Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 06:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Little Help Please  (Read 849 times)
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Aug 05, 2008 at 18:23 »

You know, back in high school or college, they'd go thru one of those exercises to show how results differ depending on how detailed the instructions were?

They might send someone to the board and have someone from the class look at a drawing and attempt to verbally give instructions to the person at the board to get a matching result.

I'm just wondering where (online) I could find an exercise like this.

Anyone know what I'm referring to? Need something along these lines for an exercise at  a seminar for writing Standard Operating Procedures.

VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 18:30 »

You know, back in high school or college, they'd go thru one of those exercises to show how results differ depending on how detailed the instructions were?

They might send someone to the board and have someone from the class look at a drawing and attempt to verbally give instructions to the person at the board to get a matching result.

I'm just wondering where (online) I could find an exercise like this.

Anyone know what I'm referring to? Need something along these lines for an exercise at  a seminar for writing Standard Operating Procedures.
Yeah I had to do something like that, not sure where to find it though.

Teacher had us sit back to back...one person had a big completed jigsaw puzzle & the other had the same puzzle scattered.  Guy "A" had to tell guy "B" how to complete it by describing the pieces and where they fit.

Something like that?  

and when the gas runs out, just wreck it, you've insured the thing.  -Soul Coughing
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 18:37 »

Same idea, yeah.

Basically just an exercise to show that if instructions aren't detailed enough, you can give them to a group of people and everyone will come up with something a little different.

I think the one we did had someone go to the board, but they couldn't face the class. Then we had to try and get him to draw the image that only we could see.

I figured there must be some of these exercises online, but I don't really know what to search.

It doesn't help that my Google searches seem to always show up as "oiled lesbians". Force of habit.

VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 18:37 »

This might help

http://illuminations.nctm.org/LessonDetail.aspx?ID=L168

and when the gas runs out, just wreck it, you've insured the thing.  -Soul Coughing
VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 18:45 »

http://imej.wfu.edu/articles/2001/2/05/printver.asp

or this...i didn't look at these but the link sounded good.  maybe they'll at least get you in the right direction

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 18:49 »

Thanks dude.

Perhaps use that tangram deal from the first link as the 'puzzle'.
VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2008 at 19:58 »

No problem.

It doesn't help that my Google searches seem to always show up as "oiled lesbians". Force of habit.

I sympathize.  Maybe you should've posted this in the Adult area, I'd like to see the results.

sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2008 at 08:01 »

I've done an activity where the kids write directions on how to do something, and then read them to the class and have the class follow their directions. Things like making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Ex: put peanut butter on bread as opposed to open peanut butter jar, insert knife, etc...  Very funny watching kids follow directions exactly!

Go Steelers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: