Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 18, 2014 at 07:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do about the tackles  (Read 1044 times)
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« on: Jul 30, 2008 at 12:49 »

We have 4 tackles that could walk after 2008-  IMHO, you need to extend 1 if not two of them before the season starts.  I don't know how you'd compensate for such a mass exodus in 2009.

If you are Colbert or the coaches, who do you go after, if any?

Starks???
Smith???
Essex???
Colon???
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2008 at 13:02 »

IMO, Starks and Colon. Smith is getting up there in age, and with his history of injury problems, I think it is time to bid adieu. Essex, if he was the better tackle, he would be starting over Colon already....Though Colon could end up at guard. But if I had to choose 2 of the 4 those would be my choices.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2008 at 13:18 »

In terms of talent as of right now, I'd rank them Smith, Starks, Colon, Essex.

Upside?  Starks, Colon, Smith, Essex.

In terms of contract feasibility?  Essex, Smith, Colon, Starks.

In terms of OL flexibility?  Starks (LT and RT), Smith (LT and RT), Essex (LT, RT, OG?), and Colon (RT, OG?).

So there are lots of factors to consider.  Say the transition tag allows us to extend Smith, even though the extension deadline for franchise tag players has passed (still not clear on this).  I'd say Starks would be priority #1, due to the insane cap hit for 2008: getting that fixed would allow us to extend other players.  If that works, what do you do?  If not, what do you do?

I think either way, I would approach Smith about a 3 year extension, as insurance if Hills doesn't step up and for a year or 2 of backup.  SMALL deal.

Colon and Essex would probably not require a ton to retain either.  Depending on how they look playing OG could change my opinion.  Personally, I'd put Colon over Essex and go for a 4-5 year.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2008 at 13:21 »

IMO, Starks and Colon. Smith is getting up there in age, and with his history of injury problems, I think it is time to bid adieu. Essex, if he was the better tackle, he would be starting over Colon already....Though Colon could end up at guard. But if I had to choose 2 of the 4 those would be my choices.
I agree Vinman...Too much upside in Colon, and Starks has shown he can get it done, kinda....  Then again, Starks may be impossible to sign if we don't do it soon.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
Hercules50!
N00b

« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2008 at 13:37 »

This is a concern, but I would be surprised if there is a mass exodus. Are people really going to be beating down the door for Colon or Essex?

I think things will unfold this way:

* Starks will win a starting job at RT, and will be offered a multiyear deal right before the season opens. It won't be as huge as it would be if he's on the open market, but it will be smart for him to lock into some cash that a season-ending injury would wipe out.

* Smith will have a nice year and then be allowed to leave

* Colon will start at guard and be willing to re-sign here at year's end -- won't he be an RFA?

* We'll be spending a first- or second-round pick on an OT next year.

* As for Essex, I think he's just a body at this point. He'll either leave or stay and ride the pine, so his status is kind of a wash.
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2008 at 13:38 by Hercules50! » Logged
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2008 at 14:24 »

Colon will be an RFA, I believe.  That gives us some leverage.

I used to think Smith would be allowed to walk, now not so sure, unless it comes down to dollars...

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2008 at 21:25 »

This is a concern, but I would be surprised if there is a mass exodus. Are people really going to be beating down the door for Colon or Essex?

I think things will unfold this way:

* Starks will win a starting job at RT, and will be offered a multiyear deal right before the season opens. It won't be as huge as it would be if he's on the open market, but it will be smart for him to lock into some cash that a season-ending injury would wipe out.

* Smith will have a nice year and then be allowed to leave

* Colon will start at guard and be willing to re-sign here at year's end -- won't he be an RFA?

* We'll be spending a first- or second-round pick on an OT next year.

* As for Essex, I think he's just a body at this point. He'll either leave or stay and ride the pine, so his status is kind of a wash.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...urce=rss&feed=9

You might be right on, except it sounds like Colon will still be the starting RT.  Reading between the lines of this article, it sure sounds like Max is going to be the 2009 successor to Marvel at LT.

So at a minimum, we probably need to do a deal with Starks this camp, and like you said, may be able to get a friendlier deal.

Sounds like we need to think about extending Kemo for left guard as well.  Can't take the chance he has a killer season and bolts.  The coaches seem to like him alot.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2008 at 21:26 by DCSteelers » Logged
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 10:54 »

Reading between the lines of this article, it sure sounds like Max is going to be the 2009 successor to Marvel at LT.

I really hope that all the reports of Starks "slimming down" helps improve his footspeed because if it didn't, that '09 plan sucks.  Even then, I'm not sure it's worth risking getting your 100 million dollar QB killed in the process to see if Starks is can handle the job.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2008 at 11:33 »

Reading between the lines of this article, it sure sounds like Max is going to be the 2009 successor to Marvel at LT.

I really hope that all the reports of Starks "slimming down" helps improve his footspeed because if it didn't, that '09 plan sucks.  Even then, I'm not sure it's worth risking getting your 100 million dollar QB killed in the process to see if Starks is can handle the job.
Yet he can't beat Colon at RT, and is getting schooled on 2nd team.

That transition tag looks pretty fucking ridiculous right now.

Pray Hills improves at LT.

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 01:20 »

The starters were Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison (groin), cornerback Deshea Townsend (groin), defensive end Brett Keisel (groin), guard Kendall Simmons (shoulder) and left tackle Marvel Smith (back). Tomlin said Simmons and Smith sat out for precautionary reasons and should practice today.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08218/901922-66.stm

Huh? I thought the surgery made him feel the best ever? Maybe that's why we transitioned Starks.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 06:58 »

The starters were Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison (groin), cornerback Deshea Townsend (groin), defensive end Brett Keisel (groin), guard Kendall Simmons (shoulder) and left tackle Marvel Smith (back). Tomlin said Simmons and Smith sat out for precautionary reasons and should practice today.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08218/901922-66.stm

Huh? I thought the surgery made him feel the best ever? Maybe that's why we transitioned Starks.

Veterans' day off.

Can't say everyone is out with a groiner.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #11 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 09:27 »

Veterans' day off.

They need to get a little more creative and start going with some mental health maladies.  

"Mr. Smith is suffering from acute bi-polar disorder and experienced a psychotic break last evening.  He'll be in group therapy while we regulate his meds.  We're hoping ECT will not be necessary this time because it really pisses him off when his memory comes back."

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 10:04 »

Veterans' day off.

They need to get a little more creative and start going with some mental health maladies.  

"Mr. Smith is suffering from acute bi-polar disorder and experienced a psychotic break last evening.  He'll be in group therapy while we regulate his meds.  We're hoping ECT will not be necessary this time because it really pisses him off when his memory comes back."
Or, in shorthand:  "Mr. Smith has a Shawn Andrews."

Really obscure diseases would be cool.

"James Harrison is out with a touch of Landau Kleffner syndrome, but we're not worried about it at this time..."

"Max Starks has what we thought was Achard Thiers Syndrome, but which we now believe to be Rothmund Thomson Syndrome, so that's a relief to us all.  He's day to day."

"Anthony Smith's groin is better, but he has Wiedemann Rautenstrauch Syndrome, so we are keeping him out as a precaution."

"Casey Hampton will continue his independent workout, but he has been hampered by Greig Cephalopolysyndactyly Syndrome, so we don't have a timetable for Casey."

"Brett Keisel has Cerebrotendinous Xanthomatosus, which he had last year at camp, so we don't think this will limit him for long."

"Deshea Townshend has Caudal Regression Syndrome, which we're treating with aspirin.  He should be 50-50 for Friday's preseason game."

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #13 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 10:25 »

"Gary Russell's balls are severely swollen.  The treatment is ice minus bludgeoning blows to the balls.  He'll be back out when he can reasonably stand to put his legs together."

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 12:13 »

"Gary Russell's balls are severely swollen.  The treatment is ice minus bludgeoning blows to the balls.  He'll be back out when he can reasonably stand to put his legs together."
Dude, my left eye couldn't stop twitchin' for like five minutes after reading that...

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 13:24 »

With no Capazzi, it seems that Smith, Starks, and Hills are the only natural LT's on the team right now. Starks was moved to RT as a rook, but considers himself a "natural" LT. I don't think Marvel gets extended, and I'm good with that. Unless he gives a hometown discount, its Faneca 2.0. Someone will pony up big money to Probowl LT. That leaves either Starks or Hills at LT for '09. If Starks doesn't get a long term deal before the season, you have to wonder if he will walk next year too. Hills better be learning and prepping right now.

On the right, Colon seems like the guy to wrap up. Same scenario for Starks on the right. Would like to keep him around, but we'll see if the right deal can be struck, and if he plays well.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: