Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 21, 2014 at 15:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekend Plans  (Read 1021 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« on: Jul 17, 2008 at 11:24 »

Nothing exciting here, but a day of diverse activities tomorrow.  

I am plaing golf on Sunday, for the 1st time since last July, so tomorrow I need to hit some ablls on the range.  I'm taking my girls, since they like hitting balls, and after that we are ice skating (their choice).  It is pretty hot here right now, so I figure after an hour or more on the range, spending 90 minutes on the ice rink would be a good way to cool off.  We'll be done with that at about 1:30.  A little lunch, some down time and then a 20 mile trail ride.  Kids likely going to the in-laws Friday afternoon, RR on Saturday with margaritas on the patio and golf on Sunday.

I'm apprehensive about playing golf on Sunday.  I told one guy that I used to play with, if I shoot anywhere near 90 I'll be more horrified than if I shoot 100+.  If I was playing all the time and shooting low 80's to mid 90's (which is why I quit playing) then go out not playing for a year and shoot about the same score, that will be a little frustrating and thought provoking.  I don't care if I only hit my drives 240, as long as they are mostly in the fairway and I have 7 iron to PW in my hands, I'll be fine.  If I'm shanking drives and have 200 for a lot of 2nd shots, I'll be in for a long day.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 12:16 »

I'm taking my girls, since they like hitting balls...
Otis... DON'T DO IT!!!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 12:39 »

I won't.

I played a few weeks back for the first time in almost 6 months. Never got a chance to go to the range beforehand, so I just hit about 20 balls right before teeing off. Just used my 7 iron, nothing else. I hit some horrible shots with the first 10 or so, but then started making decent contact. I made decent contact all day...for me.

The tough thing for me after such a layoff, is getting the putting lag back to normal and trying to have some touch around the green.

My drives are usually all over then place, no matter how often I play.

At the end of my last round, I just focused on a nice slow takeaway and then swung hard with the driver. I hit some of the longest drives ever. Like 270ish...although one had a nice tail wind and bounced along some hard packed ground.

Family coming into town for a visit this weekend. We're having a stretch in the 90s right now, so the pool is getting some good use. And I'm 3 shades darker than that cracker, Jason Kidd.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 14:08 »

IMO, keys to playing/scoring well after a long layoff:
  • Keep expectations low.
  • Focus on touch and short game.
  • Leave the driver in the bag until at least the 6th hole or so.
  • Make sure you're driving the cart and use a pencil with an eraser.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2008 at 14:09 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 14:48 »

Headed to Red River Gorge in Ky for the weekend. Girlfriend and I have a cabin in the woods. Kitchen, deck with hot tub and sauna overlooking a beautiful valley of rock formations and trees. It will have been one year on saturday, her birthday is tuesday. Gonna do some hikin and nature watching. Supposedly a great getaway!

Go Steelers
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 15:06 »

IMO, keys to playing/scoring well after a long layoff:
  • Keep expectations low.
  • Focus on touch and short game.
  • Leave the driver in the bag until at least the 6th hole or so.
  • Make sure you're driving the cart and use a pencil with an eraser.
I think point #4 is the key.  I'll he hoofin it with my bag, so I be able to "improve my lie" if necessary since nobody will be sitting right there.  

1st hole is a non-reachable par 5 (water in front of green so you can't roll it up even close), so a 3 wood off the tee definitely wouldn't hurt.  #2 and #4 are short par 4's and #5 is a par 3.  #3 I can get away with a 3 wood and 6 iron if the pin is front.  Otherwise I gotta let the big dog eat.  From there on out, I'll need the big dog.  The other 3 par 3's are all >200 yards too.

I'll get a feel for what's working, or not, hitting a small bucket before I play too.  

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 15:55 »

Headed to Red River Gorge in Ky for the weekend. Girlfriend and I have a cabin in the woods.

I guess that's the last we'll hear of her.

:slashermovie:

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2008 at 17:01 »

Headed to Red River Gorge in Ky for the weekend. Girlfriend and I have a cabin in the woods. Kitchen, deck with hot tub and sauna overlooking a beautiful valley of rock formations and trees. It will have been one year on saturday, her birthday is tuesday. Gonna do some hikin and nature watching. Supposedly a great getaway!
"nature Watching"

Is that what you're calling it?  Take some pictures of her toshare with us.  We are all gentlemen.     Me Likey!!!!!!!

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jul 21, 2008 at 08:09 »

Sage - How was the weekend with LC?

Ice Skating on Friday was OK.  Kind of fun I guess.  I did it once as a teenager so this was my 2nd time.  I did OK, except I have no idea how to stop, accept for coasting.

Driving range was good.  After 2 swings with the clubs I have used for the last few years I ditched them and I started using my old cavity back mid-sized irons.  I only brought 3 of them, but it was obvious I just can't hit the "blades" at all.  Made an adjustment to eliminate the push/fade/slice on my driver.  That is usually the sequence on the course over 18 holes.  

Golf outing yesterday - The course I played is fairly difficult, but it is a really nice course.  The rating on the front 9 is 135 and the back 9 is 143 for a combined total of 139.  An average muni course, if I am correct, is 125 to 130.  I don't think there is any other course I have played that is as high as 143.  Also, just shy of 7000 yards, at 6950, from the blue tee's which is what we play.  I hit all but two fairways on the front, using my driver.  I had par on the two holes I missed the fairway, so I didn't miss by much.  Good approach shots, coupla 3 putts and had a 41 on the front.  The wheels came off quickly on the back.  I was +5 after 2 holes on the back, which was my total overage on the front.  Another double and triple and on 18 I took an 8 for a total of 50.  Thae last hole was my blow-up hole.  That hole alone, my overall score went from mid 80's to 91.

I had par on all the par 3's (165, 225, 215, 190 yards)  Drove the ball decent enough.  Had a shank on 10 that ended in a triple bogey, and a horrible shank on 18 that started the quad bogey.  Short chips were not good.  Overall putting was better than I expected, but missed a few 3 footers.

I discovered using my hybrid club is a great club to use instead of chipping fromaround the green.  I didn't have more than 2 - 3 feet of long grass between my ball and the fringe so it was pretty limited in use, but very effective.  I almost drained one of them.

Good stuff.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jul 21, 2008 at 08:33 »

I was tricked by the lesbians.  

Mrs. F. told me the lesbians needed help moving "a few heavy things" on Saturday, notably a bid tube-type TV and some furniture.  I should be done in no time, she said.

I arrive, one of three guys doing the moving.  28-foot Penske truck.  94F weather with high humidity, prolly 120F inside the truck if not more.  Not 3 or 4 heavy things.  Not a few.  A brazilian, to paraphrase the joke.  And everything was problematic.  The gongous Kenwood fridge needed to have the doors removed to get it out of the house.  A fridge had to be moved up from the basement.  The washer and dryer both needed their doors removed.  A desk and a dresser needed disassembled to move up and down stairs.  Two banisters needed taken down.  An old stove needed moved out so the new stove could move in, but the old stove was direct wired via 30' of heavy duty direct to the friggin' box.  

Oh, there was plenty more, but those are some highlights.  Needed about 10 guys, but at least the one guy was about 6'5" and built like an OL, works as a probation officer.  Of course, I was the oldest, and the least in shape.  By noon my shirt was drenched.  After 10 hours of busting my ass, I limped home literally bruised and battered.  But at least I didn't bitch out, and frankly, I did shoulder some of the nasty shit: was on the bottom end of taking the W and D downstairs without a dolly, and that washer was heavy as fuck, two people could hardly move it topside.  Also took the bottom job with the rolltop desk.  Just put my shoulder into it both times.  Was also the one who hoisted the fridge up the basement steps on the dolly, just going apeshit on it.  So I didn't just let the younger guys do the nasty shit.

I don't bruise easily, but my armI s are all black and blue.  Everything hurt on me Sunday.  I was totally wasted.  Just useless.  Watched the 2007 cut of Blade Runner with the Mrs. and drank wine.  That's about the extent.  The biceps are back now, though.

That shit will definitely tell you what kind of condition you're in.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: