Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 22, 2014 at 04:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Camp Position Battles  (Read 1991 times)
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 09:19 »

Also hope that Reed keeps up his good work.
Yes, Willie is all ready for another year of polishing wood with his ass.
Funnys as shit, but methinks Scac meant Jeffie.
Yeah, I knew that, but I couldn't help myself.  

I still think that Willie REID should be utilized to return all kicks and punts...SO THERE.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #11 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 10:39 »

Is anyone gonna be at camp this week? Me and a buddy are headin up wednesday and thursday. Might be good to drink a beer with some of ya! :beer:  

Go Steelers
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 10:49 »

Is anyone gonna be at camp this week? Me and a buddy are headin up wednesday and thursday. Might be good to drink a beer with some of ya! :beer:
Can't do the weekdays this year.  Looking more like the last Saturday for us...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 12:57 »

Can't do the weekdays this year.  Looking more like the last Saturday for us...
You're not usin the recent b-day as an excuse are ya? oo)  

Go Steelers
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 13:22 »

Nah, took it easy this weekend.

With the job change, I don't have much vacation time accrued, and am saving that for the 10th anniversary this fall.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 13:27 »

With Kemo and Pola on the PUP with minor dings, and Hamp on PUP for too many big snacks, how will that affect the early going of camp?

Who will get reps at LG?  My guess is Stapleton.  Could be a big boost for a guy who looks about a year away.  Colon would benefit from some time at guard, too, but will likely be battling at RT.  Mahan at LG = who gives a fuck.

IMO, Smith would benefit from getting some SS reps.  I still think he's a helluva hitter, who just needs to play smarter.  If Clark wins out the FS spot, it'd be a shame to have Pola go down and have Carter do fill in with Smith available.  I think Smith could do really well there.

In place of Hamp, we'll prolly see Hoke, but I'd like to see what Prince or Clement could do at the nose.  These UDFA DL guys are interesting...

Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #16 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 14:29 »

With Kemo and Pola on the PUP with minor dings, and Hamp on PUP for too many big snacks, how will that affect the early going of camp?

Who will get reps at LG?  My guess is Stapleton.  Could be a big boost for a guy who looks about a year away.  Colon would benefit from some time at guard, too, but will likely be battling at RT.  Mahan at LG = who gives a fuck.

IMO, Smith would benefit from getting some SS reps.  I still think he's a helluva hitter, who just needs to play smarter.  If Clark wins out the FS spot, it'd be a shame to have Pola go down and have Carter do fill in with Smith available.  I think Smith could do really well there.

In place of Hamp, we'll prolly see Hoke, but I'd like to see what Prince or Clement could do at the nose.  These UDFA DL guys are interesting...
Clipped from www.theinsideronpitts burghsports.com

12:44 p.m. A lot of emails coming in about Willie Reid. Word is Reid got into a skirmish with Antony Smith which is nothing new when it comes to Smith. He's always head hunting in camp. Speaking of Reid, he will battle Dallas Baker for the #5 spot. Right now I'd say Baker has the edge. What Reid has going for is he returns kicks and if he can resemble the player he was in college then he may earn himself a roster spot but he has do have a very good camp and perform very well in the preseason games.

12:35 p.m. Timmons and Mendehall looked very good in drills this morning. One source told me Mendenhall has the look of a superstar. Takes pride in what he does. Timmons seems more confident and you could see it on the field. He has also showed up to camp in great shape.

12:20 p.m. On the offensive line (1st team) the Steelers went with LT Smith, LG Essex, C Mahan, RG Simmons and RT Colon. Many expected to see Mahan at LG today and Hartwig at center but that wasn't the case.

11:35 a.m. - Word is Kendall Simmons, Max Starks and Willie Colon appear to be in excellent shape. Troy Polamalu is being listed as day to day. Could see him practicing tomorrow but Wednesday is a likely target date. Polamalu did watch the first session on the sidelines. LG Chris Kemoeatu was not on the field and the Steelers are being very mum on his situation. There appears to be little concern about Kemoeatu's injury. Practice updates in a bit

Posted by DePaoli Editor-in-Chief of TIOPS at 11:47 AM

I'm not all that shocked that Mahan started at center, I expect it's his job to lose. Essex starting at guard is interesting though. I wasn't even considering him. I thought the natural move would be Starks to RT and Colon to LG.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 14:46 »

Way too early to yak up Mendenhall as a superstar, although in my draft rankings I had him as 1a and Stewart as 1b, with McFadden playing the role of Reggie Bush (overrated speedster).  I think RM could be special, but how quickly will he get worked in and to what degree...?

I've been a big Reid supporter.  I'm not holding my breath.

That OL config is odd, for sure.  But wha if Essex comes in and kicks ass as a guard?  

Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #18 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 15:00 »

I don't care who plays where on the OL, just so the decision is made early on and the unit has time to jell before the games start counting.

Many of the predraft publications had RM above Stewart as well. I assumed he'd be gone in the first 10 picks. To me, it seems like they talking about his work ethic and how he carries himself when they say he "has the look of a superstar". He comes off as very humble and doesn't have that sense of entitlement. I can't wait to see him play.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 15:26 »

I don't care who plays where on the OL, just so the decision is made early on and the unit has time to jell before the games start counting.

Many of the predraft publications had RM above Stewart as well. I assumed he'd be gone in the first 10 picks. To me, it seems like they talking about his work ethic and how he carries himself when they say he "has the look of a superstar". He comes off as very humble and doesn't have that sense of entitlement. I can't wait to see him play.
I see what you're saying.

Kid's got some guns, that's for sure.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: