at 10:07 »

I was going to say the same thing, had heard of people venting internally.  Get that nice clean laundry smell.  Downside is you're blowing moisture somewhere internally, so not clear on whether that's a factor for mold.

We have a dehumidifier downstairs to remove the moisture, so it's all good.
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2008 at 10:08 by vinman3 » Logged

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Jul 23, 2008 at 21:42 »

Heard back from the seller today re: the requests from the home inspection.

He'll accept all but two; those two being clamps for the A/C disconnect box and extending the pressure release valve on the H2O heater.

I thought myself pretty lucky as these are two minor things.  But I figured I didn't mind a minor negotiation so I countered that I would replace the H2O PRV but demanded that he put claimps on the AC disconnect wires.  

He accepted...one less thing I have to do.

Heard from the lender that the appraisal went through with no flaws.

Waiting to hear back from the seller on which home warranty he wants to purchase for us.

I can't imagine how it was a few years ago when there were 5 to 6 contracts on each house.  It's difficult to imagine not having the leverage we do right now.  

Have heard back from a bunch of moving companies (I still don't know anyone here in Baltimore).  Around $75-$90 per hour (4 hr minimum) for 2-3 movers and a truck.  Most don't charge for stairs, ,etc.  Not sure who I'll use yet.

Am trying to decide who I want to be my home insurance carrier...any suggestions?  I'm leaning towards Allstate.  We receive a lot of the home protection discounts due to a nice ADT system being included with the house (though I pay the $41/month for the service).

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #28 on: Jul 23, 2008 at 22:48 »

I have Allstate and haven't had any problems.  Get a discount for having the autos with them as well.  They paid a $12,000 claim the first year we moved in for hail damage to the roof.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Jul 23, 2008 at 23:43 »

They paid a $12,000 claim the first year we moved in for hail damage to the roof.
That wasn't hail.  That was just Otis sneezing.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: