Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 19, 2014 at 15:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Camp Position Battles  (Read 1966 times)
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« on: Jul 27, 2008 at 09:21 »

So, with the start of camp today, there are some position battles shaping up. Most obvious is at LG. Kemo seems to have a foot in the door here, but will KS and Mahan also make a run? Marvel looks to be the LT, but other than that there will be competition for the remaing spots. The Center battle between Hartwig and Mahan is going to be fierce, but as long as Hartwig isn't a POS he should come out on top. Starks and Colon will be going at it for RG as well.

Then you have Sweed vs Washington. We all know where this will eventually wind up, but just when will Sweed move to #3? If Nate keeps improving, he makes an ok #3, and a very solid #4.

On the other side of the ball, Foote is supposedly hearing Timmons footsteps. We'll see about that. The FS battle should be interesting. How heathly is Clark? Will the bruised and embarrassed Anthony Smith be able to recover?

Most of the roster seems pretty set, but along with practically the entire OL, there are going to be some interesting battles in Latrobe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2008 at 10:36 »

IMO the biggest battle outside of LG is Townshend v. McFadden.  Should be very hotly contested.

Don't know that FWP will be much in competition with Mendenhall, as it seems we have the luxury of easing the rookie in, so the competitions will be FWP v. FWP and RM v. RM...  

There are some interesting depth battles to be resolved, too.  IMO, the entire DL depth is up for grabs.  McBean needs to show NOW.  Kirschke's over and Eason never was; can Hokie hang on?  Can the trio of UDFA DL make a show?

The one competition, wide fucking open, that scares the bejesus outta me...  return men.  Moore looks to be a solid addition as PR, but will he also return kickoffs?  We have guys like Bloom, Reid, Marion, etc., who might be able to hang on the roster if they can just return kickoffs.  Hell, even Mendenhall may get some work there.

Should be an interesting camp.  No "new coach" drama, no unsigned picks, no contract controversies.  Just settle in and get to work.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2008 at 12:40 »

RT will be interesting.  Colon received the nod over Starks last year, presumably because Tomlin/Coach Z felt Colon was better.

Starks filled in at LT for the last few games when Marvel Smith was out with an injury.  I thought Starks was okay at LT.  

In the off-season, Starks was given the transition tag at $7M for this year, though he's not guaranteed anything on the field.  

Talent v. $$$...and in Starks' case, a lot of $$$.  

My preference would be for Starks to play RT and Colon move to LG.  

Kemo has to be about as anti-Faneca as is possible.  Last listing I saw Kemo at was 344#...I assume that means at least 355#.  No way he can pull the way Faneca or any other smaller guard can.  I expect Colon would be a bit better equipped to pull and keep the same style run game in place.  

Colon and Starks on the field is better than Kemo and Colon/Starks IMO.  

I don't know if Hartwig will be any better than Mahan.  I thought Mahan would do a decent job.  Stapleton might be good but will have it rough, despite the talent he likely has, in his first year calling the shots along the OL.  

For Washington v. Sweed, my guess is Washington remains the #3 but that Sweed is used often inside the 20.  I recall how much difficulty Santonio Holmes had his rook year with the routes.  I would expect the same for any rook WR.  But I do expect, much like #89 was used heavily in the EZ early last year, Sweed will see plenty of looks inside the 20 yard line.  My guess is 5 TDs for Sweed in 08.  Moving forward, Washington walks and Sweed moves into the #3.  

Moore should be good on PR.  We haven't had a good KR since ARE.  Though, I would say the STs unit has been bad on both returns and coverage in the past two years.  

The advantage of Mendenhall will come if/when the postseason arrives.  If we can keep Parker between 13-18 carries a game, he'll be well rested.  

I hope Sepulveda continues to improve.  That could greatly help STs.  

Also hope that Reed keeps up his good work.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2008 at 18:24 »

From Wex's site, Hampton will start off on the PUP list due to reporting to camp out of shape.  

Others on the PUP are Polamalu and Kemoeatu, both due to recovering from minor injury/ailment.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2008 at 18:50 »

Yes, Willie is all ready for another year of polishing wood with his ass.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
dcity21

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2008 at 18:52 »

the way faneca moved around it is hard to imagine not much pulling, but from the few times i actually watched Kemo (granted it was against Balt and the preseason, and i don't know much about football) it looked like he was just blowing open holes on his side of the line..

He just seemed to be absolutely mauling anyone that came into, or around that lane..

Not the same style but, if he continues to do so, still effective in the run game..  

"i don't know Nutting about baseball.. but i know about Nutting over making some cash.." Ownership ROCKS!!!
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2008 at 20:08 »

Seems like Kemo can run block, but the real question is can he help protect BR effectively.

Also to clarify, I meant Starks and Colon would battle for RT, not RG as I originally posted. What about an OL consisting of Smith, Simmons at LG, Hartwig, Starks at RG, and Colon at RT?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 08:10 »

Yes, Willie is all ready for another year of polishing wood with his ass.
Funnys as shit, but methinks Scac meant Jeffie.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 08:13 »

I think Kemo will blow up guys one-on-one, but may have trouble with picking up movement and stunts.  He'll be rgeat for 5 yards, but if you need him out on the perimeter chipping blocks you may need to wait a bit for him to get there.  Pros: big and strong; cons: slow and dim?

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2008 at 09:18 »

I think Kemo will blow up guys one-on-one, but may have trouble with picking up movement and stunts.  He'll be rgeat for 5 yards, but if you need him out on the perimeter chipping blocks you may need to wait a bit for him to get there.  Pros: big and strong; cons: slow and dim?
Nice avatar Finny. " Hi, I'm McLovin and I'd like to buy some..(Pow!)"

I am really interested to see how the FWP/RM combo is used. I am sure we will see FWP in a single back set. And Davis will line up as FB sometimes. But the possibilities when both of them are in the BF are limitless( so to speak). RM could line up as FB and take a quick handoff. The guy can catch too. Imagine them both coming out of the backfield and running routes? Could be devastating. I'm not sure that BA is the right man to effectively work all these options, but he has got to be excited about it.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: