Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 29, 2014 at 23:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WSOP  (Read 861 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« on: Jul 30, 2008 at 08:47 »

Anyone watch this?  I recorded it, but the last 2 players were "all in" on what I'm assuming was the last hand when my recording ended.  It was two guys named Hinkle and Akenhead.  I don't see an update on ESPN's poker page and I try not to look there so I can watch the main event, a month from now, and not know ahead of time what happens.

Speaking of Pocket Kings, one dude lost two hands last night on pocket aces.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2008 at 09:56 »

Big stack (Hinkle) was first to act and raised with 10d4d; Akenhead looks down and sees AhKc (I'm not 100% on the suits) and RRAI; Hinkle thinks for a few seconds and makes a somewhat loose (IMO) call.  

Granted, Hinkle had him covered about 2.5:1 in chips, but IIRC he was getting less than 2:1 on his money and at best he's a 2:1 to 2.5:1 dog to win the hand.  Luckily for him, he got this best case scenario when Akenhead flipped over two over cards.  His luck really kicked into high gear when he flopped a boat 10 4 10.  The turn brought the case 10 for quad 10s and Akenhead was drawing dead on the river.

Tran lost a couple times with aces, but he misplayed one hand and made a bad fold, IMO, but the dude was a card rack at the final table.  He picked up aces several times, queens, pocket 7s once or twice and some other decent marginal hands like KQ and AJ.

If you really want to see that last hand unfold, I'm sure they'll rerun last night's episode like, 24 times before next Tuesday.  Just set it to record one of the late night episodes so it doesn't overlap with any prime time programming you record.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2008 at 12:22 »

Thanks for the scoop.  

That was a very loose call, and somewhat lucky.  Hinkle was getting hit upside the head with good cards all night.  There were a couple of times I didn't think he should be in the hand, like when he had 5d3h, and got a straight out of it and another hand finished with a FH to beat Tran's trip aces.

I'd rather see guys like Hinkle and Akenhead win over guys like Tran.

I'll have to tell the kids we can't watch Cash Cab anymore while the WSOP is on.
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2008 at 12:25 by Big Virgil » Logged

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2008 at 13:18 »

Big stack (Hinkle) was first to act and raised with 10d4d; Akenhead looks down and sees AhKc (I'm not 100% on the suits) and RRAI; Hinkle thinks for a few seconds and makes a somewhat loose (IMO) call.  

You know what, now that I think about it, I believe it was Hinkle that RRAI.

Sorry about being a little foggy on the details.  It was a late night and the wife had knee surgery yesterday; I didn't want to get up to come to work; etc., etc.

Basically, it was either the scenario that I mentioned in my earlier post or Hinkle open raises; Akenhead 3bets; Hinkle shoves and gets insta-called.  That line sounds a little more reasonable and is probably what actually went down.

And, keep in mind that what we're seeing is edited for TV.  I've read from a few guys that were there that Hinkle was very active, but was getting pushed around a bit in hands that weren't shown.  Someone said that he had raised 2 or 3 times prior to the KO hand and Akenhead came back over the top only to have Hinkle eventually fold.  Guess he decided enough was enough, took a stand and got lucky.  Or, maybe he had a read on him.

*shrugs*

Either way, it's difficult to accurately assess someone's play when we only see a fraction of the hands that they've played in the last 8 to 10 hours.  He did get lucky in a couple spots (like catching that open ender on the river that you mentioned), but that doesn't guarantee you much.  

I mean, look at Tran.  He was absolutely getting hit with the deck in the early hours of that final table and he busts in 4th.  I swear that the same thing happens to me all the time when I play in bigger tourneys.  I get big hands and either don't get paid off or they get cracked and I bust somewhere in the middle.  OTOH, when I'm card dead and I'm forced to play the table more, I have better success and tend to go deeper.  IMO, one of the biggest keys in those kind of tourneys is fold equity and not going to showdown.  When you take a pot down uncontested, you might not get the most value, but you're also not going to get sucked out on either.

Playing at the WSOP is a goal of mine.  Maybe not the ME, but I'd like to get in some of the smaller, bracelet tourneys.  Next year I'm going to make a bigger run at winning a seat.

dwolfrules
Member Author
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2008 at 17:34 »

you can find results for that event (event #2) and all the events at http://www.worldseriesofpoker.com/tourney/...asp?groupID=411.  

when you click on results for event #2, on the next page click tournament updates and it will show you a breakdown of the final hand.

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2008 at 17:36 »

There's some local guy that is at the final table of some WSOP event. I think it doesn't start up again for a few weeks or months. You fellas would know better.

Not sure his name...maybe a trucker and I think he wears a Cards hat. That really doesn't narrow it down locally. I think he may be from Alton, IL which isn't too far away.

dwolfrules
Member Author
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2008 at 17:49 »

Official November Nine Chip Counts and Seat Assignments  On November 9th, 2008, the following nine players will return to the felt with 21 minutes and 50 seconds left in level 33:
Dennis Phillips - 26,295,000
Craig Marquis - 10,210,000
Ylon Schwartz - 12,525,000
Scott Montgomery - 19,690,000
Darus Suharto - 12,520,000
David 'Chino' Rheem - 10,230,000
Ivan Demidov - 24,400,000
Kelly Kim - 2,620,000
Peter Eastgate - 18,375,000

the world series circuit came to Atlantic City in March.  a few of my buddies and i went and played in a $300 buy-in no limit event.  for those that follow the WSOP every year, Steve Dannenmann was there.  when i saw him during one of the breaks, i turned to my buddy and said 'what the hell is he doing playing a $300 buy-in tournament'.  the next day i'm playing $1/$2 no limit at the Tropicana and guess who shows up for the daily $30 (i think) tournament.  

none of us made the money in our tournament but it was an awesome experience.  the circuit is coming back to AC in December and the guys and i are probably heading there again.
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2008 at 17:51 by dwolfrules » Logged

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2008 at 18:08 »

Dennis Phillips is a 53-year-old account manager for a commercial trucking company who lives in the suburban town of Cottage Hills, Illinois, but he calls St. Louis, Missouri, his home. That, in fact, is where he won a World Series of Poker satellite at Harrah
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 11:05 »

Scott Montgomery is playing well and having a very good year.  IIRC, he final tabled a WPT event (LA Poker Classic??) earlier this year as well for a solid 300K+ score.

At least, I'm pretty sure it's the same guy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: